TheDeuce

BluegrassPreps Class 6A Football Rankings (10/19) - Discussion

Class 6A

1. Trinity (4-0) remains at top spot after having an open week and will travel to winless Eastern where the reserves will play early and often.

2. Male (4-1) moves into #2 after dominating #10 Fern Creek 29-0 in 2nd half and final score of 38-6. Male will travel to Bullitt East looking to make it 5 straight wins.

3. North Hardin (6-0) struggled offensively for a half against Barren County before pulling away with a 38-6 win. North Hardin will host one win Central Hardin and look to remain undefeated.

4. Manual (2-1) has completed their two week COVID quarantine and will host struggling Butler who has given up over 50 pts their last three games.

5. St. Xavier (2-2) defeated struggling Butler 59-14 and will take a step up in competition hosting Pleasure Ridge Park.

6. McCracken County (4-1) is coming off a open week due to a COVID cancellation and will host district foe Henderson County who has won 3 straight games. 

7. Ballard (2-2) defeated Eastern 34-6 in a game stopped midway through 4th quarter because of 25 minute injury to Eastern player. Ballard will host 5A traditional power Scott County which could be the game of the week.

8. Bryan Station (5-1) escaped Buckner with a 25-20 win over #9 Oldham County. Bryan Station  will host struggling one win Madison Central.

9. Oldham County (3-2) came up short in a close 25-20 loss to #8 Bryan Station. Oldham County will travel to struggling one win George Rogers Clark.

10. Fern Creek (1-3) hung with #2 Male for a half being down 3 at halftime before Male kicked in gear resulting in a 38-6 loss. Fern Creek will look to get back on the winning track hosting one win Southern.

1. Trinity at Eastern

2. Male at Bullitt East

3. North Hardin vs. Central Hardin

4. Manual vs. Butler

5. St. Xavier vs. Pleasure Ridge Park

6. McCracken County vs. Henderson County

7. Ballard vs. 5A #6 Scott County

8. Bryan Station vs. Madison Central

9. Oldham County at George Rogers Clark

10. Fern Creek vs. Southern

• Like 1

The language in the writing for #2 and #3 is interesting. It would appear that Male also struggled offensively in the first half, right? None Jefferson schools always get the shade. 

6 hours ago, KyPreps1965 said:

The language in the writing for #2 and #3 is interesting. It would appear that Male also struggled offensively in the first half, right? None Jefferson schools always get the shade. 

Yes but Fern Creek is ranked and Barren County is not.

• Like 2

Calpreps has Ryle beating teams 8-10 and they aren't ranked I am assuming just because they are in NKY.

7 minutes ago, KY Outsider said:

Calpreps has Ryle beating teams 8-10 and they aren't ranked I am assuming just because they are in NKY.

Probably because have 3 losses but if they beat SK they will probably move up.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Probably because have 3 losses but if they beat SK they will probably move up.

I agree. If Ryle takes this SK game, and anyone above them (but on the bottom) of the list takes a loss, Ryle should be 9 or 10. Three losses be damned, they have improved every week and played a good schedule. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KyPreps1965 said:

Jefferson schools always get the shade. 

15 hours ago, KY Outsider said:

...they aren't ranked I am assuming just because they are in NKY.

So if I’m reading this correctly, the 6A rankings hate Jefferson AND Northern Kentucky schools? If Lafayette is top five next week then I’ll know what’s up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

So if I’m reading this correctly, the 6A rankings hate Jefferson AND Northern Kentucky schools? If Lafayette is top five next week then I’ll know what’s up!

With this being a board with heavy traffic from NKY, the "NKY gets no respect" argument has always been around, IMO. The truth of it is rarely has NKY had a team that could compete with the big schools in Louisville. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

With this being a board with heavy traffic from NKY, the "NKY gets no respect" argument has always been around, IMO. The truth of it is rarely has NKY had a team that could compete with the big schools in Louisville. 

I'm just a nominal high school football fan, but this certainly seems true for 6A.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Perception is not reality. Over the past 10 years in the 6A playoffs against Louisville schools other than Trinity, N. Ky. 6A is 9-8. I am including Male, St. X, Ballard, et. al. N. Ky. has put 4 different schools in the 6A final four during those 10 years. N. Ky. 6A is as good or better than Louisville 6A excepting Trinity.

13 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Perception is not reality. Over the past 10 years in the 6A playoffs against Louisville schools other than Trinity, N. Ky. 6A is 9-8. I am including Male, St. X, Ballard, et. al. N. Ky. has put 4 different schools in the 6A final four during those 10 years. N. Ky. 6A is as good or better than Louisville 6A excepting Trinity.

I think it is somewhat important to mention the fluctuation in NKY 6A over the years. Simon Kenton, Ryle, and Campbell County have always been 6A. Dixie was 5A then moved up. Boone, Conner, and Cooper were 5A playing up into 6A. Compare that with Jefferson County 6A, which has basically been the same 10-12 schools forever, and it is hard to truly say whether Northern Kentucky as a region has been consistently successful. The numbers you posit, however, paint a decent picture for NKY - probably just as good as Lexington and western Kentucky.

6 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I think it is somewhat important to mention the fluctuation in NKY 6A over the years. Simon Kenton, Ryle, and Campbell County have always been 6A. Dixie was 5A then moved up. Boone, Conner, and Cooper were 5A playing up into 6A. Compare that with Jefferson County 6A, which has basically been the same 10-12 schools forever, and it is hard to truly say whether Northern Kentucky as a region has been consistently successful. The numbers you posit, however, paint a decent picture for NKY - probably just as good as Lexington and western Kentucky.

Agree. You make a relevant point that the 9-8 record included games where some N. Ky. schools were playing up in class. The bottom line is Louisville is top heavy. Trinity and Male/St. X in many years are above all other 6A teams in the state. The rest of Louisville 6A is not better than 6A in N. Ky. However, I read your original post as saying all Louisville 6A as a whole is better than N. Ky.

Going back to what started this discussion, I do think some schools in Louisville may benefit in the 6A rankings from a belief Louisville 6A is better. e.g. Ballard is a school that often is overrated IMO - this year excepted. I don't think it is a huge oversight but that perception exists and I wanted to see what the facts tell us. They tell us N.Ky. 6A is as good or better than Louisville 6A.

All that being said, I don't think Ryle has earned a top ten ranking yet. 

• Like 1

Since the inception of 6A, two NKY teams have made it to championship with Simon Kenton and Dixie Heights. There were years where St.X, Trinity, and Male were on same side of bracket such as when had super district with all 3 in same district. I believe this was done so could be a team that was not one of those 3 in championship. Just hard to compete with those 3 because of advantages being in 1.2 million population in METRO area plus tradition built over the years and good education the schools offer.

7 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Since the inception of 6A, two NKY teams have made it to championship with Simon Kenton and Dixie Heights. There were years where St.X, Trinity, and Male were on same side of bracket such as when had super district with all 3 in same district. I believe this was done so could be a team that was not one of those 3 in championship. Just hard to compete with those 3 because of advantages being in 1.2 million population in METRO area plus tradition built over the years and good education the schools offer.

And often over those years N. Ky. 6A teams were in the same bracket as St. X, Male, Trinity so I discount who made it to the title game as an overall measurement. I think we all agree those three programs are on a different level over all. 

• Like 1

Went back and looked bracket when NKY teams made it to Championship. In 2008 Simon Kenton beat Male and advanced to Championship against Trinity. In 2014 Dixie Heights was in opposite bracket of St.X, Male, and Trinity, but beat Ballard en route to Championship meeting Trinity again.

• Thanks 1