Lawsuit: Central HS football coach forced player to walk 1/2 mile in his underwear

Well if the district and coach is in the rite they should fight it. The lawsuits would go away. A lot of people and coaches abuse their powers. Lots of people are afraid to stand up when they see things happen for the repercussions brought upon them. Look at Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, Bobby Knight. This stuff is happening rite here in NKY. Wait till someone doesn’t accept an out of court settlement , you will be surprised. People of power deserve to control the classroom and sports team including police officers and judges but when abused should be he to a higher accountability.

I agree with most of what you say. People in power should be held accountable when they abuse their power and I agree that it does go on. I never said otherwise. I have been around the block a few times myself, and not much surprises me.

I am just saying there is another side of this story that we may never hear. If the coach is in the right, he may not be able to stand up and fight because the school’s insurance compay dictates what is cheapest, a pay out vs a court fight. Most lawsuits get settled out of court because it is cheaper to do so. The defendants are always told to keep their mouths’ shut.

I have very personal knowledge of two incidents that occurred at my workplace over the years. Both incidents were reported in the news and there was very little truth in either report. Made for a juicy news story though. It made my company sound awful. Both incidents were settled out of court. When we met about it at work we were basically told that the truth really doesn’t matter. It is a business decision to resolve the matter as quickly and cheaply as possible.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of what you say. People in power should be held accountable when they abuse their power and I agree that it does go on. I never said otherwise. I have been around the block a few times myself, and not much surprises me.

I am just saying there is another side of this story that we may never hear. If the coach is in the right, he may not be able to stand up and fight because the school’s insurance compay dictates what is cheapest, a pay out vs a court fight. Most lawsuits get settled out of court because it is cheaper to do so. The defendants are always told to keep their mouths’ shut.

I have very personal knowledge of two incidents that occurred at my workplace over the years. Both incidents were reported in the news and there was very little truth in either report. Made for a juicy news story though. It made my company sound awful. Both incidents were settled out of court. When we met about it at work we were basically told that the truth really doesn’t matter. It is a business decision to resolve the matter as quickly and cheaply as possible.

I agree 100% with you money drives it. I’m just a person who’s willing to fight and spend the money to do what’s correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Not enough info here for sure. But even if the coach did tell him to strip to his underwear and walk back to the locker room a half mile away, in what world does that constitute a lawsuit? Maybe some people need to lose their jobs, but the family and the kid do not deserve money for this!

Anyone else find this quote odd?

It says when the Central High School Athletic Director, Ryan Bringhurst, addressed the problem he said "Because of the professional careers of both of your parents and how you dress, you are the type of kid that fits in better at a school like Trinity."

What do we think this means and why does it pertain to the situation at hand?

Thought this was an odd thing to throw in the article without any indication of what it was the kid did to elicit such a response from staff.

If I catch the implications of what the AD was saying, that is despicable. Also quite wrong. On the other hand, I think every young man would benefit from a school like Trinity.

Not enough info here for sure. But even if the coach did tell him to strip to his underwear and walk back to the locker room a half mile away, in what world does that constitute a lawsuit? Maybe some people need to lose their jobs, but the family and the kid do not deserve money for this!

If true the family should not have had to sue. The coach should have already been handed his walking papers losing his pension. School districts are some of the most crooked businesses in this country. School districts sweep it under the rug til their feet are held to the fire. Maybe they should or shouldn’t be paid for the lawsuit. Many more people than just the coach should be fired.

The C-J has an article this morning that states that the young player's father is a lawyer and that he is counsel of record in the suit. Evidently the same lawyer filed another suit Friday alleging that before a playoff game against Pikeville in November, 2017 a Central player knocked a younger player unconscious, and that the older player was allowed to play. The defendants in the two suit snare the same: the head coach, AD and principal.

The C-J has an article this morning that states that the young player's father is a lawyer and that he is counsel of record in the suit. Evidently the same lawyer filed another suit Friday alleging that before a playoff game against Pikeville in November, 2017 a Central player knocked a younger player unconscious, and that the older player was allowed to play. The defendants in the two suit snare the same: the head coach, AD and principal.

I saw this new lawsuit as well. Either the head coach and AD have a ton of explaining to do or this is a personal vendetta from the wrong parent.

Where there is smoke there is fire. There is also three sides to every story.

This will be interesting.

So sad. Just sounds like helicopter parents swinging their law degree and a stupid comment (or perhaps paraphrased with interpretations rather than actual words) from an AD totally unprepared to confront these parents. The shame is a lot of classroom money going to be diverted to defense attorneys. IMO.