Does Highlands need a coaching change?

katbird

Does Highlands need a new leader?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Does Highlands need a new leader?

To platoon or not platoon. Tough question. HHS has won state championships both ways. IMO...It really depends on adapting each year to what you have. Every coach knows their talent level and depth. The reason I think Dale was so good is because he adapted so well to all the variables you face coaching high school sports.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I though Mueller came out of Cincy? Coached several years there before coming to HHS? Did he play for/graduate from Highlands?

He graduated from Highlands, played for Mike Murphy (Highlands grad). Won a state championship I think his jr. year.

Then he played baseball at Cornell, became an engineer. Decided he wanted to coach, went back to school. Coached at Sycamore, Withrow, and maybe another school before returning to Highlands.

There are a couple non-Highlands grad ex head coaches but Duffy and Owen Hauk are only ones I know of.

I believe it will be one of those good stories, in a couple years BW gets the program rolling again at state championship caliber play. The talent is coming, he can do it.

To platoon or not platoon. Tough question. HHS has won state championships both ways. IMO...It really depends on adapting each year to what you have. Every coach knows their talent level and depth. The reason I think Dale was so good is because he adapted so well to all the variables you face coaching high school sports.

:thumb:

I totally agree. Dale was very good at making adjustments and getting the guys to buy in. He was a head coach at two different schools before HHS and was more seasoned at the position. Its BW first go as head coach. I know Brian was co-head coach with Dale for a number of years before Dale retired but its not the same.

Also I feel Brian has been slow to allow guys to play both sides of the ball. He believes in the advantages of the platoon system - keeping players fresh, limited exposure to injury, more focused learning of the position, etc. How much do you give up to get a marginal increase in results. Some tough decisions for a coach and a lot of room for arm chair quarterbacks. I am sure he will be given ample time to succeed.

He graduated from Highlands, played for Mike Murphy (Highlands grad). Won a state championship I think his jr. year.

Then he played baseball at Cornell, became an engineer. Decided he wanted to coach, went back to school. Coached at Sycamore, Withrow, and maybe another school before returning to Highlands.

There are a couple non-Highlands grad ex head coaches but Duffy and Owen Hauk are only ones I know of.

Did Mike Murphy graduate from Highlands? I know he coached with Homer Rice and Owen Hauck, but I read an article he won a state pole vault championship with Holmes.

Since the start of state championship play, the only true non Highlands guy brought in was Duffy. And they politely asked him to leave. Interesting, I also read they asked Herrman if he would like to resign after he won his first title. Highlands is a tough place to coach. Everyone else either graduated from Highlands or were long time assistants.

Did Mike Murphy graduate from Highlands? I know he coached with Homer Rice and Owen Hauck, but I read an article he won a state pole vault championship with Holmes.

Since the start of state championship play, the only true non Highlands guy brought in was Duffy. And they politely asked him to leave. Interesting, I also read they asked Herrman if he would like to resign after he won his first title. Highlands is a tough place to coach. Everyone else either graduated from Highlands or were long time assistants.

I'm pretty sure Mike Murphy was a highlands grad. I have the Highlands almanac that Mr. Honchell put together and there is a Mike Murphy as a captain about the year he would've been there, I guess it could be a different Mike Murphy.

The reason why Duffy was asked to leave had nothing to do with performance. His players loved him, all 23 on the roster... It was a really weird situation and I'll leave it at that.

No, he is not the only current NKY coach that has one.

Oh yeah for sure. Eviston won one with NCC. Rash has some with Beechwood. I don't think a 6A NKy team has ever won state though right?

I believe in the original comment the poster said I'll start the list. I don't think he meant that BW was the only one...

Oh yeah for sure. Eviston won one with NCC. Rash has some with Beechwood. I don't think a 6A NKy team has ever won state though right?

I believe in the original comment the poster said I'll start the list. I don't think he meant that BW was the only one...

You are correct, I misread the statement. I guess it is too many hits to the head.

I'm pretty sure Mike Murphy was a highlands grad. I have the Highlands almanac that Mr. Honchell put together and there is a Mike Murphy as a captain about the year he would've been there, I guess it could be a different Mike Murphy.

The reason why Duffy was asked to leave had nothing to do with performance. His players loved him, all 23 on the roster... It was a really weird situation and I'll leave it at that.

I think Mike Murphy was actually a Holmes grad

I think that the culture is definitely different under BW. He doesn't connect with the players the same as Dale did. There have been several varsity starters that have left and went to different schools in the last couple years. Lots of starting football players playing baseball and missing important football training. I think BW is a solid coach but Highschool football is about getting the athletes on the field and believing in themselves. Very few do it like Dale. I think they need a new head coach but BW should still be on the staff.