Bowling Green at Christian County Predictions/Updates

Purple88

Who wins?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Bowling Green
    • Christian County

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2020 at 04:00 PM

The Purples will travel west on 68-80 to Hopkinsville to the Stadium to Champions to face district foe Christian County. BG came out flat as a fiddle last Friday, which is understandable after a terrific defensive battle with South Warren.  BGs offense finally got going after halftime against a good McCracken County team and came through in a 28-12 home win.  The BG defense continue to be a very strong group.

Christian County comes into this game coming within a whisker of starting the season off with a huge district win at Greenwood, but came up 1 point short.  QB Abren and RB Lray Coleman lead the Colonel offense and will try to break out with a big home win vs Bowling Green.

Will Bowling Green get their first district win or will Christian County?

I was extremely impressed with the BG defense and loved the agility of #37.  That DT/DE is big/strong and athletic.  I loved Bunton.  I haven’t seen his level of patience in a while at the High School level.  And he has good acceleration as well.  Dingle must have had glue on his hands because he made catches on balls at his knees and lower, and in traffic.  BG defense is going to keep them in any game.  Offense is not real diverse yet but hey play to your strengths.  I would throw long every now and again.  That really started springing Bunton in this past game.  This CC game won’t be a contest as BG has played the toughest 5A schedule of anyone.  I think it would have helped them to start with an easier game to open season to build some offensive confidence.  This is the game where they can do that and against Greenwood.  I would personally lineup Bunton at WR some and run or throw to him in space.  I really think these next 2 games can move the needle offensively.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Brown said:

I was extremely impressed with the BG defense and loved the agility of #37.  That DT/DE is big/strong and athletic.  I loved Bunton.  I haven’t seen his level of patience in a while at the High School level.  And he has good acceleration as well.  Dingle must have had glue on his hands because he made catches on balls at his knees and lower, and in traffic.  BG defense is going to keep them in any game.  Offense is not real diverse yet but hey play to your strengths.  I would throw long every now and again.  That really started springing Bunton in this past game.  This CC game won’t be a contest as BG has played the toughest 5A schedule of anyone.  I think it would have helped them to start with an easier game to open season to build some offensive confidence.  This is the game where they can do that and against Greenwood.  I would personally lineup Bunton at WR some and run or throw to him in space.  I really think these next 2 games can move the needle offensively.

I believe BG’s offense came away with just as much confidence as their defense after beating St.X their first game. I honestly don’t think it’s a confidence issue. They lost their #1 receiver, QB Cooper May have fractured or severely sprained his left hand  during 2nd quarter of PRP game (and continues to play) , they had 2 injured OL’s, and Burwash was also out at last Friday’s game. Considering ALL of those factors, I say “WAY TO KEEP PUSHING ON”! 
I think when the coaches switch up the pass and run game they are STRONG! Not the kids fault that the coaches call the same 6 plays over and over and over.  Last drive of SW game they started to call different stuff and the 2nd half of McCracken. Those coaches are putting a slow start on the Offense when they keep trying to run one player up the middle every, single time! 
That’s just my opinion.. any thoughts?!?!? 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Purplepride said:

I believe BG’s offense came away with just as much confidence as their defense after beating St.X their first game. I honestly don’t think it’s a confidence issue. They lost their #1 receiver, QB Cooper May have fractured or severely sprained his left hand  during 2nd quarter of PRP game (and continues to play) , they had 2 injured OL’s, and Burwash was also out at last Friday’s game. Considering ALL of those factors, I say “WAY TO KEEP PUSHING ON”! 
I think when the coaches switch up the pass and run game they are STRONG! Not the kids fault that the coaches call the same 6 plays over and over and over.  Last drive of SW game they started to call different stuff and the 2nd half of McCracken. Those coaches are putting a slow start on the Offense when they keep trying to run one player up the middle every, single time! 

I have to disagree that BG is running the same play over and over. I keep reading about them opening up the playbook. If I'm not mistaken BG runs a RPO offense, which provides some very diverse play calling, and with any option offense, depending on the defense it can often look like the same play. I'm guilty of it myself, but with coaches up top, and on the sideline I figure they see more than I do. Then the players have to execute. 

