Can Raceland compete with Beechwood?

Bac2369

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an interesting topic. I think many expect a blow-out and it may very well be, but I think Raceland should garner some respect for what they have accomplished. Raceland has a strong defense led by a coach that won multiple State Championships in the state of Ohio (Mark Lewis, Ironton). Raceland has been able to slow down some pretty potent offenses. Raceland held an Ashland team to 14 points, with that said, that was in the early season and Ashland hit its stride as the season went on, but I don't think the offense got that much better. Raceland held Greenup County scoreless. Greenup County ended up scoring 35 on Ashland, late in the season and averaging around 30 points a game. Held a strong Portsmouth West (Oh) team to 27 points. Raceland held a quality Somerset team to 16 points and highly ranked Class 1A team, Paintsville to 14 points in the second round of the playoffs. Likewise, the Rams held Pikeville to 14 points.

Beechwood has obviously put up some big numbers on offense and I'm sure their offense is of a high quality. I think Raceland will line up and make them work.

Beechwood's defense looks to be pretty darn good as well, but they have given up some points. The big questions are: 1. Can Raceland's offense put enough points on the board against such a strong defense? 2. Can Raceland's defense maintain its quality effort one more week? 3. Can Raceland jump out early and not play from behind?

The lone common opponent, if you like score comparisons, is Somerset.

Beechwood 7 Somerset 0

Raceland 13 Somerset 16

I would compare Paintsville and Kentucky Country Day as like opponents during the playoffs, as both were highly ranked throughout the season.

Beechwood 35 Kentucky Country Day 14

Raceland 31 Paintsville 14

The final BluegrassPreps Class 1 Rankings, from the first week of the playoffs:

Class 1A

1. Beechwood

2. Paintsville

3. Kentucky Country Day

4. Hazard

5. Raceland

6. Paris

7. Pikeville

8. Ludlow

9. Williamsburg

10. Frankfort

Raceland beat the number two team in the rankings, Paintsville and the team that beat the number four team in the rankings, Pikeville. Raceland also beat the number six team, Paris. Beechwood beat the number three team and the number ten team. Both teams also beat unranked teams in the first round (Raceland - Bishop Brossart and Beechwood - Campbellsville)

Here are some posts from the "Can Raceland beat Paintsville" threads a few weeks ago:

No they can not.

Paintsville by 13.

I am pulling for Raceland but I think Paintsville wins the rematch.

Good Luck to Raceland.

Paintsville 34

Raceland 21

It's an interesting topic. I think many expect a blow-out and it may very well be, but I think Raceland should garner some respect for what they have accomplished. Raceland has a strong defense led by a coach that won multiple State Championships in the state of Ohio (Mark Lewis, Ironton). Raceland has been able to slow down some pretty potent offenses. Raceland held an Ashland team to 14 points, with that said, that was in the early season and Ashland hit its stride as the season went on, but I don't think the offense got that much better. Raceland held Greenup County scoreless. Greenup County ended up scoring 35 on Ashland, late in the season and averaging around 30 points a game. Held a strong Portsmouth West (Oh) team to 27 points. Raceland held a quality Somerset team to 16 points and highly ranked Class 1A team, Paintsville to 14 points in the second round of the playoffs. Likewise, the Rams held Pikeville to 14 points.

Beechwood has obviously put up some big numbers on offense and I'm sure their offense is of a high quality. I think Raceland will line up and make them work.

Beechwood's defense looks to be pretty darn good as well, but they have given up some points. The big questions are: 1. Can Raceland's offense put enough points on the board against such a strong defense? 2. Can Raceland's defense maintain its quality effort one more week? 3. Can Raceland jump out early and not play from behind?

After watching the game Friday night I have mixed feelings about the rams defense.At times they are great,others not so great.I know penalties are part of the game,but lets be honest here.Penalties are the only thing that kept the rams in the game especially the first half.The panthers could of easily had 20 points the first half.Hopefully the rams defense plays the whole game against beechwood,not just half of the game.Good luck to the rams for a state title and hopefully no injuries.

Class 1A

1. Beechwood

2. Paintsville

3. Kentucky Country Day

4. Hazard

5. Raceland

6. Paris

7. Pikeville

8. Ludlow

9. Williamsburg

10. Frankfort

Raceland beat the number two team in the rankings, Paintsville and the team that beat the number four team in the rankings, Pikeville. Raceland also beat the number six team, Paris. Beechwood beat the number three team and the number ten team. Both teams also beat unranked teams in the first round (Raceland - Bishop Brossart and Beechwood - Campbellsville)

Beechwood also beat the #3 in AAA Corbin Redhounds!

