1A State Championship: New Cath 37 Danville 34

Hearsay

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow is all I can say. After being there, seeing it with my own two eyes i am still having trouble believing what I just saw. I'm just as stunned as anyone else. Congrats to Danville on making the finals. They played tremendously.

Seems like this year NewCath got the ball to bounce there way, where as in years past the ball bounced the other way.

What an unbelievable game. This has to be one of if not the most exciting finals game in history.

Theres been alot of years the ball has bounced Danvilles way..I guess the odds had to turn sooner or later...Congrats to NCC on a very gutsy comeback...They showed lots of heart and grit to do it..Also congrats to the Ads on yet another great season..Just wasn't meant to be this year..

Bingo! No excuse for not having someone directing traffic.

The night before for the 4A game was much much worse IMHO. They had someone directing the traffic into the parking lot and he was more of a problem than a help.

I was just kidding anyway....:thumb:

I know. I just wanted to make the point that this year was different. Most years the best players do come from Ft. Thomas. There's another Smith about to start varsity next year in Jake Smith. I believe that he'll be the best of the bunch. How does a city with the pop. of Ft. Thomas continue to produce so many good players for Highlands and NewCath?

The roughing the kicker call was the turning point of the game. Danville up 34-17 and about to get the ball back in the 4th quarter. NCC obviouslly had a little luck, but Danville just folded (roughing the kicker call, onside kicks, bad exchange and fumble).

Two players that really stood out to me were Kierman (#76) for NCC and #56 for Danville. Kierman was in on all the key plays in the 4th quarter. #56 for Danville was small in stature for an offensive lineman but was knocking people off the ball and crushing people on traps.

I thought the officiating was decent at best. I saw an obvious block in the back on Danville's long touchdown run right before half on #65 for NewCath right in front of the official, as well as the 3rd quarter TD pass for Danville in the 3rd Quarter when the player was clearly out of bounds. I know being a ref isn't easy, but if you get to the Finals you better be pretty darn good. I may be mistaken but doesn't the line judge have the recievers feet and the back judge the catch on a pass to the side of the endzone like that?

Maybe Coach Harp did an excellent job of getting in his head.

IMO, it was clearly a block in the side, not a block in the back. For there to be a block in the back, the initial contact must be in the opponent's back, inside the shoulders, below the helmet and above the waist. Basically, in the numbers. A block in the side does not constitute a block in the back. Nor is it considered clipping. It makes no difference where the blocker's head is located either. With regard to the catch in the end zone, I will defer to the judgment of the official who made the call. He had to make that call in a split second. That's the human element that we have to deal with in a game. High school games do not have the benefit of instant replay.

IMO, it was clearly a block in the side, not a block in the back. For there to be a block in the back, the initial contact must be in the opponent's back, inside the shoulders, below the helmet and above the waist. Basically, in the numbers. A block in the side does not constitute a block in the back. Nor is it considered clipping. It makes no difference where the blocker's head is located either. With regard to the catch in the end zone, I will defer to the judgment of the official who made the call. He had to make that call in a split second. That's the human element that we have to deal with in a game. High school games do not have the benefit of instant replay.

I talked to Michael today and he said Danville was the cleanest team he has ever played against. One of the coaches for Danville met him by his locker room and congradulated him and also said he was a great player. That really meant alot to him. Daville is without a doubt one of the most classy teams he has played against.

I left at the wrong time, i believe the score was 34-17 Danville, I thought i am gonna be the traffic. Got to the truck and hear roughing the kicker on danville and thought man i bet it will get good after that. Then a buddy a called me and said you shouldn't have left New Cath came back and won. I missed it but what i saw was a great game.