High School Player Considers Skipping Senior Year

Just read an article where a highly ranked high school player is looking at skipping his senior year and go on to college. Driving it is money now that they can using their NIL. I hope this isn’t something we’ll be seeing a lot of. 

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to High School Player Considers Skipping Senior Year

I saw this headline too. He'll be better served playing and gaining more exposure to help his brand before heading to Ohio St. Having a few national high lights from a Rivals camp isn't going to do much long term. 

Someone could be in the kids ear laying out different scenarios like injuries, getting on with college career, etc. Who knows. I agree kids are better served long term completing high school and allow themselves to grow physically and mentally. And just enjoy it—you don’t get those days back! 

This seems to be a thing more in basketball.  I do not for see this to be the norm in football.  While injuries is a concern for top recruits, football is not a sport you can take a year off and get better.  The body of a young man is still developing through high school and the game becomes faster in college.  Yes, he will earn $$ being a top recruit and going to play in Columbus but he is also going to compete for a job with other 5 star players.  Hope this kid is not being handled (advised) the wrong way and wish him the best.

Maurice Clarett comes to mind when I look at this situation.  Great RB for the buckeyes back in the early 00's. He was strongly advise to make the jump to the league for the $$ and avoid injury...  

• Like 1