That being said, BG has had some significant injuries on the offensive side of the ball. With the injuries on the offensive line, I noticed they had switched up some positions there on Friday night. I'm sure they are still trying to figure out who fits the spot best. Time is running short, but I'm confident they'll have it settled in time for the playoffs.  

6 minutes ago, bernies said:

I have to disagree that BG is running the same play over and over. I keep reading about them opening up the playbook. If I'm not mistaken BG runs a RPO offense, which provides some very diverse play calling, and with any option offense, depending on the defense it can often look like the same play. I'm guilty of it myself, but with coaches up top, and on the sideline I figure they see more than I do. Then the players have to execute. 

That being said, BG has had some significant injuries on the offensive side of the ball. With the injuries on the offensive line, I noticed they had switched up some positions there on Friday night. I'm sure they are still trying to figure out who fits the spot best. Time is running short, but I'm confident they'll have it settled in time for the playoffs.  

Yes, you’re correct about them running RPOs.  I’d say it’s about a third of the plays that’re called (from my experience).

16 hours ago, Purplepride said:

1 hour ago, bernies said:

1 hour ago, Volxtile said:

Yes, you’re correct about them running RPOs.  I’d say it’s about a third of the plays that’re called (from my experience).

These are all interesting takes.

BG clearly has injuries they are dealing with and they are somewhat a cause to what we have seen, but BG has always had the mentality of next man up, even though that only works to a degree sometimes.  We might be crossed up on terminology here with "confidence".  I'm simply saying that when QB and receiver have chemistry together and you lose one of those guys and you need to have another guy step up in a moment that counts, it takes some time for the original guy to get confidence in the new guy.  I think some of that ice was broken against McCracken County. 

Concerning @bernies take on the RPO, I hadn't really considered that and it's a good consideration.  And it think it has "some" merit.

But I went back and looked at the actual drives BG had in the 2nd half against South Warren.  They only had 4 offensive drives just like South:

3Q - BG got the ball at midfield and was immediately called for holding on 1st down. They then ran to Bunton, 3 yard pass to Dingle and Cooper scrambled for 6 - Punt (3 and out).  That was their only possession of the 3rd quarter.

4Q - BG had 7 straight runs and a couple first downs (5 to Bunton, 1 to Cooper and 1 to Burwash) on 3rd and 4 the give was to Burwash and he didn't make 4 and BG was forced to punt only trailing 3-0 at this point.

4Q - After South took a 10-0 lead, pass was incomplete to Hightower, Bunton lost 5 yards on the run and Cooper scrambled for no gain (likely trying to pass but South obviously knew that as well) - 3 and out.

4Q - BGs TD drive started at their 20. A terrific pass to Vale and another to Dingle get's BG in the red zone for the first time.  Pass Interference on South moves it to where Bunton runs it in.  Great balance on this drive.

I put all this out there to show what I think South Warren wanted it to go this way instead of BG being more creative (like I feel they were at St X) and not settling for the easy read and running into the teeth of the South Warren defense.  I'm sure South Warren made an adjustment on Dingle on the read option pass where it went for about 30 yards when BG was on their own 11 in the 2nd quarter.  Why not run that again?  Yes he may have been and likely was doubled, but I'll take throwing it to my best receiver and live with the consequences.  In the 3 series leading up to the final one where they scored, how many times was Dingle targeted?  Once, a 3 yard completion.  That won't get it done against a defensive team like South Warren.

I guess I'm just asking for more balance when it's clearly needed.  I'm not suggesting going away from the run, which BG is very good at.  But when everyone selling popcorn knows this, it will make it very tough against really stout defensive teams to only do this.

