2A State Championship: Mercer County 15 Russell 12

iPapi

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job both sides. But Russell will be the first to tell you that it is hard to win with FIVE turnovers. Sounded like they outgained Mercer in total yardage, and if I am not mistaken, did Mercer county even pass the ball today?

Russell definitely slowed Mercer's juggernaut offense.

Move to 5A. The KHSAA needs new radio and tv announcers...

If you had to listen to Russell's radio announcers, you would have thought the KHSAA announcers were the world's best. I had to quit listening to the Russell broadcast when one of their announcers got upset because he thought Russell had gotten a bad spot on one particular play. He thought Russell should have had the ball on the one yard line, and even when down to the field to the sideline reporter to ask him what he thought of the spot. The sideline reporter said "I'm not sure what you're wanting, but that was the two point conversion". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Those guys were just brutal.

Great h.s. football game to listen to. Conrats to Mercer Co. on the AA State Title. I belive that these two teams were about as evenly matched as two teams could be. The game from the way I heard it came down to special teams (extra points). Mercer converts a 2pt. conversion on a bad snap when going for the kick(1pt.) which could had changed Russells decision about going for 2 later. Also, I did hear the radio crew (khsaa's site) say that they thought that the foward progress on the Mercer runner had been stopped on the one touchdown when Mercer fumbled and came up with it in the endzone on that 4th and goal they had. At any rate, this was a great game to listen to and once again - Congrats to the Mercer Co. Titans.

Nice job both sides. But Russell will be the first to tell you that it is hard to win with FIVE turnovers. Sounded like they outgained Mercer in total yardage, and if I am not mistaken, did Mercer county even pass the ball today?

Russell definitely slowed Mercer's juggernaut offense.

Russell Mercer

1st downs 14 7

Rush yards 160 196

Pass yards 145 0

Total offense 305 196

Penalties 4-20 6-35

Turnovers 5 0

You are right, the turnovers were key. Mercer rushed for more but never had the ball much in the 2nd half, or the game for that matter. Hats off to Russell and the game they left on the field. Their mistakes were from trying hard and there's no blame in that.

Congrats to Mercer County on a great win!!

Also congrats to Russell on a hard fought effort and another outstanding season. You represented our area with nothing but class. To all the Seniors, enjoy your accomplishments and good luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

If you had to listen to Russell's radio announcers, you would have thought the KHSAA announcers were the world's best. I had to quit listening to the Russell broadcast when one of their announcers got upset because he thought Russell had gotten a bad spot on one particular play. He thought Russell should have had the ball on the one yard line, and even when down to the field to the sideline reporter to ask him what he thought of the spot. The sideline reporter said "I'm not sure what you're wanting, but that was the two point conversion". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Those guys were just brutal.

:laugh: I listened to the KHSAA broadcast bc of this very reason. Russell's broadcasters are terrible.

Also, I did hear the radio crew (khsaa's site) say that they thought that the foward progress on the Mercer runner had been stopped on the one touchdown when Mercer fumbled and came up with it in the endzone on that 4th and goal they had.

And I'm sure that will be a topic that will be discussed over and over on here.

Great game!

Congrats to both teams on great seasons. :thumb:

Also goes to show you CAN be a one dimensional team and win.

It's been done before ... Danville in 2003 and Belfry in 2003 and 2004.

Actually Danville in '89 vs. Mayfield. They had one big completion for a first down in the state final but that team almost NEVER threw the ball. As one dimensional as I've seen.

Actually Danville in '89 vs. Mayfield. They had one big completion for a first down in the state final but that team almost NEVER threw the ball. As one dimensional as I've seen.

Danville in '03 didn't even pass it once in the state final game. When you have that kind of speed to run the football you can do it.