Owensboro vs. Graves County Predictions/Updates

Red Devils vs. Eagles   

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the win?

• Owensboro
    • Graves County

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2020 at 11:30 PM

The Red Devils took a break from district play in Week 5 to engage city rival Owensboro Catholic. A blowout was called for, but the Aces subverted expectations and held a lead until late in the first half. Owensboro (5-0) eventually won 28-14, but it took Gavin Wimsatt's full arsenal for them to pull it off. With the victory, the Red Devils swept the county for the second year in a row.

They return to the district slate this week against a Graves County (4-1) team that's been piling up points in recent weeks, albeit against far inferior defenses than they'll see this Friday. Eagles running back Clint McKee comes in as 5A's leader in rushing yards and touchdowns. He's working on five straight games with 125+ yards. He'll likely need to continue that streak to put Graves in position to have a shot at an upset.

Owensboro won both meetings last year by a combined score of 70-8.

4i4zix.jpg.d71ebe5a5c982f1a864f1d2104437228.jpg

Even though I was at the BG/McCracken game, I watched the Owensboro/OCath game on my iPad.  I’ve rewatched it since.  I’m not sure why the center did not play in this past game, but there were probably 25 snaps that were either at Wimsatt’s ankles or flat rolled back to him.  Wimsatt still had over 300 yards passing and 3 TD’s.  Owensboro had a ton of penalties and some on significant plays that got big gains and/or a first down.  Can’t have 10-15 penalties going forward, and I don’t expect it as they are usually pretty tight.  Flaherty, who is really WR3 or WR4 (until last week) went off and had 170 and 2.

Defense is growing by leaps and bounds.  Hines, Sophomore DT/DE had 13 tackles and is a monster, Gough was his normal self slamming people and hitting very hard (in addition to mowing down 3-4 would be tacklers on 6 yard TD run).  Goodwin a speedy OLB is playing great and had a great sack running down the QB.  QB for OCath was 8 for 16 with only 76 yards, 0 TD’s and 2 interceptions.  

I expect Owensboro to be ready for Graves who is a good team.  Graves has an experienced team with a returning QB and RB.  The RB is speedy and put up a lot of yards.  I expect a good game with Owensboro pulling away.

OHS 31-14

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gcbleedblue said:

Graves has improved significantly in the last few weeks. I’m not saying we will win, but I don’t expect a running clock. Graves QB has been playing on another level the last few weeks. I expect a 42-28 type game. 

The level of competition also decreased for Graves in recent weeks as well

• Like 2

The only game I saw Graves play was the Mayfield game.  I think they will be competitive with most teams they play, but don’t have the athletes to match up with the top tier teams for 4 quarters.  Other than Owensboro, their district leaves much to be desired.  I don’t see this game being competitive, but Graves has proved me wrong before.

Owensboro's center tore an ACL from what I read (before the last game).  This explains how the snaps in the Ocath game mostly rolled back or were ankle level.    This did affect Wimsatt somewhat in the 1st half but hopefully the 2nd stringer has it better this week.  It looks like they moved Humphries over from Guard and moved a starting DT into the LG spot.

The two score win by Owensboro last week might instill some confidence in Graves County, but if Owensboro plays a clean game tonight, I think they win comfortably by 4-5 scores. A third quarter running clock wouldn't surprise me.

If Graves is going to keep it close, establishing McKee early and moving the chains to shorten the game is crucial. You don't want a bunch of three and outs and a track meet with Owensboro breaking out.

• Like 1

I want to see the Owensboro defense against McKee and Brown.  On paper the Devils D has been much better over the past 3 weeks but it has also been against lesser competition(Catholic aside).  I think Owensboro scores 40-50.  My only question is how much do they give up?

Owensboro 42 - Graves 21

You can hear the game here: https://www.owensbororadio.com/player/?playerID=603/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good call @ApolloFan98.  OHS defense is replacing a lot from last year but they seem to be real stingy lately and fast.  Graves basically has their offense back besides #2 Goatee.  Big QB and 5A’s leading rusher in McKee. Big Oline for the Eagles and a couple big WR’s.  I saw them vs Tighlman and they are a very good team.  

Is the new center going to snap the ball correctly?  That’s the big issue for Owensboro.  Avery and Gough were out the first meeting last year in a 27-8 win but returned in the playoffs for a 43-0 win.  Graves offense is much more experienced than Owensboro defense but Owensboro offense is one of the best in state.  Can Graves dominate possession to limit Wimsatt?

• Like 1

• theguru locked this topic
  • theguru unlocked and locked this topic