Coaches From Their Playing Days

Phillip Haywood, #1 in football coaching wins Kentucky high school history, coached his 1st game the during the same year that Terry Bradshaw played in his first Super Bowl. He started his head coaching career at his alma mater, Prestonsburg in 1975. Then he made the move to Belfry in 1984, and that's where he just finished his 45th overall season as head coach. Here he is in the late 1960s in his Blackcats uniform.

EVl7cq7XkAE8TeS.jpg

EVl7d6zWAAEEqxW.jpg

EVl7eskWoAAYIkT.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a great one from his college playing days! According to him he completed this pass.

I miss Coach Yeagle. He is a great coach and even better person. When my brother played for him and our father had a heart attack, Coach Yeagle and Coach Rash were the first 2 people to come see us an

From SKHSFootball:   A little throwback for some entertainment. Today we present to you Coach Lucas: 1982 senior year at Valley Fayette HS (WV).  

Posted Images

Mojo Hollowell was a head football coach from 1957-1997. But before he was coach at Henderson County, John Marshall in Indianapolis, Union County, or Owensboro Catholic, Mojo was a 1945 all-state guard at Barrett Manual in Henderson, and then went on to play football for the UofL Cardinals.

EVpe9XZXYAASHa6.jpg

That's Meihaus over at far right in the newspaper photo. No idea what number he was on the Crimson's team, but that's their whole 1940 team, from his senior year as a halfback.

EVXyoyzXsAIAXTE.jpg

EVXyrF3XsAAbJsH.jpg

Coach Meihaus is seated on the front row, 4th from the right. Looks like #52. His nickname was “Mouse”

• Like 1

I have enjoyed all these post, pictures and videos of these coaches. Really puts in perspective the love for a sport and especially from our coaches. Thanks for posting and love to see more.

• Like 1

Chuck Servino taught at Trinity for 33 years and spent much of that time on the football coaching staff, including head coach from 1995-1998. Trinity football was the 1997 4A runner-up under Servino. He was a running back (#23) at Trinity in the 1970's.

EWPfeNtWkAACPyk.jpg

EWPfe9OXQAMu7dT.jpg

Will Wolford - started his career at St. Xavier High School as a player then went on to play college football at Vanderbilt. Was drafted in the 1st round of the '86 draft by the Buffalo Bills. He played in 3 Super Bowls, was a 3 time Pro Bowler, and was a 2nd team All Pro in '92. He played for 13 years in the NFL, a total of 191 games, and started every one of them. In my opinion, Wolford is one of the most underrated players in NFL history. After retiring from the NFL he came back home to coach his Alma Mater, St. X.

Here's former St. Xavier football coach Will Wolford from his JV days for the Tigers, and then a few photos from his time at Vanderbilt. Gotta love "The Tractor" on a tractor.

EWYT-PtXQAIytKz.jpg

EWYT_cRWkAEr3x3.jpg

EWYUAHoXkAY0aGI.jpg

EWYUAw5X0AEXRi1.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

#CoachesFromTheirPlayingDays

Ivan McGlone and Russell High School Football go hand in hand, but before he was head coach for the Red Devils (or for Vinson High School in West Virginia), McGlone was a fullback for the "Wayne Wonders" of Ceredo-Kenova High School in West Virginia.

FA8XF3gXEAYoDb7.jpg

FA8XLx6XoAY6hGZ.jpg

FA8XsSyXMAA3ILr.jpg

FA8XtrGXMAMPn8Q.jpg

• Like 1
On 3/31/2020 at 11:59 AM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Here's one that most folks around NKY ought to be familiar with. Former Beechwood head coach Mike Yeagle from his senior year at Beechwood in 1979. Yeagle was a defensive back, quarterback, and team captain.

EUcwSMdXsAEeR6r.jpg

EUcwTdqXgAE4JaF.jpg

EUcwU1UWAAAJh5L.jpg

EUcwV_MX0AEKm5k.jpg

I miss Coach Yeagle. He is a great coach and even better person. When my brother played for him and our father had a heart attack, Coach Yeagle and Coach Rash were the first 2 people to come see us and gave such encouraging words. I will never forget that.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BWTigers said:

I miss Coach Yeagle. He is a great coach and even better person. When my brother played for him and our father had a heart attack, Coach Yeagle and Coach Rash were the first 2 people to come see us and gave such encouraging words. I will never forget that.

I loved playing for Coach Yeagle. You wanted to run through a brick wall after his pre game speeches.  I agree with you him and Coach Rash are both great men. 

On 4/8/2020 at 1:39 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Former Highlands head football coach Dale Mueller is a 1973 HHS grad. He was an O-lineman & linebacker on the football team, as well as an all-state catcher on the baseball team.

EVGS3HYUUAA5p0l.jpg

EVGS56dUYAAd9d_.jpg

EVGS7TuUUAEZ2Zx.jpg

EVGS9NAUUAAQz5L.jpg

That's funny.  Seeing Dale in his coaching days, I never would have pictured him as an offensive lineman.

Before his 24 years at Mayfield, with his 254-50-2 coaching record and 4 football state titles, Jack Morris was the freshman quarterback and played varsity fullback for the Flora High School Wolves in Illinois, and played fullback at Murray State.

FBDOuVfUUAgt-sF.jpg

FBDOwcbXoAAl0Sq.jpg

FBDOxoFUYAEqFI6.jpg

FBDSwNXVEAcXcgl.jpg

• Like 1

If your last name is Jaggers, it's safe to assume that football plays a big role in your life. Here's Lincoln County & Mercer County head coach Marty Jaggers (son of Joe Jaggers who coached at Old Kentucky Home, Nelson County, Trigg County, Fort Knox and North Hardin, and father to Josh Jaggers, current head coach at LaRue County) during his years as an all-state quarterback at Trigg County. He went on to play college football at Western.

FBDZQjEXMAciITD.jpg

FBDZR7CX0AcrrvQ.jpg

FBDZSzmWYAEmXQT.jpg

FBDZThOUUAIeyV1.jpg

• Like 1