Against McCracken County, BG started to throw it deep some.  LOVE that.  A couple to Dingle just didn't have the timing down, but the one to Strode was impressive.  Vale caught a couple nice balls again.  Keep that up Purples!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Purple88 said:

BG clearly has injuries they are dealing with and they are somewhat a cause to what we have seen, but BG has always had the mentality of next man up, even though that only works to a degree sometimes.  We might be crossed up on terminology here with "confidence".  I'm simply saying that when QB and receiver have chemistry together and you lose one of those guys and you need to have another guy step up in a moment that counts, it takes some time for the original guy to get confidence in the new guy.  I think some of that ice was broken against McCracken County. 

Concerning @bernies take on the RPO, I hadn't really considered that and it's a good consideration.  And it think it has "some" merit.

But I went back and looked at the actual drives BG had in the 2nd half against South Warren.  They only had 4 offensive drives just like South:

3Q - BG got the ball at midfield and was immediately called for holding on 1st down. They then ran to Bunton, 3 yard pass to Dingle and Cooper scrambled for 6 - Punt (3 and out).  That was their only possession of the 3rd quarter.

4Q - BG had 7 straight runs and a couple first downs (5 to Bunton, 1 to Cooper and 1 to Burwash) on 3rd and 4 the give was to Burwash and he didn't make 4 and BG was forced to punt only trailing 3-0 at this point.

4Q - After South took a 10-0 lead, pass was incomplete to Hightower, Bunton lost 5 yards on the run and Cooper scrambled for no gain (likely trying to pass but South obviously knew that as well) - 3 and out.

4Q - BGs TD drive started at their 20. A terrific pass to Vale and another to Dingle get's BG in the red zone for the first time.  Pass Interference on South moves it to where Bunton runs it in.  Great balance on this drive.

I put all this out there to show what I think South Warren wanted it to go this way instead of BG being more creative (like I feel they were at St X) and not settling for the easy read and running into the teeth of the South Warren defense.  I'm sure South Warren made an adjustment on Dingle on the read option pass where it went for about 30 yards when BG was on their own 11 in the 2nd quarter.  Why not run that again?  Yes he may have been and likely was doubled, but I'll take throwing it to my best receiver and live with the consequences.  In the 3 series leading up to the final one where they scored, how many times was Dingle targeted?  Once, a 3 yard completion.  That won't get it done against a defensive team like South Warren.

I guess I'm just asking for more balance when it's clearly needed.  I'm not suggesting going away from the run, which BG is very good at.  But when everyone selling popcorn knows this, it will make it very tough against really stout defensive teams to only do this.

Against McCracken County, BG started to throw it deep some.  LOVE that.  A couple to Dingle just didn't have the timing down, but the one to Strode was impressive.  Vale caught a couple nice balls again.  Keep that up Purples!

GREAT break down! I see what you’re saying!! I believe someone mentioned that Wilson and Cooper had played football together since they were 7. Talk about Chemistry.. and it showed!! Other than Dingle, I don’t think the other receivers saw any Varsity clock last year. So you’re right. It takes some practice to feel each other out and get that timing down. 
I also think Dingle scooped a few really, low passes the past few games which is difficult for his size. However , I also think there have been several that have hit his hands; very catchable passes, that he just lost sight of or heard those 10 foot steps closing in on him QUICK! Those are game changers sometimes. When he catches it, he’s dragging 2-3 players with him for days. Lol.  
I think it would be nice to run some quicker, faster guys on those WR routes who can catch that long ball. Hopefully this week and next week they’ll get to experiment a little at that receiver spot. Strode stepped up and proved he wants some passing. I think once he caught that first one last Friday, Cooper had confidence to throw it back to him. That’s what it’s all about!! Trusting each other! 
IMO... I think trying Burwash out at WR where Wilson played would be INTERESTING! I believe he would add another dimension. I would keep him on the offensive side of the ball longer. Not just for Wildcat plays here and there or to punt the ball.. 

AGAIN, I don’t coach so my opinion is just my opinion .. HaHa! It’s fun to try to think like a coach sometimes though!!  We’ll all critique our BGP coaching moves at the end of the season.. 🙃

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Purple88 said:

I’m just speaking from my experience playing there.  When I was there (2016) about a third of our plays were RPOs, obviously they have a new OC now, but I’m sure they’re still running them.