Can Raceland score enough points to keep it close? The Tigers are going to score points. The question is can Raceland score 28-35pts against Beechwood? My gut tells me no..I don’t think people understand how good Beechwood’s defensive line and defensive backs are. The Tigers have 2 losses on the season. One of their losses came to 5A CovCath who has put a running clock on every Kentucky opponent they have played. CCH would probably give Trinity all they could handle and might win. The other loss came to 6A Simon Kenton who Beechwood actually outplayed and should of won by a couple touchdowns. Beechwood has very good size and speed for a 1A program. I really hope it’s a competitive game but I just don’t see it.. I will say Beechwood by at least 3tds...

Class 1A

1. Beechwood

2. Paintsville

3. Kentucky Country Day

4. Hazard

5. Raceland

6. Paris

7. Pikeville

8. Ludlow

9. Williamsburg

10. Frankfort

If we are going to compare wins, then let's compare wins. Beechwood only played the class A teams that they had to play. They beat #3 KCD 35-14, #8 Ludlow 63-0 and it was 56-0 at the half, #10 Frankfort and that was 47-0 at the half. They also beat #6 in AA Somerset 7-0 in a driving rainstorm, #8 Lloyd 35-14, and #10 NCC 34-6. Let's also not forget that the only blemish on Corbin's record is the 36-29 defeat at the hands of Beechwood. I think the rest of the state just found out this week, what Beechwood already knew.....that Corbin is a really good football team. Let's just hope for an injury free, competitive game between two good teams. Raceland has Beechwood's full attention.......just like Frankfort, KCD, and Campbellsville did. Raceland is the next rung on the ladder on the climb towards trying to defend the title. May the best team win.

Raceland has had a great season and should be proud of the accomplishments they have achieved so far.

Raceland can not beat Beechwood. Raceland can defeat Beechwood if Beechwood turns it over and/or has lots of penalties that keep the game close.

Beechwood is on another level. I have seen Raceland multiple times and they are a tough hard nosed blue collar football team, but they lack a standout athlete and team speed is solid but not great.

Beechwood will more than likely make this a running clock and even if they do it does not take away from what Raceland has accomplished

If we are going to compare wins, then let's compare wins. Beechwood only played the class A teams that they had to play. They beat #3 KCD 35-14, #8 Ludlow 63-0 and it was 56-0 at the half, #10 Frankfort and that was 47-0 at the half. They also beat #6 in AA Somerset 7-0 in a driving rainstorm, #8 Lloyd 35-14, and #10 NCC 34-6. Let's also not forget that the only blemish on Corbin's record is the 36-29 defeat at the hands of Beechwood. I think the rest of the state just found out this week, what Beechwood already knew.....that Corbin is a really good football team. Let's just hope for an injury free, competitive game between two good teams. Raceland has Beechwood's full attention.......just like Frankfort, KCD, and Campbellsville did. Raceland is the next rung on the ladder on the climb towards trying to defend the title. May the best team win.

All good points and I can't disagree with any of them.

Raceland, like Beechwood has not played any Class 1A teams other then the ones they are required to. That is normal for Raceland too. In recent years, Raceland did schedule Pikeville a few times during the regular season, but normally Raceland does not play out of district 1A teams. That is something Raceland learned a long time ago from teams like Beechwood. Coach Bill Tom Ross started scheduling the largest schools in the area and many thought him to be crazy, but he was doing that in an effort to prepare for the NKY teams he was going to see in the playoffs. That was when Raceland started playing Ashland, and no 1A team in the area would do that, but he was preparing for Beechwood, Bellevue and, at the time, Newport Central Catholic.

Beechwood's schedule is stronger then Raceland's, I won't dispute that. But, with that said, Raceland schedule the regular season to prepare for this game. Ashland is not as strong at Simon Kenton, but Ashland is the largest school in our area and that game was for preparation. Portsmouth West (OH) is not as strong as they have been in recent years, but they are a strong program with a very good team. Likewise, Valley (OH) is not as strong as normal, but that game was scheduled due to their quality program and a hope they would be strong.

Just some thoughts to let the state know more about Raceland.

Raceland has had a great season and should be proud of the accomplishments they have achieved so far.

Raceland can not beat Beechwood. Raceland can defeat Beechwood if Beechwood turns it over and/or has lots of penalties that keep the game close.

Beechwood is on another level. I have seen Raceland multiple times and they are a tough hard nosed blue collar football team, but they lack a standout athlete and team speed is solid but not great.

Beechwood will more than likely make this a running clock and even if they do it does not take away from what Raceland has accomplished

I'm not trying to be over the top with my support of my team, but I do dislike posts like this where a running clock is predicted and then the disclaimer is given that the only way that doesn't happen is if the predicted winning team does something wrong.

Beechwood is the favorite and should be without a question. But, But, if Raceland plays their best game and makes it competitive, please just give them credit for a game well played and not lay their effort and quality game off as Beechwood didn't play well. People complain about the lack of competitiveness of games, if this turns out to be a competitive game, be glad and congratulate the winning team and losing team for a good effort and go on.

Thank you for the compliments given to Raceland, they are blue collar and a hard working bunch, that is the normal mantra for Raceland and has produced some quality teams over the years.