Does Highlands need a coaching change?

katbird

Does Highlands need a new leader?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Does Highlands need a new leader?

I thought if you graduated from Highlands you were a Highlands guy for the rest of your life. Didn't know it wore off.

He is a Highlands guy, but do you think he is coaching the way Duffy coached him? Or do you think he does his own thing? BW graduated with Coach Wolfe and as soon as he graduated college, went to work for Highlands. BW is a Highlands guy through and through. Coach Wolfe has won at a few different schools.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're starting to see some of the boosters growl. That's worst case scenario for BW.

The guy can coach, you can't argue against that. Down like 42 points at half in his first year in the state championship and pulled out the win. That's coaching, I realize he had freak Beau Hoge, but still. There has been less freaks of talent lately but that happens. From 83 thru 88 they didn't win anything amazing. I believe BW can right the ship through this patch, but if he doesn't soon he'll be out.

He is a Highlands guy, but do you think he is coaching the way Duffy coached him? Or do you think he does his own thing? BW graduated with Coach Wolfe and as soon as he graduated college, went to work for Highlands. BW is a Highlands guy through and through. Coach Wolfe has won at a few different schools.

Right, I gotcha. I bet he is different than Duffy, but I bet that Highlands attitude is still in him. Like running up that hill when sprints are over. Duffy and Mueller were very different but they both were 150% guys that were going to out work, out hustle, out prepare, and out tough the other guy starting in January. I think that goes all the way back the Homer Rice. BW has it in him too, I believe he will turn it around. I really believe that other teams are just doing what Highlands did now.

Do the HHS faithfull really think that Dale could have won with this level of talent? Clearly, kids who were flocking to HHS years ago are going else where now. Has there been lost connection with the youth program?

Flocking??? You realize that over time those flocking to HHS only made up about 5% of the roster each year. And there are tuition kids on the team now! And there were the last two years.

How many people will claim to be "in the know" in some way in this thread and have absolutely no idea what they are talking about?

I can tell you there are only a very few on here and one of them is in this thread.

Or good players that dont like said culture dont play either, which reduces the talent on a team.

Do you know how many really good players chose not to play over the years because of the culture? It's hundreds.

Thinking on this a little more today and thinking about culture, I think the thing that lacks the most is the LOVE for the game. Over the many many years that Highlands football has been around that is what most kids grew up wanting to be and I am not sure that is there right now. Dale was a master at tapping into that desire and having kids live, eat and breathe Highlands football. Now kids start playing soccer, baseball and basketball at an age younger than football. Mom's do not want their little boys running the risk of getting hurt and push them to these other sports where the severity of injury is not as great.

Coaches, parents and administrators can not instill that in a football players heart and mind rather it has to come from within

Thinking on this a little more today and thinking about culture, I think the thing that lacks the most is the LOVE for the game. Over the many many years that Highlands football has been around that is what most kids grew up wanting to be and I am not sure that is there right now. Dale was a master at tapping into that desire and having kids live, eat and breathe Highlands football. Now kids start playing soccer, baseball and basketball at an age younger than football. Mom's do not want their little boys running the risk of getting hurt and push them to these other sports where the severity of injury is not as great.

Coaches, parents and administrators can not instill that in a football players heart and mind rather it has to come from within

You are making a lot of sense in this post.

People are entitled to their opinions. But I really wish this whole idea would not even be brought up. Brian Weinrich was on staff for all 11 state championships won during Dale Mueller's 20 years. He knows as well as anyone how to run a program. The Ryle game was frustrating to watch, but I can tell you these coaches are doing what they can to put the players in position to succeed. It's just unfortunate that six linebackers were out yesterday. But even then, Coach Weinrich does not make excuses.