Sam Flynn

Wildcat

Sam's a great player and I'm sure that he had a whole bunch of tackles tonight but 31 is such a huge number that it makes me wonder if his dad is CovCath's statistician.

If JC ran almost all their plays between the tackles this would allow Flynn to make that many tackles.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he goes unblocked, that's the coach's fault. I watched Highlands block him all night long. CCH plays with 3 down linemen. How many offensive linemen are there?

First of all, congrats to CCH and to Flynn. Great win. Flynn is the best inside linebacker we played against all year, although Gamsky of S. Oldham is a close second. Flynn's strenghts are his quickness, speed and nose for the football. The key to blocking Flynn is having a quick guard who can run with him, and cutting back behind him since he pursues to the ball so well. In both of Highlands games against CovCath, we did a very good job blocking him. In the playoff game against Highlands, he had 4, maybe 5 tackles ( I just watched the tape with the specific purpose of counting Flynn's tackles). I don't know if JC had any quick guards, but if not, that may explain why he got a lot of tackles. If he went unblocked, that surely explains why he got a lot of tackles. Someone has to have a hat on him every play or he'll kill you.

I expect Flynn to have a very good game against BG. In watching tape of the BG team and watching them in person one game this year, they have big but not necessarily quick linemen and that's the type of line that Flynn feasts on.

And one other thing, while Flynn gets a lot of publicity (and deservedly so) Giesen, Sutton and Brueggeman are all pretty good linebackers themselves. CovCath probably has one of the top (if not the top) linebacking corps of any high school in Ky and in order to beat them, you have to block their linebackers and continue to block them until the whistle blows.

Sam's a great player and I'm sure that he had a whole bunch of tackles tonight but 31 is such a huge number that it makes me wonder if his dad is CovCath's statistician.

Nope, a student is the statistician. But thanks for trying to downplay his extraordinary accomplishment.

Leatherneck, for the 1,387th time -- you are a class act. :thumb:

Sam Flynn is a good kid, with a great motor, who played an exceptional game last night.

It's hard to compare better with two entirely different schemes, but #45 for the Eagles, Tackett?, is quite good as well. One difference, when Flynn pops someone he helps them up, when Tackett does he looks up to the crowd for acceptance. Not being critical, heck I'm an emotional guy as well, just stating a difference.

Flynn, is a good linebacker but it was the scheme that allows him to make that many tackles. He goes unblocked almost every play. I'm not trying to take anything away from Flynn or CCH because they are very good, but Michael Tackett from JC was the best LB on the field tonight.

I have to disagree with you in comparing Flynn and Tackett. I was at the game and Flynn is the better LB. While Tackett is very good, he does not possess the speed to go from sideline to sideline like Flynn does. Tackett plugs the middle as does Flynn, but Flynn has better closing speed and pursuit angles. All around just a better linebacker.

And one other thing, while Flynn gets a lot of publicity (and deservedly so) Giesen, Sutton and Brueggeman are all pretty good linebackers themselves. CovCath probably has one of the top (if not the top) linebacking corps of any high school in Ky and in order to beat them, you have to block their linebackers and continue to block them until the whistle blows.

:thumb: Way to give credit where it's due. You can't leave out Pat Hayden and Pat Van Sant who have been key parts of that linebacking crew all year as well.

I have to disagree with you in comparing Flynn and Tackett. I was at the game and Flynn is the better LB. While Tackett is very good, he does not possess the speed to go from sideline to sideline like Flynn does. Tackett plugs the middle as does Flynn, but Flynn has better closing speed and pursuit angles. All around just a better linebacker.
We will have to agree to disagree.:thumb:

Thats amazing... how many plays total do you think Johnson Central ran?

The Daily Independent said JC ran 72 plays. The Ky Post said JC was 1-6 passing. JC scored twice. So 72-5-2=65 opportunities for a tackle. I don't know if JC turned the ball over, if punts were included in the number of JC plays, or if Flynn was in the game on every defensive snap but it would appear that Flynn made a tackle literally every other play.