Does Highlands need a coaching change?

katbird

Does Highlands need a new leader?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Does Highlands need a new leader?

Some just refuse to admit it happened in the past, and that its part of the issue at current.

Okay, so let me ask this? As many people that would have loved to take down HHS...and nothing! All those years of accusations and nothing. Don't you think that SOMETHING would have been proved and assesed? But nothing! So again, all rumors til something is proven. And again, do you know how many accusations I've heard over the years?? I mean so many that we became numb to it. You all can keep reaching an making accusations, but you really have no idea unless you have first hand information. And I mean first hand. I'm not talking about this info that's trying to take down Trump. Real info. And I will say this. If you had it at the time, you would have brought it up cause every program in NKY would have love to take down HHS at that time.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we've usually hired Highlands guys and it resulted in 23 state championships. So maybe you don't know what you're talking about.

Really? :lol2: Didn't know that was a qualification to be a HHS head coach.

Keep digging, you might find some bones.:rolleyes:

I'm just asking questions. I didn't introduce the topic. I have no dog in this fight beyond a curiosity about Ky football history. Some of you HHS folks are way too sensitive.

Okay, so let me ask this? As many people that would have loved to take down HHS...and nothing! All those years of accusations and nothing. Don't you think that SOMETHING would have been proved and assesed? But nothing! So again, all rumors til something is proven. And again, do you know how many accusations I've heard over the years?? I mean so many that we became numb to it. You all can keep reaching an making accusations, but you really have no idea unless you have first hand information. And I mean first hand. I'm not talking about this info that's trying to take down Trump. Real info. And I will say this. If you had it at the time, you would have brought it up cause every program in NKY would have love to take down HHS at that time.

Easy buddy, pull and Aaron Rodgers and RELAX a second. I never mentioned the "R" word, and I wont, im all for school choice to start with. All I said was that kids came from outside Highlands district to play for them, and they are not now. There is no denying that, there has been hundreds of you have said. Furthermore where do you get im trying to "Take down HHS"? Ive just have a repeated explanation as to why HHS isnt as good as it was.

Believe me I get what you are saying on rumors, however, I dealt with it, confronted it, and reported it (didn't stop it). Let me just say that when varsity football coaches, including the head coach attends a middle school basketball game which their school was not playing, which had no family playing, and wanted to talk to a basketball player from the school where I was principal after the game. When I asked why, the head coach smiled and said "dont worry if I don't talk to him tonight , I will eventually" I said I don't doubt that, but have a good evening. That player ended up playing at HHS and did very very well, one of the best.

I know the player personally and he and I have had a laugh or two about it a couple of times.

Still all perceptions of what was happeneing. Just because you say he will talk to him eventually, you're making assumptions as to what that means. How many head coaches have watched other kids play? And if you reported it I'm sure it was investigated. Do you know how many people reported things during Mueller's time there? And still nothing! He was my AD while in his last year's. His advice to me was play completely by the rules and suspect EVERYONE as trying to take you down. Strick instructions to refer everyone to the administration and don't have conversations about your program. Because people would love to take hhs down in any sport. That is straight from his mouth. So again, believe what you want. And you have your perception of the event. But you reported it and nothing happened. Just like 100's of other reports and accusations.

Still all perceptions of what was happeneing. Just because you say he will talk to him eventually, you're making assumptions as to what that means. How many head coaches have watched other kids play? And if you reported it I'm sure it was investigated. Do you know how many people reported things during Mueller's time there? And still nothing! He was my AD while in his last year's. His advice to me was play completely by the rules and suspect EVERYONE as trying to take you down. Strick instructions to refer everyone to the administration and don't have conversations about your program. Because people would love to take hhs down in any sport. That is straight from his mouth. So again, believe what you want. And you have your perception of the event. But you reported it and nothing happened. Just like 100's of other reports and accusations.

Yep nothing was done and let me explain what happened. The kid's parents were either seperated or divorced at the time. He lived with mom in the school district where I was principal. In fact, not too far from where I lived. He lived with mom through high school. Dad, whom he never saw had a place in Ft Thomas. I reported it to the AD at the high school he would attend. They reported it t KHSAA, I was told, not certain, though. My guess, is he lived with dad an dmaybe mom eventually moved there, I don't know. To think I had it out for HHS is, as you said many did, well I could have craed less. I was up to my eyeballs with 1000 middle schoolers on a daily basis. HHS football was never on my radar. I saw something I thought was worong and still do by the way, did what I believed wa right to do and moved on.

