Coaches are upset about Covid forfeit rule

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm slow  to respond to all of this, because despite the fact that I've been working elbows-deep on the front lines of the covid pandemic, most Kentuckians don't care about the truth. It is the u

If adults had done what they should have to this point, the children wouldn’t be in masks and missing out on opportunities.  How would you handle a scenario like the one I described?

We disagree, no one is stopping COVID, we have to live with it.  And at this point it appears vaccinated people are the ones spreading it and not unvaccinated people with natural immunity.  Masks don'

What’s to be upset about? If your team has the issue and you can’t reschedule, it should be a forfeit. That would be the case in any other scenario.

• Like 1

I understand, we are in our third year of making an example out of high school sports over a virus we have little control over. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, theguru said:

I understand, we are in our third year of making an example out of high school sports over a virus we have little control over. 

Remove the virus.

If a team doesn’t have enough players to field a team and the game can’t be rescheduled, what is the outcome?

• Like 1
Just now, TheDeuce said:

Remove the virus.

If a team doesn’t have enough players to field a team and the game can’t be rescheduled, what is the outcome?

Considering we are all possible carriers of the virus I would remove the virus from the equation when it comes to children.

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

Considering we are all possible carriers of the virus I would remove the virus from the equation when it comes to children.

If adults had done what they should have to this point, the children wouldn’t be in masks and missing out on opportunities. 

How would you handle a scenario like the one I described?

• Like 7
1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

If adults had done what they should have to this point, the children wouldn’t be in masks and missing out on opportunities. 

How would you handle a scenario like the one I described?

We disagree, no one is stopping COVID, we have to live with it.  And at this point it appears vaccinated people are the ones spreading it and not unvaccinated people with natural immunity.  Masks don't work, even N95s from a recent study, so there is nothing any adult is going to do to stop anything.

On your scenario, I don't think it is realistic but to answer you forfeit. 

• Like 6

@gchs_uk9 and I discussed this a little bit last night in the Paul Laurence Dunbar - 2021 Schedule thread.

So...the basics of the KHSAA's current rule for COVID cancellations:

Team X and Team Y agree to play on Sep 17. The week of the game, Team X has to go into quarantine under COVID protocol, and thereby cancels the game on Sep 17. Team Y now has no game, despite being able to play a game. At this point, Team X is awarded a forfeit loss, and Team Y is awarded a forfeit win.

Team Y, who is still healthy, is allowed to try and find another game to play if they so choose. If Team Y does manage to scramble and find another team to play and they schedule a different game for Sep 17, then there is no forfeit between Team X and Team Y, and the original game between Team X and Team Y is completely erased.

Once Team Y has scheduled a new game against a new team for Sep 17, thereby nullifying the forfeit win from the originally-scheduled game against Team X, that means Team X has one fewer game on their schedule. If Team X still has an available bye week remaining on their schedule, they are able to utilize that bye week to scramble and find a new team to play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If teams reschedule with another opponent like a lot have this week then it shouldn’t be a forfeit and let’s be realistic the only time the forfeit is going to matter is in district games. I mean I guess it could affect the rpi but it’s hard to predict that. Here’s my only scenario that doesn’t make sense, if you forfeit games that can’t be rescheduled then that team finds a replacement so if they schedule 3 replacements this year and go 8-2 does that mean they get to count 11 wins this season.

I think since virus not going away and teams have to cancel, just treat it like was no game. Maybe treat district games different and make those forfeits. St. X lost a home game in playoffs last year because couldn't play Manual and they only had slightly higher RPI.

39 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

When does a team have to go into COVID protocol? 

The way I understand it, is if unvaccinated, you have to quarantine if in contact with covid positive person. If vaccinated then don't have to quarantine unless have symptoms. Some teams don't have enough kids vaccinated so makes their numbers drop to not be able field a team due to quarantine.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

And at this point it appears vaccinated people are the ones spreading it and not unvaccinated people with natural immunity. 

Don't do that here, please. 

• Like 5

I don’t think it’s a big deal as far as win/loss. I think alternative options presented here are pretty good solutions. The part I don’t agree with and is in bad taste is the forfeit fee. It appears if your team gets Covid and has to cancel you take the L and have to write a check. That is rough.