What's so unhealthy about Eastern Kentucky?

Colonels_Wear_Blue

I agree with all the above & add physical inactivity. It is ridiculous-go to any Walmart in Eastern Ky & you'll see morbid obesity(men, women & kids) 7 out of 10 people walking or riding a cart. Typically they will cruise the lot waiting for a close place to park.:rolleyes: Their carts are usually loaded with pastries & pop.

I would be very curious to see these numbers broken down into socioeconomic status within the region. Obviously the raw number of lower, middle, and upper are going to be quite different from more urban areas. However, if you compare the average health statistics from the low income of Appalachia to the low income of say Louisville metro and the high income of Appalachia to the high income of Louisville metro it would more clearly reveal whether its just a greater proportion of economically disadvantaged people in Appalachia causing this or if there are other factors at play (cultural, environmental etc).

@Voice of Reason pretty much has it nailed.

Smoking, Drug use, Obesity and Alcohol Abuse are likely the main factors. But all of the others VoR mentioned factor in as well. The urban areas of Eastern Kentucky likely have lower "unhealthy numbers" than the more rural areas, but I'm sure both are higher than the national average.