Does Highlands need a coaching change?

katbird

Does Highlands need a new leader?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Does Highlands need a new leader?

Serious question here. This is the second year of a two year contract? I wonder what next years schedule will look like. I would be totally SHOCKED if Highlands is even thinking about dropping down a class. What kind of message would that send to EVERYBODY involved in high school football across the state and the country?

I believe coaching is part of the problem. How big a part, I really don't know.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Culture has clearly changed in the program. Talented kids, but doesn't seem there is a sense of urgency or a need to prove they belong with great TEAMS of the past (it takes every player to buy in).

IMO what Mueller accomplished at a public school was spectacular and may very well be never accomplished again. The difference between Highlands and Beechwood is the size of schools Highlands played against and routinely throttled. You would have to expect bigger schools to field better, stronger teams - and it simply didn't matter. Highlands crushed the competition.

Change appears to be necessary - waking the echos of past greatness may not be a realistic expectation.

Culture has clearly changed in the program. Talented kids, but doesn't seem there is a sense of urgency or a need to prove they belong with great TEAMS of the past (it takes every player to buy in).

IMO what Mueller accomplished at a public school was spectacular and may very well be never accomplished again. The difference between Highlands and Beechwood is the size of schools Highlands played against and routinely throttled. You would have to expect bigger schools to field better, stronger teams - and it simply didn't matter. Highlands crushed the competition.

Change appears to be necessary - waking the echos of past greatness may not be a realistic expectation.

Doesnt the culture of any team change with its players?

Doesnt the culture of any team change with its players?

Culture molds players more than players mold culture.

There is clearly a relationship - but culture is a powerful, sustaining influence that reinforces the desired behaviors without a word being spoken.

The culture certainly seems to have changed in Fort Thomas.

As someone that's not affiliated with the Highlands program I just want to add this small tidbit to the equation. First of all I haven't seen Highlands play in the last few years. But I do recall an convo with Dale. Asked about his O-line was told that these guys were gang busters coming up through the feeder in a different position. He told these guys if they wanted to help this team they'd learn how to play o-line. They didn't gripe or complain but instead accepted the challenge and by their senior years they were kicking our butts by 50 or so points at state. That's the change I've noticed by reading posts and witnessing some animosity on the sound lines a few years ago When Highlands played one of the Warren schools in BG. In my opinion that's what kinda started the culture change.

Serious question here. This is the second year of a two year contract? I wonder what next years schedule will look like. I would be totally SHOCKED if Highlands is even thinking about dropping down a class. What kind of message would that send to EVERYBODY involved in high school football across the state and the country?

I believe coaching is part of the problem. How big a part, I really don't know.

Across the state? That HHS is at normal high school football level.

Around the country? Now that is kind of funny. HHS isn't sending any type of message around the country.

Across the state? That HHS is at normal high school football level.

Around the country? Now that is kind of funny. HHS isn't sending any type of message around the country.

The history of Highlands football is over 100 years. Having the 2nd most wins in the country, people are familiar with the Birds. Take a look at the out of state opponents and see how well the Birds have done over the years.

HHS might be at a normal football level now, but over the decades, they have been the cream of the crop.

People closer to the program and with more insight are the ones who can answer the question better than I. I haven't seen this year's team yet so my opinion there has no insight. I saw last year's team. Two possessions in I was asking myself what in the heck they were doing on defense. The personnel did not look like good fits in the positions they were playing. The scheme did not come close to matching the personnel they were playing. They did not adapt at all to what was happening in the game. I was shocked at the Highlands defense I saw. That raises a lot of question for this outsider.

Would hiring a Highlands guy be the right thing to do if a change is made?

Well we've usually hired Highlands guys and it resulted in 23 state championships. So maybe you don't know what you're talking about.

Fractured..the talent is there, but is playing all over the place some in FTJFL some in NKYFL all the way up to 8th. The coaching in FTJFL is average

The biggest changes in recent years are that the Fort Thomas Junior Football League has started playing with the NKYFL...which changes up their system a bit, and that they have obviously had a head-coaching turnover. If anyone thinks that those two things aren't the issue, they're kidding themselves.

Well, Coach Wolfe hasn't been a Highlands guy since 1990. I would say he has his own way of doing things and the proof is what he is doing at Male.

I thought if you graduated from Highlands you were a Highlands guy for the rest of your life. Didn't know it wore off.