DevilMayCare

2020 Mr. Football Watchlist (10/20)

The Franklin County aerial circus returns to action, and promptly puts two Flyers back on the Mr. Football radar. Johnson Central's one man scoring machine keeps up his preposterous pace for another week, while a blue Colonel's legs help keep CovCath grounded against an archrival. And Somerset's field general can't jump quite as high as Eagles can fly.

(Alphabetically)

Jaylin Bross (RB) Male

Season to date: 66 carries for 610 yards and 12 touchdowns

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2ERDe9

Week 6: Bross was the boss against Fern Creek. He powered his way to a career high 253 yards and three touchdowns on an active 29 carries, and helped blow open a three point game at halftime with a pair of third quarter scores. His production is ramping up nicely after an inauspicious opener. That production should continue to climb this week against Bullitt East.

Nick Broyles (QB), Franklin County

Season to date: 57/74 for 1,069 yards and 14 TDs/0 ints.

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2ERU6k

Week 6: If Broyles felt any rust last Friday, he must've shook it off in the pregame warm-up. A month had gone by since he threw his last official pass in game action, but you'd never guess from watching him carve up Waggener's defense. The Wildcats had allowed just one passing touchdown and 218 yards through the air before Broyles showed up and threw for 274 yards and five scores. He only has three more incompletions than touchdown passes this season. The ultimate measuring stick for Franklin County is waiting this Friday, in the form of a Central defense that's allowed a mere ten points and 150 passing yards this year.

Isaac Dixon (RB/DB), Belfry

Season to date: 79 carries for 1,057 yards and 14 touchdowns/114 receiving yards and two touchdowns 

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2ER8D6

Week 6: No one on the staff at Lawrence County will be sad to see Isaac Dixon graduate next year. The Belfry star has three 100+ yard games in as many tries against the Bulldogs. His 133 yards and three scores helped the Pirates run the clock on their district mate and pushed him past the 1,000 yard mark for the third straight season.

Fred Farrier (WR), Franklin County

Season to date: 18 catches for 388 yards and six touchdowns - one pick-six 

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2ERV24

Week 6: Like his teammate above, Farrier must have been itching to get back at it after being sidelined since September 18th. He wasted little time getting back into the swing of things, with a four touchdown (three receiving, one pick-six) performance in Franklin County's forty point destruction of Waggener. He displayed superior route running, soft hands, and the ability to high point the ball against the Wildcats. 

Cam Hergott (QB), Beechwood

Season to date: 91/125 for 1,336 yards and 10 TDs/3 ints. - 344 rushing yards and five touchdowns 

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2ERJ8h

Week 6: Anytime you see 13/15 passing, it screams accuracy. But to be honest, it's easy to be accurate when you're throwing to wide open receivers all night. Lloyd Memorial's defense did little to impede Hergott's rhythm and flow, as the "Tiger King" threw for 221 yards and three touchdowns, plus another score with his legs.

Caleb Jacob (QB), Covington Catholic

Season to date: 57/98 for 796 yards and 8 TDs/5 ints. - 242 rushing yards and six touchdowns 

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2ERx1q

Week 6: Jacob will never be mistaken for Lamar Jackson, but he did a serviceable impression of the Baltimore QB with 106 rushing yards and a pair of scores against a porous Highlands run defense. His yardage output nearly doubled his previous career high. The running clock victory improves his career record as a starter to 34-1. 

Keontae Pittman (RB), Ashland

Season to date: 61 carries for 537 yards and 11 touchdowns

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2ER8Ef

Week 6: After being bottled up for thirty yards in the first half of a tight game against Russell, Pittman sprung loose for a 64 yard touchdown on Ashland's first play of the second half. That sprint to the endzone triggered a downpour on the Red Devils that didn't let up until the final whistle. Pittman finished with 157 yards and three touchdowns on the night. He's eclipsed a hundred yards in each game this season. 

