NKYFL Fine for Scrimmaging Covington Catholic Youth Programs

4th&1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon the long post, but I'm going to go on record saying that issue goes WAY back, and the fault rests squarely on the shoulders of the old guard of the NKYFL. For a long time, and prior to many of the new teams like the Bandits, the Eagles, and the Tomahaks being on the scene, many (most) of the NKYFL team districts very closely resembled the high school districts around Northern Kentucky. They weren't 100% exact, but man were they awfully darn close.

Dayton Roadrunners = Dayton High School

Bellevue Tigers = Bellevue High School

South Kenton Nittany Lions = Simon Kenton High School

Newport Firefighters = Newport High School

Ft. Mitchell Spartans = Beechwood High School

Dixie Raiders = Dixie Heights High School

Erlanger Lions = Lloyd High School

Ludlow Panthers = Ludlow High School

Ft. Wright Bengal Tigers = Holmes High School (-ish)

Campbell County Red Devils = Campbell County High School (-ish)

The fact was, those teams were de facto feeder systems for those high schools. The coaching staffs on numerous of the teams were made up of former high school players, former assistant coaches, and past/present high school player parents of the high schools into which they essentially fed their players....except they just didn't really ever seem nearly so interested in including of the former players/coaches/parents from the area's private high schools.

That's where the problem started: the NKYFL had these "team guys" who were coaching Ludlow HS football to Ludlow Youth players, Bellevue HS football to Bellevue Youth players, Dixie Heights football to Dixie Raiders players, and so on. Take it a step further, now you have a lot of parents of future Cov Cath students and future New Cath students who begin to perceive that their youth league children aren't getting the same shot at playing time as the kids on their team who are going to be headed to play ball at the public high school when they get a little older.

Anyway, the immediate pushback - particularly on the Kenton County side of things - was that you suddenly have parents trying to push hard to get Cov Cath to start up a youth team of their own. NKYFL says no dice on a Covington Catholic youth team. So then the parents ask Cov Cath to start their own version of the Fort Thomas Junior Football League. At that point (late-80s / early-90s) Cov Cath football coach Lynn Ray and Cov Cath athletic director Mike Guidugli were not interested in the effort required to start an entire youth league, so the push got no traction and things continued on as normal around the NKYFL.

Fast forward to the late-00s, and there are now a handful of middle schools around Northern Kentucky that have started a developmental middle school football league around NKY. Cov Cath parents get wind of that, and with the help of new Coach Dave Brossart, Covington Catholic starts up their new Colonel Youth Football team to compete in the middle school league. Interest is so strong that immediately Cov Cath has so many players signed up that they are actually fielding a two teams...one of all 7th graders, and one of all 8th graders. Both CYF teams are competing in the middle school league's 7th/8th grade combined division, and instantly the Spartans and Raiders see their senior division numbers take a steep plunge.

CYF maintained multiple scheduled games every year against youth teams in Cincinnati's GCYL, and were eventually invited by the GCYL to become a full member in their league...which would allow CYF to expand to compete in divisions designed for players from 3rd through 8th grade. So now CYF is going to be drawing players away from NKYFL teams all the way from midget up to senior divisions.

NKYFL's solution? If you can't beat 'em...fine your teams for scrimmaging 'em.

I can buy all of this post except the bold. I don't believe there were players who didn't get to play because they might go to CCH or New Cath. In the years I was around the NKYFL I saw coaches who wanted to win above all else and they would play the best kids to get that win. Where those kids might go to high school would not keep them off the field.

To the question at hand on the fine, that sounds like NKYFL stuff. I know teams in the past scrimmaged Boone County youth football teams and no one seemed to care about that. This sounds like petty politics and an attempt to control the fiefdom.

My son is on the fourth/5th grade level in Ft Thomas Youth. The league president and our coach both said we would play some teams from the NKYFL so we wouldn't have to play each team in our league more than twice potentially. But also said those games wouldn't count towards league standings.

I believe what's hurting the NKYFL is more highschools trying to start their own version of what Highlands has going

I can buy all of this post except the bold. I don't believe there were players who didn't get to play because they might go to CCH or New Cath. In the years I was around the NKYFL I saw coaches who wanted to win above all else and they would play the best kids to get that win. Where those kids might go to high school would not keep them off the field.

To the question at hand on the fine, that sounds like NKYFL stuff. I know teams in the past scrimmaged Boone County youth football teams and no one seemed to care about that. This sounds like petty politics and an attempt to control the fiefdom.

I was very intentional to use the word "perceive" when I typed that up. I didn't mean there was an ACTUAL disparity in playing time, but sometimes perception is everything.

I was very intentional to use the word "perceive" when I typed that up. I didn't mean there was an ACTUAL disparity in playing time, but sometimes perception is everything.

Gotcha. When it comes to playing time, there are people (especially parents) who perceive inequality and injustice on every level at virtually every game in every sport.

Start from the beginning.

Nkyfl is territory based for 60 years.

Start a new program talk to the people who represent the 60 years. If you don't come talk to them and you do not want to follow guidelines. Then you are free to play anywhere you choose. Just like the Nkyfl can choose who to schedule or not schedule.

If Cov Cath wants to play teams in the Nkyfl then join the league.

There is no $1,000 fine.

Start from the beginning.

Nkyfl is territory based for 60 years.

Start a new program talk to the people who represent the 60 years. If you don't come talk to them and you do not want to follow guidelines. Then you are free to play anywhere you choose. Just like the Nkyfl can choose who to schedule or not schedule.

If Cov Cath wants to play teams in the Nkyfl then join the league.

There is no $1,000 fine.

Thanks for the information @JDOMAX

I have one question for you, how much is the fine for playing Covington Catholic?