By the way I encountered several of these in my days as a principal and not all HHS. If I saw it, I reported it. What people want to believe they believe. To think things like this doesn't happen, didn't happen, and won't happen again is just naive. I am of the belief it happens all the time with some schools and have seen more than a few times. Maybe this was just an isolated incidence with a young coach. Maybe he just saw a random middle school game on the schedule and thought I want to go see some 13 year olds play a basketball game. Maybe he was just messing around with some goofy middle school principal. Maybe I just misread this whole thing. Bigger than me, I really don't care, never really did. It's the high school game for some, not all. I have lived this more than once. But maybe it's just all rumors and others do it but not my school.

My son was an out of district kid to play at HHS. He was an excellent youth player and not one person recruited him. People always claimed that they did. He chose to go to HHS because of the "culture". He wanted to be part of a winning program. Dale ran the program like a machine but he always made sure the players felt like they were the most important people there and they would have given their arm to Dale if he asked for it. I never got that impression from BW. And the players noticed. No one will ever be the coach Dale was at highlands. No one. But if it's not broken don't fix it. Im sure that throughout Dales tenure he didn't have the largest or faster or strongest players but they sure believed they were and when they got on the field they played like it.

Dale always had the fastest team he ever coached. Every year...

Fractured..the talent is there, but is playing all over the place some in FTJFL some in NKYFL all the way up to 8th. The coaching in FTJFL is average

It was always that way. This is not new.

As for coaching, I can't speak for that. I know that very few leagues get as many ex college players as the FTJFL

Most every year HHS has out of district students play football but the percentage compared to the students who live in FT has been small. Some have been very good players but again the percentage is small compared to the very good players who live in the city. Why did the out of district students choose to go the HHS. Many different reasons can be listed - Education, Parent choice, team success, friendship, opportunity, Coaching, etc.

Look at the percentage of male students that participate in the game on a Friday night. The school has mid 400 male students and approx 100 dress for the varsity game. Both Dale and Brian worked hard to establish platooning of the team. They not only platoon but do numerous subbing of positions. They also look to the Seniors for leadership and have high expectations of them. I am almost certain that compared to other schools HHS has a much higher percentage of male student body touching the field on Friday nights.

You can argue both sides of platooning. If they stop the platooning and limit the numbers I do not believe the results would have seen a significant difference last year. Might of helped with the score differential. This year they are in similar situations with the larger 6A schools and Cov Cath.

So as a coach do you blow up the platooning now and then try and get the buy-in and go back when the talent supports its use. How is this action good for the program over the long term? Would this action be taken just to placate the HHS individuals in the know.

I think BW will be given the time to succeed. Last year and this year are not the measure to use to judge his coaching ability - I believe the HHS individuals in the know understand this.

I'm thinking the big danger for Highlands with this downswing, or call it what you want, is the loss of the mystique that has drawn players to play for the Bluebirds, with the assumed assurance of playing in a championship caliber program, earning rings on an annual basis, earning a nice college scholly, and being worshiped by your peers.

I have spoken with players coming out of the eighth grade who have broken family traditions and cast their lot with the Birds with exactly those expectations. They simply wanted to give it a chance, roll the dice, and see where it would take them, fully expecting to compete for a state title and land a college scholarship as a result.

Even with the new, awesome training facilities etc., it starts in the Fort Thomas Junior High Football League. Players there see what is happening in front of them, and can't wait to be a part of it.

With the recent turn of events, perhaps the anticipation of playing for the Birds isn't as glamorous as in the past, and if things start to break down at that level, then it will have far-reaching implications with the overall program in the future.

Most every year HHS has out of district students play football but the percentage compared to the students who live in FT has been small. Some have been very good players but again the percentage is small compared to the very good players who live in the city. Why did the out of district students choose to go the HHS. Many different reasons can be listed - Education, Parent choice, team success, friendship, opportunity, Coaching, etc.

Look at the percentage of male students that participate in the game on a Friday night. The school has mid 400 male students and approx 100 dress for the varsity game. Both Dale and Brian worked hard to establish platooning of the team. They not only platoon but do numerous subbing of positions. They also look to the Seniors for leadership and have high expectations of them. I am almost certain that compared to other schools HHS has a much higher percentage of male student body touching the field on Friday nights.

You can argue both sides of platooning. If they stop the platooning and limit the numbers I do not believe the results would have seen a significant difference last year. Might of helped with the score differential. This year they are in similar situations with the larger 6A schools and Cov Cath.

So as a coach do you blow up the platooning now and then try and get the buy-in and go back when the talent supports its use. How is this action good for the program over the long term? Would this action be taken just to placate the HHS individuals in the know.

I think BW will be given the time to succeed. Last year and this year are not the measure to use to judge his coaching ability - I believe the HHS individuals in the know understand this.

Platooning isdor the weak. You play who will win you games. When you're not winning games, you go back to who will win you games. Who cares how many kids touch the field. This isn't kindergarten. You don't get a participation trophy.