Dylan Preston (RB/LB), Johnson Central

Season to date: 47 carries for 809 yards and 16 touchdowns/two receiving touchdown/five sacks

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2EMY0G

Week 6: There's something magical going on in Johnson County right now, and I'm not just talking about the scenic fall landscape of eastern Kentucky. Dylan Preston is scoring at a clip seldom seen in the mountains, or for that matter, any other region of the state. Harlan County did its best to keep the ball away from JC's offense, but when Preston got his hands on it, the endzone beckoned. He scored on four of his six touches against the Black Bears and ran for 185 yards, plus another 49 yards on one reception. He's scored twelve touchdowns the last sixteen times he's touched the ball. If that's not enough, he also recorded 18 tackles and two sacks from his linebacker position against Harlan County. Can he maintain this level of efficiency and production another week?

Kaiya Sheron (QB), Somerset

Season to date: 59/97 for 1,119 yards and 10 TDs/1 int. - 270 rushing yards and four touchdowns

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2EREYb

Week 6: The game of the week lived up to its billing, as Somerset and LCA traded leads and momentum, before the Eagles escaped the Briar Patch by a score. Sheron, at times, looked like Superman, but he wasn't able to summon enough of those moments to put the Jumpers over the top. His performance was equal parts good (the back corner touchdown throw in the 3rd quarter) and not so good (4th quarter interception that LCA turned into game winning points).

Lavell Wright (RB), North Hardin

Season to date: 107 carries for 733 yards and 10 touchdowns/25 catches for 264 yards and a touchdown

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2ER3Tj

Week 6: Is there a running back in the state that combines speed, agility, power, and versatility better than Wright? Barren County would probably answer that question with a resounding no. The future UK Wildcat ran for 139 yards and a score on fourteen yards per carry and hauled in five receptions for an additional 76 yards to help North Hardin win the Trojan war.

Noteworthy performances from Week 6:

Campton Martin (RB/DB), Scott County: one rushing touchdown, one receiving touchdown, and two pick-six's against Montgomery County 

Brady Clark (QB), Bardstown: 252 passing yards and four touchdowns against Thomas Nelson

Jagged Gillis (QB), Boyle County: 5 total touchdowns against Anderson County

Is Clint McKee RB from Graves County not in the conversation here? His season statistics are;

169 Carries/1071 Rushing Yards/17 TDs/123 Receiving Yards

He is the leading rusher and scorer in 5A and has put up good numbers when Graves has played good competition.  

It would be interesting to add the CalPreps Strength of Schedule for each team to the writeup.

9 hours ago, zoneblitz24 said:

Is Clint McKee RB from Graves County not in the conversation here? His season statistics are;

169 Carries/1071 Rushing Yards/17 TDs/123 Receiving Yards

He is the leading rusher and scorer in 5A and has put up good numbers when Graves has played good competition.  

McKee is a junior, making him ineligible for Mr. Football. I mistakenly had him in the "noteworthy performance" section a couple of weeks before I realized he wasn't a senior. He's a name to watch for next year, though.

15 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

McKee is a junior, making him ineligible for Mr. Football. I mistakenly had him in the "noteworthy performance" section a couple of weeks before I realized he wasn't a senior. He's a name to watch for next year, though.

I honestly did not know that a JR could not be considered for Mr. Football.  I would like to see Hergott in person.  I have heard he is a special player.

On 10/21/2020 at 11:15 AM, colonel-fan said:

It would be interesting to add the CalPreps Strength of Schedule for each team to the writeup.

CalPreps/MaxPreps says Jacob has played a tougher schedule than Hergott, 2.3-1.8

http://calpreps.com/2020/ratings/Kentucky_all.htm

Beechwood's overall SOS is 41st in the state.

There are several players on this list with tougher schedules.

There are unlisted players with tougher schedules and better SOS.

2 hours ago, Nathaniel Bryan said:

CalPreps/MaxPreps says Jacob has played a tougher schedule than Hergott, 2.3-1.8

http://calpreps.com/2020/ratings/Kentucky_all.htm

Beechwood's overall SOS is 41st in the state.

There are several players on this list with tougher schedules.

There are unlisted players with tougher schedules and better SOS.

Strength of schedule will drop for Hergott due to playing in the 2A district versus Jacob playing in a 5A district. What Hergott did against those top ranked higher class teams is impressive. Over 300 yards offense against Corbin, Ryle and Dixie.

In the Beechwood Cov Cath game, Hergott was 13/18 for 186 yards. Jacob was 8/19 for 108 yards.

