Covington Catholic at Simon Kenton Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Covington Catholic
    • Simon Kenton

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/30/2020 at 11:00 PM

The last time the Pioneers and the Colonels faced off, the upperclassmen to be taking the field for both teams this Friday were more than likely still potty training. In a series that dates back to 1979, the Simon Kenton vs. Cov Cath football is a heavily one-sided story. The Colonels lead the series 21 wins to 2, all time, with Simon Kenton taking the very first game between the two in 1979, and then once again in 1998. Their most recent showdown was in 2004, when Lynn Ray coached Covington Catholic to a 38-0 shutout over the Pioneers in his final year as the Colonels' head coach.

This season, the two teams have two common opponents in Highlands and Dixie Heights. Simon Kenton (3-4) beat Highlands in Week 1 with a final score of 27-14, and were beaten 28-14 by Dixie in Week 5. Covington Catholic (6-0) narrowly held off Dixie in Week 1 with a final score of 21-14, and trampled Highlands in a 42-0 shutout in Week 6.

Simon Kenton runs a very evenly split run/pass offensive plan, and their D has been slightly more susceptible to rushing. QB Chase Crone, who is second year starter as a sophomore, has 9 touchdowns through the air and is averaging about 180 yards passing per game. With 2484 total yards offense and 181 points scored this season (avg. 355yds & 26pts per game), the Pioneers have proven that they're perfectly capable of moving the ball and scoring, but their defense hasn't been able to come up with the stops when they need it to keep their team with a winning record thus far. The Colonels offense is similarly even in terms of the their running and passing. Currently at 2003 total yards offense and 208 points this season (avg. 334yds & 35pts per game), Cov Cath has been more efficient in their scoring.

Stacking up the defenses against one another, the Pioneers have allowed an average 375 yards and 29 points per game, while the Colonels have allowed an average 179 yards and 6 points per game. There's the stat line that means the most leading into Friday's game.

Will Simon Kenton be able to shore things up this week in order to stop Caleb Jacob and the Colonels from coming into Independence and imposing their will?

image.thumb.png.75fd92cc0877777569626bb1d6897039.png

• Like 2

I’m really interested to see how good Crone is. I think you can throw the ball on the Colonels, but he may be a year of development away to make a big difference. 

On the other side, I’m not sure SK will get more than 1 stop. If CCH is playing well enough to win 5A or at least make a deep run, this game shouldn’t be competitive.  

13 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

I’m really interested to see how good Crone is. I think you can throw the ball on the Colonels, but he may be a year of development away to make a big difference. 

On the other side, I’m not sure SK will get more than 1 stop. If CCH is playing well enough to win 5A or at least make a deep run, this game shouldn’t be competitive.  

Crone is having a tough time this year. He has thrown just as many INT's as TD's (9).  He is only completing 48% of his passes for the season. Last week versus Ryle, he was 8/26, 2 INT's and 0 TD's. His one redeeming stat is 1,238 yards but even at 48% completed you accumulate yards when you throw it as much as he does (3rd most passes thrown in the entire state, all classes). No improvement in year 2 as a starter and actually a step back IMO.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Crone is having a tough time this year. He has thrown just as many INT's as TD's (9).  He is only completing 48% of his passes for the season. Last week versus Ryle, he was 8/26, 2 INT's and 0 TD's. His one redeeming stat is 1,238 yards but even at 48% completed you accumulate yards when you throw it as much as he does (3rd most passes thrown in the entire state, all classes). No improvement in year 2 as a starter and actually a step back IMO.

Ok well that’s not great. Tough to see this being a game with how he’s played. 

1 hour ago, colonel-fan said:

First off, I really like the SK logo. Pretty cool. 

Secondly, if SK can win the turnover battle, this game may be closer than people are expecting.

That is always a big factor in a football game but it is a particularly important factor to consider in this game. Both QB's have been prone to INT's this year so turnovers are definitely a focus of attention for both teams.