Jump to content

Is there a shortage of Football Officials in NKY?


Recommended Posts

I had someone tell me the Lloyd vs. Beechwood game this week was moved to Thursday due to a shortage of football officials in NKY?  Was the game moved, was that why the game was moved, and more importantly is there a shortage of football officials in NKY?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am an official for football, soccer and basketball.  There is a shortage.  I don't let parents bother me but not all people can move past the things that are said.  I have been threatened and called

These are Administration problems as well, IMO. If you're hosting an event and allow a parent to berate officials like that, it's a bad look for the school/host. 

Many of those new officials quit without even doing a game from my understanding. I agree coaches and parents need to be reined in.  It's bad in all sports, not just football.  As a coach, I set

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, theguru said:

I had someone tell me the Lloyd vs. Beechwood game this week was moved to Thursday due to a shortage of football officials in NKY?  Was the game moved, was that why the game was moved, and more importantly is there a shortage of football officials in NKY?

I saw on KHSAA that was moved to Thursday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I saw on KHSAA that was moved to Thursday.

Thanks!  I assumed my info was correct but wanted to be sure that it was in fact moved.  And I was told it was due to officiating.  What is going on?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, theguru said:

Thanks!  I assumed my info was correct but wanted to be sure that it was in fact moved.  And I was told it was due to officiating.  What is going on?

I was at McCallisters and I had St. X football shirt on and a guy asked if I played football and I said yes. He said he was a football official and asked if I would be interested in becoming one. I told him I'm already one for track. I think they are short officials and always looking for new ones.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tigerpride94 said:

I was at McCallisters and I had St. X football shirt on and a guy asked if I played football and I said yes. He said he was a football official and asked if I would be interested in becoming one. I told him I'm already one for track. I think they are short officials and always looking for new ones.

Who do you play football for? 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, there is a big shortage of officials, in NKY and across the state. Between the shortage, quarantines and injuries, I believe the game was looking at having less than 5 officials……

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a shortage as others has said. NKY has borrowed officials from the Lexington and Louisville regions. Many of these guys do college games too which sometimes requires travel. It currently looks like the situation is only going to get worse. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The NKOA gives on the job training to new officials, shares learning resources, mentors, and coach rather than chastise.  They are very interested in the success of new officials. 

Every game film your team has on huddle, the NKOA also has on theirs.  They review, peer evaluate, and learn from errors .  They cover the official's field position, their mechanics, and teach from these as does your high school coach.

As a new official, you start out by shadowing a more experienced official starting in scrimmages and build your way up to Friday night lights,  In NKY, there are opportunities to get experience officiating youth, middle school, freshman, and JV games to build the skill level and confidence to do Friday nights.

https://nkoafootball.com/

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I’ve heard, many of the new officials at the beginning of the year have already quit. We’ve had discussions about it at the youth level.

If you do officiate, then please, please take a minute to understand the rules of the game at hand. I can live with bad calls and even inconsistencies, but to say you don’t know the rules at that level, it drives me nuts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.