Hergott also had two rushing TD's versus Cov Cath.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 1:48 PM, Voice of Reason said:

Statistically, Hergott is pulling away from the others.

In my opinion that is not true. Broyles has played only 3 games & is right there only 300 yards behind him with three less games played. 

38 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Strength of schedule will drop for Hergott due to playing in the 2A district versus Jacob playing in a 5A district. What Hergott did against those top ranked higher class teams is impressive. Over 300 yards offense against Corbin, Ryle and Dixie.

In the Beechwood Cov Cath game, Hergott was 13/18 for 186 yards. Jacob was 8/19 for 108 yards.

Hergott also had two rushing TD's versus Cov Cath.

Sounds to me like Hergott played the better game when they’ve gone head to head this year. Hergott also can’t help his strength of schedule in regards to his district. Outside of it he has played phenomenal. Regardless I think this will be a popularity contest more than a stats driven award. Usually we see every year a front runner then everyone else a step or two back. This year seems very up in the open on who can take this award home. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ImJustHere said:

Sounds to me like Hergott played the better game when they’ve gone head to head this year. Hergott also can’t help his strength of schedule in regards to his district. Outside of it he has played phenomenal. Regardless I think this will be a popularity contest more than a stats driven award. Usually we see every year a front runner then everyone else a step or two back. This year seems very up in the open on who can take this award home. 

So a kid from a multiple-loss small school who is not in top 10 in QB rating, has a SOS rating over 40 and doesn't have many major offers is the Mr. Football FRONTRUNNER?

And he is pulling away?

This is the only site that is championing this possibility.

You all really need to look up Nick Bohn and see how Hergott stacks up. And Bohn had no shot at Mr. Football.

You all think Hergott is accurate? Bohn set the freaking national record. And did it against a schedule that blows Beechwood to oblivion. And again, he had no shot.

12 hours ago, Nathaniel Bryan said:

So a kid from a multiple-loss small school who is not in top 10 in QB rating, has a SOS rating over 40 and doesn't have many major offers is the Mr. Football FRONTRUNNER?

And he is pulling away?

You all really need to look up Nick Bohn and see how Hergott stacks up. And Bohn had no shot at Mr. Football.

You all think Hergott is accurate? Bohn set the freaking national record. And did it against a schedule that blows Beechwood to oblivion. And again, he had no shot.

Look at the list and rank the candidates for us. I'm interested in seeing how you think this year's candidates stack up versus reading your comments trying to knock down one kid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nathaniel Bryan said:

And he is pulling away?

His first loss was on a controversial go ahead field goal against the defending 5A state champions, who he outperformed their QB, and second loss to a very good run offense Dixie Heights football team. Like I said, it’s very open this year on who can win the award. I see nobody who is head and shoulders above anyone else for this award. For a 2A school playing the schedule he is playing, he is doing a very good job, against very strong competition. He can’t decide his district, can only compete against it. I also stated earlier if this award isn’t given out until after playoffs I think that gives us a much better idea at who is the most deserving. 

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Look at the list and rank the candidates for us. I'm interested in seeing how you think this year's candidates stack up versus reading your comments trying to knock down one kid.

I'm trying to figure out why we're pushing him.

He has the accuracy going for him.

Not the most mobile QB (see Belfry or Henderson).

Not the most TDs or best TD/Int (see Brady Clark of Bardstown, whose numbers are nuts for an unbeaten team from a bigger school).

Not the most passing yards per game (Broyles of Franklin would dwarf him if played same amount of games).

Not the best record or biggest school or toughest schedule (Another QB close by, Jacob, has him beat in all 3).

As far as SOS? You all didn't seem to think that highly of Ryle or Dixie Heights when 1-3 and just blasted by 30 Fern Creek jumped them in 6A rankings.

Not the best college offers, even if just limited to senior QBs.

Yet, somehow his combination is a frontrunner and pulling away? You think anyone West of 75 believes that?

I have no problem with him getting all-state votes.

I have no problem with him being KFCA Class Mr. Football.

But elite of the elite? Sorry, can't get there.

If voting goes the direction of "top game changer for the program" rather than "top football player" as it has a few times in the past (see: D'Mauriae VanCleave) then I think Hergott is easily among the frontrunners for Mr. Football.