Who Repeats as State Champions Next Year?

Will anyone repeat as state champions?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Will anyone repeat as state champions?

• Beechwood
    • Louisville Central
    • Christian Academy-Louisville
    • Franklin-Simpson
    • Male
    • South Warren
    • None of the above. Their will be all new champions in each class.

How much does Franklin-Simpson return next year? That was a sloppy title game on both sides, but they were a BIG team and could prove to be troublesome for anyone in 4A even with the additions from 3A.

I think CAL would have beat anyone in the bottom four classes this year, and I expect them, with who they have returning, to be even better next year. I think 3A is CAL's to lose at this point, but maybe the loss of Wright will have a bigger impact than expected.

Franklin-Simpson is losing the one-two punch of Tre Bass and Carlos McKinney, the wingback and fullback who accounted for over 3000 yards rushing this year. 3 of the offensive linemen graduate as they lose center Shawn Woods and tackles Terry Scarbrough and Louisville commit Jack Randolph. Also gone are 2 tight ends Michael Punzalan and Colin Thompson and WR Jevon Covington and Jacob Clark. On defense they lose Traevon Goodnight on the line and the o-linemen who were rotating at the other line spots. Linebackers Collin Preston, Punzalan, and Dre Atkins depart as do Jaden Garner and Bass and Covington who played in the secondary.

Now for the good news: FS returns iits QB Luke Richardson who was a freshman this year. He wasn’t called on to throw very often but did a good job especially for a frosh. Leandre Stutzman returns as kick returner, safety and probably wingback on offense. Also third leading rusher Tedric Partinger will return. Offensive guards AJ Burr and Dalton Hunter return as they are already two year starters. They also played a lot on the defensive line. Connor Rogers and Chase Gooch return at linebacker. Placekicker Cole Hollingsworth will enter his junior year as already a two year starter.

Wildcats are losing a lot but still some great talent sticking around.

With the nucleus Belfry is returning I think they are the front runner in 3A. Trinity will be back in 6A. South Warren will have several holes to fill and plenty of competition in 5A and Franklin Simpson faces a similar hurdle in 4A so I say no one repeats in 2019.

Great thread everyone. We were on the Beechwood championship a couple years back. It's great to follow all the schools and teams and see how they are all doing. Thanks for all the insights! Related to Beechwood, they lose a TON. This along with moving to 2A, I cannot imagine how Rash gets them into the finals and past Mayfield. I can't see them having near the team they had a few years back that should have taken down Mayfield, but still lost (still haunts me :-) ). But, if anyone can do it, it's Noel Rash. I think the task is just way too much next year. Again, they lose a ton.