2020 Mr. Football Watchlist (12/7)

As we venture deeper into postseason play, the stars shine brighter as the stakes get higher. Hergott is a less than hospitable host after luring the Bobcats from the mountains, while two other quarterbacks maintain an incredibly high standard with zeros in the pick column. And a Pirate ghost continues to haunt a coaching legend 

(Alphabetically)

Jaylin Bross (RB) Male

Season to date: 106 carries for 1,045 yards and 19 touchdowns 

Quarterfinals: Another hundred yard game from Bross highlighted Male's 40-13 win over McCracken County. He ran for 145 yards and a touchdown against the Mustangs to push himself past 1,000 yards on the season. Nearly all of his production this year has come in the last seven games, a stretch where he's averaged about 150 yards and two scores per contest.

Nick Broyles (QB), Franklin County

Season to date: 114/154 for 1,951 yards and 24 TDs/0 ints.

Quarterfinals: If not for a few uncharacteristic drops by his receivers, Broyles' line (17 of 27 for 336 touchdowns and three touchdowns) against Allen County-Scottsville would have been even more impressive. Not that he probably cares, but the drops, paired with Hergott's perfect night, caused him to slip to #2 in the state in completion percentage. Bear in mind, his numbers this year have been accumulated in just seven games. He missed two games at the end of the regular season. Waiting in the wings for its chance to slow down Broyles and Co., is a Johnson Central defense that's only allowed 587 passing yards in ten games, but hasn't seen the likes of this Flyers offense.

Leetavious Cline (RB/DB), West Carter

Season to date: 209 carries for 1,915 yards and 29 touchdowns - 42 tackles/1 pick-six

Quarterfinals: Cline was as happy as a pig in slop against Walton-Verona. The less than desirable field conditions in Olive Hill couldn't slow down the state's leading rusher, who worked over the Bearcats' defense for 180 yards and four touchdowns. This is arguably the greatest individual season in West Carter history. A huge night (and a win!) against Beechwood would remove any doubt.

Isaac Dixon (RB/DB), Belfry

Season to date: 104 carries for 1,609 yards and 25 touchdowns/165 receiving yards and three touchdowns - one kickoff return touchdown

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2EjjMu

Quarterfinals: If Dudley Hilton ever sees Isaac Dixon again, it'll be too soon. Almost exactly a year to the day of his 224 yard, three touchdown performance against Hilton's Bobcats in last year's 3A championship game, Dixon bedeviled Bell County again, this time for 204 yards and three touchdowns on a meager eight carries. He also found himself in the right place at the right time for a scoop and score to get things rolling for the Pirates. He's averaging an absurd 15.5 yards per carry and a touchdown every 3.8 times he touches the ball, offensively.

Clay Games (QB), Elizabethtown

Season to date: 123/192 for 2,130 yards and 29 TDs/0 ints.

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2EjV2n

Quarterfinals: The beat goes on for Games and E'town. The Panthers handled Union County 43-21, with Games throwing for three touchdowns while maintaining another clean sheet. I don't know what the record is for touchdown passes in a season without an interception, but he's got to be in the neighborhood. Games has thrown multiple touchdown passes in ten straight games, following a quiet opener against Central Hardin.

Cam Hergott (QB), Beechwood

Season to date: 131/172 for 2,023 yards and 21 TDs/4 ints. - 885 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns 

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2EjYws

Quarterfinals: Hergott channeled his inner Lamar Jackson against Breathitt County, weaving and gliding his way past defenders for 240 yards and three touchdowns on the ground. His legs overshadowed a perfect night from his right arm, which completed all six pass attempts for another 120 yards and three more scores. As good as he's been all year, it appears he's saved his best for the postseason. Hergott has averaged 347 yards of total offense and five touchdowns in Beechwood's first two playoff games.

Nathan McElroy (QB), Trinity

Season to date: 87/129 for 1,134 yards and 16 TDs/4 ints.

Quarterfinals: The numbers against Dixie Heights (7/9 for 83 yards and 2 touchdowns) were pedestrian, but that's more a reflection of Trinity's complete dominance of the Colonels in every facet of the game. Still yet, the lack of statistical impact relative to other watchlist quarterbacks is moving McElroy further and further out of the picture.

Keontae Pittman (RB), Ashland

Season to date: 127 carries for 1,226 yards and 21 touchdowns

Quarterfinals: Ashland's top Tomcat torpedoed his way through Fleming County's defense for 151 yards and three touchdowns on just seven carries. His first two carries of the game resulted in over a hundred yards and two touchdowns. An opportunity for atonement presents itself this week, as Pittman and the Tomcats play host to Belfry. The Pirates bludgeoned Ashland in the playoffs last year with Pittman being silenced for three yards on nine carries. 

Dylan Preston (RB/LB), Johnson Central

Season to date: 131 carries for 1,597 yards and 28 touchdowns/4 receiving touchdowns - 42 tackles/8 sacks/1 pick-six 

Quarterfinals: Facing possibly the best defense he's seen to date, Preston dug deep to produce a stellar all-around performance against Corbin. Daylight was a little more scarce against the Redhounds, but he managed to grind his way to 193 yards and three scores on 28 carries. Rounding out a busy night, he was also JC's leading tackler and split a QB sack. It was a workmanlike addition to the best two-way resume in the state.

Noteworthy performances from the quarterfinals:

Conner Cooper (QB), Bowling Green: 347 yards of total offense and two touchdowns against North Bullitt

Javy Bunton (RB), Bowling Green: 195 yards from scrimmage and four touchdowns against North Bullitt 

Reece Jesse (WR), Hopkinsville: 121 yards receiving and a touchdown against John Hardin

Fred Farrier (WR), Franklin County: 108 yards receiving and a touchdown against Allen County-Scottsville

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Thanks for putting the Purples in the Noteworthy category!

So is it fair to say the 2020 Mr. Football race is still a pretty open competition at this point?  Or is there a lead pack?

I think it's still wide open, though Hergott is making a strong case for favorite status. He hasn't really flinched all season. Dixon, Preston, Broyles, and Sheron are all right there, imo.

The Bowling Green guys have suffered from that sluggish start to the season, offensively. They've been playing catch-up for a couple of months. A huge game and win against CovCath could earn Cooper a promotion next week. He's lacking a statement game against an elite opponent.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tones said:

Dixon's numbers against the competition that Belfry has played are insane.

I'm with you. Each week when I've read DMC's thread, I've kind of gone through a little, "Okay, so how would I vote right now?" process in my head. I've generally been between Dixon and Bross, and at this point I'm definitely leaning in Dixon's direction.

Jaylin Bross
Averaging 138yds and 2.5 TDs per game in 8 games played. Averaging 9.88yds per touch. Bross has gained 39.5% of the team's total offensive yards for the season after getting the ball on 37.5% of Male's offensive plays.

Isaac Dixon
Averaging 179yds and 2.9 TDs per game in 9 games played. Averaging 16.43yds per touch. Dixon has gained 49.3% of the team's total offensive yards for the season after getting the ball on 29.9% of Belfry's offensive plays.

• Like 1

My guess would be it's down to four candidates: Beechwood's Cameron Hergott, Belfry's Isaac Dixon, JC's Dylan Preston, and Male's Jaylin Bross. 

My  votes if I were that important lol:

1. Cameron Hergott - Beechwood

2. Dylan Preston - Johnson Central

3. Isaac Dixon - Belfry

4. Jaylin Bross - Male

Should be a tight race. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

• Like 1