Looking ahead (5A) - The Warren County football war

Of the big rivalries in this class - CovCath/Highlands, Douglass/Scott County, to name a couple - the yearly Bowling Green/South Warren duel holds my attention more than any other. Its origin is fresh, and the lines in the sand are clear. The Spartans' ascension to a championship program was pretty swift, and it ran simultaneously with BG's domination of 5A from 2011-2016. The two schools could only avoid one another for so long. With SW's numbers rising, it was inevitable that they would eventually become district mates. That finally transpired in the middle of an alignment cycle, between the 2016 and 2017 seasons. It's been a heated, back and forth tug-of-war ever since. 

2017: BG hangs a running clock on SW in their first ever meeting, but the Spartans laugh last with a 28-21 stunner in the playoffs.

2018: SW turns the Purples over five times and controls the action in a 38-12 victory on their way to an unbeaten championship season.

2019: BG claims a pair of low scoring, defensive contests to edge back ahead in the young series.

2020: Defensive excellence carried over into the next season, with the Spartans eking out a 10-7 win in October. Seven turnovers doomed the Spartans in the playoffs, as the Purples exacted some revenge en route to last year's state title.

Bowling Green owns a 4-3 edge heading into this season, but the Spartans may be primed to even things back up this year, or even pull ahead. The battle for the soul of Warren County football rages on...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well said @DevilMayCare!  Only once (in 2018, when Owensboro got revenge on the Purples in the Playoffs) since these 2 have been district mates have they not played twice in a season.  No offense to Greenwood or Christian County, but if that happens again anytime soon, it will be a BIG upset in my book.

BG's more recent championships prior to South being a district mate (2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, and 2016) and South's 2015 4A title don't seem to count when you are thinking of this rivalry IMO (because they didn't have to go through each other to win it).  So when South won the 5A championship back in 2018 in what I like to call the Lacey Championship, the 2020 BG Covid Championship was really important for BG to get back in the game so to speak.  And they did.

This upcoming season is really intriguing.  The 2021 South Warren team is the one they have been grooming and putting together since that Lacey Championship.  This will be SR (recent WKU commit - congrats and Go Tops!) QB Caden Veltcamp's THIRD starting season of varsity ball.  That doesn't happen a lot around here.  Add to that a very good RB in third year starter SR Kobe Martin, SR 3rd year starter WR/DB Arvin Bell (very underrated) and the most athletic kicker in the state 3rd year starter K/WR SR Eldar Dervicevic .  On defense, just to name 2 - both 3rd year starters DL Jake Jackson and LB Luke Burton are as stable and disruptive as they come and will be seniors this year.  Now to add the hot sauce to the bread - JR stud Christian Conyers who plays WR, kick returner, and DB and likely sells popcorn too transferred from where - yep, BG.  If you watch that last BG/South game there are intense confrontations around Mr. Conyers and I expect that to continue.  Again, all part of the rivalry.

On paper, this is the year for South.  They need to make hay while the sun shines.  But the Purples won't roll over and will have a very good team of their own with what I'm going to call right now having the ability to possess a championship level defense early on in the season with so many back from a stout championship defense in 2020 (they already know what it takes).  The BG offense has many more questions; can the Purples solve those?  Or will the Spartans get that bad taste from that 8 (I think it was actually 8 turnovers the last game DMC) turnover CRAZY playoff game last year out of their mouths?  The good thing is that we are close to guaranteed for 2 more exciting matchups this upcoming season!  Buckle up sports fans....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Purple88 said:

On paper, this is the year for South.  They need to make hay while the sun shines.  But the Purples won't roll over and will have a very good team of their own with what I'm going to call right now having the ability to possess a championship level defense early on in the season with so many back from a stout championship defense in 2020 (they already know what it takes).  The BG offense has many more questions; can the Purples solve those?  Or will the Spartans get that bad taste from that 8 (I think it was actually 8 turnovers the last game DMC) turnover CRAZY playoff game last year out of their mouths?  The good thing is that we are close to guaranteed for 2 more exciting matchups this upcoming season!  Buckle up sports fans....

Seven, eight.... at that point, who's counting, lol? It was a comedy of errors. It's hard to imagine another game like that for either team this year. You know the Spartans that played that night can't wait to get back on the field against the Purples to try and atone for how that game unfolded.

15 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

Seven, eight.... at that point, who's counting, lol? It was a comedy of errors. It's hard to imagine another game like that for either team this year. You know the Spartans that played that night can't wait to get back on the field against the Purples to try and atone for how things that game unfolded.

That's the thing with the rivalry's you spoke about above (CovCath/Highlands, Scott County, Freddie Douglas and BG/South), is that one of these teams is knocking the other out every year.  Sending seniors home for the last time OUT.  That matters and yes, the South players are thinking about nothing else but that first BG game I'd say; just like BG was thinking about playing South and atoning for their losses in 17 and 18.

• Like 1

Outside of the obvious Louisville rivalries, BG/South has quickly turned into a a top 5 rivalry throughout entire state, IMO. Really fun to watch. Air is thick with tension! 

Even as a Purples fan, it is fairly obvious that South shot themselves in the foot last November with all the turnovers.

South will (should) have one of their better teams come August. A few studs in skilled positions will allow them opportunity to win majority of their games. 

