Sign in to follow this  
ColonelMike

Oldham County at Bryan Station Predictions/Updates (6A Playoffs)

Who wins? Oldham County or Bryan Station?  

10 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who wins? Oldham County or Bryan Station?

• Oldham County Colonels
    • Bryan Station Defenders

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/27/2020 at 11:00 PM

An interesting matchup looms Friday at Bryan Station HS in Lexington as the Oldham County Colonels (5-3) travel to face the Bryan Station Defenders (9-1) in the second round of the KY Class 6A playoffs.

Oldham, who lost to Bryan Station in the final moments earlier in the year, 25-20, comes into the game riding a two game winning streak after defeating North Oldham 37-17 in their regular season finale, and then beating George Rogers Clark on the road in the first round of the playoffs, 32-21.

Oldham County trailed, 3-0, after the first possession of the game against North Oldham, but the Colonels haven't trailed for the last 90 minutes of football action, and the Colonels' offense seems to have finally found its groove, having scored its two highest point totals of the season in the last two weeks.   The Colonels knocked off GRC last week in a game they led from "gate to gate", bolting out to a 14-0 lead after one quarter, withstanding a late Cardinal rally that pulled GRC to within 24-21, then salting away the win with a time-burning 7 minute drive that produced a touchdown for the final 31-21 score.

Bryan Station has won nine straight games since dropping its opener, 7-6, to Scott County on the road.   Bryan Station is 5-0 at home.   The Defenders were the regular season district #1 seed, winning all three of their district contests.    The Defenders outlasted an underdog Madison Central team last week, 14-13, when the Indians' potential game-tying PAT in the fourth period was blocked.  

A LOOK BACK AT THE REGULAR SEASON GAME:

Oldham County gave the Defenders their closest shave of the regular season, leading 20-19 with barely three minutes to play, when the Defenders got what ultimately was the game-winning TD to win 25-20.  The game was a back and forth affair.   Oldham went out to a 7-0 advantage on a TD run by junior QB Sam Young, but Bryan Station senior QB Mikaleb Coffey connected with AhTraivon Jenkins three straight times - from 2 yards, 69 yards, and 53 yards - to stake Bryan Station to a 19-7 lead with 3:27 left in the third.   About the only thing that went wrong for the Defenders during that stretch was two failed two point conversions.

Oldham rallied, however, with Young connecting with Greyson Huff for back-to-back passing scores from 11 and 32 yards.   The PAT was blocked on the second score, but Oldham had a 20-19 advantage with 7:09 to play in the game.

That set up Coffey's heroics, as the Bryan Station signalcaller took it in from 1 yard out with 3:04 left.   The two point conversion pass attempt failed, but Bryan Station held on for the 25-20 win.

Bryan Station overcame three turnovers - Oldham had none - in the contest.

Joseph Bond leads the Defenders with 1,194 yards rushing and 11 TDs, but the Colonels held him to just 51 yards on 12 carries in the regular season game.    But Amodeus Taylor more than compensated, rushing for 84 yards on just 9 carries for the Defenders.  QB Mikaleb Coffey was 15 of 20 and accounted for all four Defender TDs, with 3 touchdown passes and 1 TD rushing.   He threw one pick.  WR AhTraivon Jenkins had 6 catches for 195 yards and 3 TDs receiving.

Like Coffey, Oldham quarterback Sam Young was responsible for all three scores; Young completed 15 of 26 passes for 206 yards and 2 TDs (no INT), and also rushed for 74 yards and a score.

Oldham's Greyson Huff led all receivers with 8 catches; he had 114 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns.

SO, what happens this week?

Bryan Station has a balanced, potent attack, averaging 223 yards rushing and 202 yards passing per game.   Coffey has completed 71% of his passes, with 13 touchdowns and 5 interceptions.   Bond is averaging 119 yards rushing, and Amodeus Taylor compliments him well, averaging 60 yards per contest on the ground.   Jenkins has 34 catches on the season, but Carl Munford leads the Defenders with 44 catches and 641 yards receiving (plus 5 TDs).   

