Class 2A State Semi-Final: #1 Mayfield at #10 Walton-Verona

ATLCat

Who Wins?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

Last year Walton jv had beechwood on the ropes... Walton ran one back and had a terrible block in the back call and took away the TD. That score would have won the game for Walton I do believe. Not 100% of the score.

Eh. JV scores don't translate well to varsity. The freshman and maybe even middle school are more relevant to future performance than JV. The most talented players might play JV as a sophomore in deep programs, but not after that. I think you see more about the talent in a program in freshman games than in JV.

But that is a topic for another thread. The question here is how does WV match up with Mayfield.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol... these are the same comments as Glasgow vs Walton! There is an underdog up in NKY gang that likes being under the radar. Win or lose... I promise you it will be an exciting game! No laydowns or blow out in Verona!

My question is, what does walton have to do to get any credit? Walton defense is incredible. Walton has opened up both run and pass game. Coach barth will get these young men ready to play Friday.

Just ask Beechwood fans the type of monster Mayfield is. It took Mayfield leaving 1A four years ago to get Beechwood back to winning state titles. Their were some great Beechwood teams, even some better than probably the Beechwood teams who have won titles the last few years. That couldn't win a title because of Mayfield in the way.

So as someone said it's not disrespect to WV that people dont see it being a close game. Its just people know how good Mayfield is. However that is a good thing that both players and fans do believe. You have to believe if your playing in this game.

No one from WV has really elaborated on how they match up with MF. Only that they believe they can win, and how they are a different team since getting beat by a Class A team that couldn't make the semis. I do like their defense. They do a good job of keeping everything in front of them. They hardly ever get beat deep. Limiting the big play will be huge for them this week.

No one from WV has really elaborated on how they match up with MF. Only that they believe they can win, and how they are a different team since getting beat by a Class A team that couldn't make the semis. I do like their defense. They do a good job of keeping everything in front of them. They hardly ever get beat deep. Limiting the big play will be huge for them this week.

Kinda tough to elaborate on how a team matches up with another when they don’t match up at all. They both play football, there’s your match up.

I hung out with a Walton-Verona super fan last night.

He wore me out the whole night with Walton this, Walton that, the heart of this team, we beat Glasgow, we are going to beat Mayfield, and on and on and on...

I think I lectured "The Wolfe Man" and his posse for 10 minutes on the history of Mayfield football and why getting stomped on this week is nothing to be ashamed of.

I do think I scored some points with the Beechwood angle, I had them eating out of my hand until I told them Beechwood has never beaten Mayfield.

Back to Mayfield and Walton-Verona, I am ecstatic to see Walton make it this far but get out the round balls Bearcats, the party is over.

The reality is Walton does not have the tradition, the accolades, or the depth of Mayfield. No one, other than some folks in their community believe they can pull the upset. But, they are playing with house money. They weren't supposed to go this far, they will have a huge home crowd, & they have excelled at every level (just ask Highlands, Beechwood, Cov Cath & others how they did against this senior class in the past). Win or lose, they have made a mark & left a great legacy for others to follow. Let their fans enjoy the ride. And maybe, just maybe a little magic might happen tomorrow night in Verona!

What time is the game being played?

7 'o clock start time. It's kind of fun seeing Walton up in the main talked about thread in the state semi finals. Who would have ever have dreamed this in the beginning which was not long ago. From the days of practicing in the city park because they did not have a field to practice on, playing on Saturday because they had no lights and having no weights for the players to lift, I'd have say I am proud to be a Bearcat! They have nothing to lose at all and everything to gain.

I hung out with a Walton-Verona super fan last night.

He wore me out the whole night with Walton this, Walton that, the heart of this team, we beat Glasgow, we are going to beat Mayfield, and on and on and on...

I think I lectured "The Wolfe Man" and his posse for 10 minutes on the history of Mayfield football and why getting stomped on this week is nothing to be ashamed of.

I do think I scored some points with the Beechwood angle, I had them eating out of my hand until I told them Beechwood has never beaten Mayfield.

Back to Mayfield and Walton-Verona, I am ecstatic to see Walton make it this far but get out the round balls Bearcats, the party is over.

I am glad we actually have some super fans! Hopefully more super fans in our future and we become more than a basketball school.