NKYFL Fine for Scrimmaging Covington Catholic Youth Programs

4th&1

The Spartans are the feeder program for Beechwood. They work in conjunction, not against Beechwood.

Before I start, admittedly I am not an expert on the NKYFL.

With that said, the Spartans feed kids into Dixie, Beechwood, CovCath and probably a couple of other schools on occasion so the Spartans are not the feeder program for Beechwood.

Second, do the Spartans still have a Senior team? If so, they are in definite competition, if not, then Beechwood put the Spartans out of the League so either way it is very similar to CovCath.

Anyone?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cov Cath is NOT why teams are folding. Although, maybe, just maybe parents see it as a better option. Much like parents moving their kids to middle school football instead of them playing in the senior division. Kids are leaving for a reason. If there are better options, people are going to take them. Years of "daddy ball", adult egos, win at all costs and lots of other problems are starting to catch up to the NKYFL. Fining teams for playing Cov Cath isn't going to prevent or fix any of those problems.

We are basically on the same page. I misspoke a little - didn't mean to implicate that CCH's youth program was the soul reason that the NKYFL is failing. CCH's youth program is a feeder system for the high school that started competing in the northern KY middle school league and has expanded. They compete in a different league, but they're basically the same as the other northern KY middle school football programs you referenced in your second sentence. It's all of those middle school programs that are killing the NKYFL.

Before I start, admittedly I am not an expert on the NKYFL.

With that said, the Spartans feed kids into Dixie, Beechwood, CovCath and probably a couple of other schools on occasion so the Spartans are not the feeder program for Beechwood.

Second, do the Spartans still have a Senior team? If so, they are in definite competition, if not, then Beechwood put the Spartans out of the League so either way it is very similar to CovCath.

Anyone?

They (Spartans) do not have a senior team

Edited by BubbyKY
additional information

Also while we are at it everyone, if for whatever reason, a kid from Fort Thomas wants to play for one of the Campbell County teams in the NKYFL are they allowed to play or does the NKYFL refuse to allow them into the league (you know, territories and all) and does the NKYFL tell the kid/parents they have to play in the Fort Thomas League?

They (Spartans) do not have a senior team

Who is they and what do they not do?

You edited it after I quoted it, thanks for the updated info.

Okay, so the Spartans no longer have a Senior Team which is obviously because Beechwood plays Middle School Football which means Beechwood's Middle School took some of the "NKYFL's Territory" which makes Beechwood the same as Covington Catholic for purposes of fines and boycotts.

With all that in mind, is there a fine for scrimmaging or associating with Beechwood or does the NKYFL Fine Policy just apply to Covington Catholic?

Also while we are at it everyone, if for whatever reason, a kid from Fort Thomas wants to play for one of the Campbell County teams in the NKYFL are they allowed to play or does the NKYFL refuse to allow them into the league (you know, territories and all) and does the NKYFL tell the kid/parents they have to play in the Fort Thomas League?

They let kids from Grant Co play with South Kenton a few years ago, so......

That's an easy answer. No they wouldn't. Any kid who doesn't live in a specific territory (they even have a name for it...it's called a "gray area") is fair game for any team that borders the area where they live. They'll gladly take that kid. And it's written into the bylaws.

Now in this specific example, since Fort Thomas now has a team in the NKYFL, this would no longer be a "gray area", and the kid would have to go through a waiver process.

Maybe it's a little tougher now since the league has expanded adding Boone County and Grant County to the mix.

That's an easy answer. No they wouldn't. Any kid who doesn't live in a specific territory (they even have a name for it...it's called a "gray area") is fair game for any team that borders the area where they live. They'll gladly take that kid. And it's written into the bylaws.

If I am following then is there a map that shows the territories and that also shows the open territories that all the teams can recruit from?

Now in this specific example, since Fort Thomas now has a team in the NKYFL, this would no longer be a "gray area", and the kid would have to go through a waiver process.

Maybe it's a little tougher now since the league has expanded adding Boone County and Grant County to the mix.

You added to your post so I am going to quote you again.

Like I said earlier, I am not an expert on this. I am looking at the NKYFL site and I don't see any Fort Thomas Teams listed. What am I missing?

If I am following then is there a map that shows the territories and that also shows the open territories that all the teams can recruit from?

Haven't seen a map in a long time. Last one I saw was about 7 or 8 years ago. And they've added Boone, Grant and some other teams since then. But I'm guessing it still exists. It wasn't all that long ago, they allowed a Cincinnati team into the Senior division to fill a spot when teams started folding their Senior Squads. Really, I believe that was the only reason they've kept adding teams...to keep the senior division afloat. I believe the senior division is down to 2 Ft Thomas teams, 2 Conner teams, Dayton, Red Devils and Bengal Tigers.

Haven't seen a map in a long time. Last one I saw was about 7 or 8 years ago. And they've added Boone, Grant and some other teams since then. But I'm guessing it still exists. It wasn't all that long ago, they allowed a Cincinnati team into the Senior division to fill a spot when teams started folding their Senior Squads. Really, I believe that was the only reason they've kept adding teams...to keep the senior division afloat. I believe the senior division is down to 2 Ft Thomas teams, 2 Conner teams, Dayton, Red Devils and Bengal Tigers.

So now we have a "League" that has a Highlands Team in it and that League boycotts Covington Catholic and fines teams for associating with Covington Catholic.

Just WoW!

You added to your post so I am going to quote you again.

Like I said earlier, I am not an expert on this. I am looking at the NKYFL site and I don't see any Fort Thomas Teams listed. What am I missing?

Yeah, I keep thinking, so I added more. If you look at the Senior Schedule, Fort Thomas has two teams in the Senior Division, but none in the Junior division and down. But you're right, I'm not seeing where they are listed as one of the member organizations. So I'd be interested in hearing an answer to your question. If a Junior (or midget or starter) aged kid from Fort Thomas wanted to play, I'm guessing they could probably play for either Campbell County team (the Red Devils, or CC Youth), Dayton, Bellevue or Newport, without a waiver, since those teams all border Fort Thomas (roughly).

Yeah, I keep thinking, so I added more. If you look at the Senior Schedule, they have two teams in the Senior Division. But you're right, I'm not seeing where they are listed as one of the member organizations. So I'd be interested in hearing an answer to your question. If a Junior (or midget or starter) aged kid from Fort Thomas wanted to play, I'm guessing they could probably play for either Campbell County team (the Red Devils, or CC Youth), Dayton, Bellevue or Newport, without a waiver, since those teams all border Fort Thomas (roughly).

I am guessing they probably could too.

This Fine Policy sounds like ten kinds of hypocrisy to me.