The Defender defense is holding opponents to less than 180 yards per game, and just 15.9 ppg.   Taylor is among the leaders defensively, with 68 total tackles (#2 on the team) and 11 tackles for loss (tops on the squad).   Jason Hocker leads the team in tackles with 74.

Oldham County leans on the passing and running of junior QB Sam Young, who has passed 1,504 yards and 13 TDs, with just 5 INT.   Young is connecting on a deceptive 56% of his passes; the Colonel signal caller completed well over 60% of his passes as a sophomore, but Oldham struggled with drops by its receiver corps early in the season, resulting in a lowered percentage.   Young also leads the Colonels in rushing with 516 yards and another 6 TDs.

Oldham's receiving corps has matured as the season has progressed, and with it, the Colonels' offensive production.   The Colonels started the year 2-1, but averaged just 16.7 ppg with a high of 21 points in a loss to South Oldham.   They scored 23 and 20 points while going 1-1 against district foes Madison Central and Bryan Station, but have scored their three highest point totals of the season in the last three contests - 28 points against GRC, 37 against North Oldham, and 32 against George Rogers Clark last week.   Young has spread the ball around; thirteen different players have caught at least one pass, with Greyson Huff leading the way (37 catches - 417 yards - 4 TDs).   Only twice this season have fewer than 6 players caught passes in a game (5 against GRC last week and 4 against Campbell County in game 2).  

Linebacker Jalen Stratton has 55 total tackles on the year to lead Oldham defensively.    Thomas Dempley and Brian Monteleone each have 9 tackles for loss.   

Who wins?

The game will be broadcast by the Pegasus Sports Network - live video - beginning at 7 pm.    Go to www.pegasussportsky.com where you will be redirected to the broadcast link.

CM

• Thanks 1

Typo in my first post...

I referenced the Oldham win over GRC in the first round of the playoffs - first stating it was 32-21 and then (correctly) stating the score was 31-21.   The "32" in the "32-21" score was a typo.

• Thanks 1

GREAT preview CM!!!!

This is a really undervalued game right here.  If I weren't going to be at South Warren on Friday, I might just try to come to this game.  Two very solid teams.

I have not seen Oldham play this year but I know about Sam Young and respect his abilities.

I think Oldham is ramping up right now.

I did get to see Station defeat Simon Kenton was really impressed with them.  Their offensive firepower in that game was eye-opening for someone who didn't know much about them before.  But the Madison score perplexes me.  I would have never thought they would be able to hold Station to only 14.

I think it may come down to which defense is most effective at neutralizing what the others stout offense tries to do.

I think this one's a barn-burner.  I'll take Station 24-21.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Purple88 said:

I have not seen Oldham play this year but I know about Sam Young and respect his abilities.

I think Oldham is ramping up right now.

Oldham County definitely seems to be playing better. Bryan Station has been solid all season, so it will be interesting to see if last week's poor performance was merely a blip or something more. This should be a very good ballgame.

• Like 1

Coffey had a huge game in the first meeting - 400 yards of total offense and had a hand in all four Station touchdowns - but he had guys around him making plays. Young, on the other hand, was basically a one man show. He accounted for about 95% of Oldham's production and all three scores.

That gives me a little more confidence in the Defenders. Plus, I think the close shave last week will have them ready to go. Give me Station by a touchdown, maybe two.

• Like 1

GAME TIME CHANGE

The Bryan Station AD has requested a change in the kickoff time, as I understand.

The game will kick at 7 pm ET.

Pegasus Sports coverage of the game will begin at 6:30 pm.   Our broadcast will produced by Pegasus with PSN announcers, but will be carried by NFHS and will be pay-per-view as NFHS owns the rights to Bryan Station video.

To get to the NFHS link, go to www.pegasussportsky.com

CM

I’m going with the upset and the District Player of the Year. Sam does a great job managing the game. I’m going with the Colonels 27-21. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Footballmom2 said:

I’m going with the upset and the District Player of the Year. Sam does a great job managing the game. I’m going with the Colonels 27-21. 

Welcome to BGPreps, Footballmom2!

CM

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this