Beechwood 21 Pikeville 20 (Class 1A State Championship)

DevilMayCare

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Pikeville was 4th down on their own 13 yard line and completed that long pass, I thought the Tigers were done. So glad that Beechwood’s last 1A championship was against Pikeville and that it was such an exciting game. Congratulations to both teams on a very hard fought game.

As I sit in traffic trying to get out the parking lot........ man Pikeville was so game today. Their D line and linebackers limited Castleman all game. Cam Hergott grew up a ton today as he lead the Tigers to this victory. Pikeville’s Offense was very very good and while we were able to limit their run game their pass game was working very well. Hats off to Coach McNamee his team was well prepared and played their butts off.

That being said Coach Rash is just an absolute outstanding Coach and man. He truly deserved this victory today and I know our boys play so hard every game because of their love for him.

Way to go Tigers on #14 and Thank you to all the Seniors for all the great memories. I love this team!!!!!!!

Fantastic game.

Three big plays:

- Blocked XP on Pikeville's first score. the Panthers chased that point all day and never could find it.

- Jackson Hensley, Pikeville's #1 receiver and best "jump ball" receiver got hurt when Beechwood had a HUGE 4th and 1 conversion en route to their final score. Pikeville missed Hensley their last two drives.

- On the INT by Roberts the headlines will go to Odom who made a great Interception. The credit should also go to whoever the RE was on their Defense. Beechwood only sent three and the DE was still able to pressure Roberts and hit him as he threw the ball.

Pikeville with nothing to hang their heads about. A truly great 1A Title game.

The last two plays, the defensive end Bolger, had a sack and then put the heat on the QB which forced him to rush the throw. On both plays Bolger was also being held and still got through.

The INT play is one that Pikeville fans have to say “what if?”. Yes the qb was getting serious pressure from the back side, but “what if” the qb saw #4 down the middle? He’s wide open. But #14 did make the awesome grab on fourth and forever to keep that drive alive.

Awesome game by both teams. It was a pleasure to watch.

I was looking through championship game results over the decades and found this to be interesting... Beechwood is 8-2 in title games decided by a touchdown or less. That's an outstanding record when you're facing the best in your class. The two losses came in '95 and '02 (both to Mayfield). Today's result makes Coach Rash 4-0 in one score games in the finals. The Tigers find a way to get it done in pressure packed situations when there's hardware on the line.