What makes this upcoming season games special between South and BG will be the quality of play and players on Purples defense. This upcoming season the Purples could arguably have the best defensive lines they’ve had (big words). Purples corners are experienced, still young but will hold their own vs majority of teams they face. Extremely athletic corners for Purples! 

Anyone that follows Purples know that they always have running backs that produce! Regardless of which RB graduates - next man up. Purples biggest surprise this year will be RB’s by committee that will keep defenses winded.

In my opinion, this upcoming season games between these two programs will be the most competitive chess matches they have had. 

May not be a popular statement with South fans that read this but after this upcoming season the Purples are primed to separate themselves with all local competition. Last years JV, freshman and both middle school teams the Purples looked pretty dominant vs local squads, including South

So…..

If South wants to make a run for State, this upcoming season is probably their best chance. 

Rivalries, such as this one is what makes High School football so special.

1 hour ago, PurplesFan said:

Even as a Purples fan, it is fairly obvious that South shot themselves in the foot last November with all the turnovers.

Just commenting on this item alone.  It is really interesting to note the turnovers in this game.

For South, Veltcamp threw 4 INTs, but if you were there or watched the game:

1. Was a tipped pass that the WR should have caught.

2. Burwash laid out and made a terrific catch.

3. Kabawa made an unbelievable grab on the side line that Veltcamp was just trying to throw away.

4.  Rainville just made a tough catch that Veltcamp shouldn't have thrown.

The 2 fumbles were mental errors though.

I say all that to show BG turned South over.  South just didn't hand BG the ball.  They took it.

And don't forget the blocked punt!  Maybe the biggest play of the playoffs for BG.  Completely turned a tight game into BGs momentum.

Oh, and BG turned the ball over 5 times.  Yes 5!!!  13 total in the game.  It was just that type game.  As DMC said, not likely to happen again.  But as a BG fan, it was sure fun to watch!!!😄

14 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Just commenting on this item alone.  It is really interesting to note the turnovers in this game.

For South, Veltcamp threw 4 INTs, but if you were there or watched the game:

1. Was a tipped pass that the WR should have caught.

2. Burwash laid out and made a terrific catch.

3. Kabawa made an unbelievable grab on the side line that Veltcamp was just trying to throw away.

4.  Rainville just made a tough catch that Veltcamp shouldn't have thrown.

The 2 fumbles were mental errors though.

I say all that to show BG turned South over.  South just didn't hand BG the ball.  They took it.

And don't forget the blocked punt!  Maybe the biggest play of the playoffs for BG.  Completely turned a tight game into BGs momentum.

Oh, and BG turned the ball over 5 times.  Yes 5!!!  13 total in the game.  It was just that type game.  As DMC said, not likely to happen again.  But as a BG fan, it was sure fun to watch!!!😄

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen 13 turnovers in a game only any level. I would say both of these teams fans had to be pulling their hair out.

2 hours ago, The Flea Market said:

Will Warren Central ever be back? They had a powerhouse back in the day when I worked in Bowling Green!

I mean…. Maybe in a generation or two? It’s an era where people move around a lot - a very, very bad time to be bad at a sport or sports. IMO it’s not going to change any time soon and probably never what they were again. 

On 7/2/2021 at 12:52 PM, Purple88 said:

Well said @DevilMayCare!  Only once (in 2018, when Owensboro got revenge on the Purples in the Playoffs) since these 2 have been district mates have they not played twice in a season.  No offense to Greenwood or Christian County, but if that happens again anytime soon, it will be a BIG upset in my book.

BG's more recent championships prior to South being a district mate (2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, and 2016) and South's 2015 4A title don't seem to count when you are thinking of this rivalry IMO (because they didn't have to go through each other to win it).  So when South won the 5A championship back in 2018 in what I like to call the Lacey Championship, the 2020 BG Covid Championship was really important for BG to get back in the game so to speak.  And they did.

This upcoming season is really intriguing.  The 2021 South Warren team is the one they have been grooming and putting together since that Lacey Championship.  This will be SR (recent WKU commit - congrats and Go Tops!) QB Caden Veltcamp's THIRD starting season of varsity ball.  That doesn't happen a lot around here.  Add to that a very good RB in third year starter SR Kobe Martin, SR 3rd year starter WR/DB Arvin Bell (very underrated) and the most athletic kicker in the state 3rd year starter K/WR SR Eldar Dervicevic .  On defense, just to name 2 - both 3rd year starters DL Jake Jackson and LB Luke Burton are as stable and disruptive as they come and will be seniors this year.  Now to add the hot sauce to the bread - JR stud Christian Conyers who plays WR, kick returner, and DB and likely sells popcorn too transferred from where - yep, BG.  If you watch that last BG/South game there are intense confrontations around Mr. Conyers and I expect that to continue.  Again, all part of the rivalry.

Good Analysis. Agreed that this is the best team South has had since the championship year and better than any upcoming class. Probably around a third of the seniors started as sophomores, so there is a tremendous amount of talent and experience. I'll go out on a limb and say the defense will be as good as 2018's. Burton and Jackson are probably the most under-rated players in the state. Burton is insanely quick and has a nose for the ball, while Jackson will have to be double teamed every play, by every team. There are a handful of other tremendously talented kids on defense as well, which should make South's D a headache for most teams. Veltcamp has the skills, but his success depends on the O-line. That is the big question mark for South. If they underperform, BG's defense will wreak havoc.

• Like 1