How long until Boone County "Rebels" are forced to change their mascot?

brooksville

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun Fact: Highlands nickname was "the Devils" until the 1920s, when the sports teams were renamed "the Bluebirds" due to public outrage from local churches concerning the use of "Devils."

The nickname rolled right down into the river valley to Dayton.

To answer the question of the opening post, it's slowly starting:

New 'Rebels' logo replaces Confederate mascot at Boone Co. High School

For those that don't feel like clicking the thread, they are keeping the nickname of Rebels and don't have any plans of changing that. However, they are phasing out the image of Mr. Rebel.

Makes me think of Mr. Dethridge (spelling), who donned the uniform/costume for many of the "big games" we had while I was in school year. As an athlete, it might sound goofy, but it brought a sense of pride when he showed up at some of our basketball games and soccer games.

To answer the question of the opening post, it's slowly starting:

New 'Rebels' logo replaces Confederate mascot at Boone Co. High School

For those that don't feel like clicking the thread, they are keeping the nickname of Rebels and don't have any plans of changing that. However, they are phasing out the image of Mr. Rebel.

Makes me think of Mr. Dethridge (spelling), who donned the uniform/costume for many of the "big games" we had while I was in school year. As an athlete, it might sound goofy, but it brought a sense of pride when he showed up at some of our basketball games and soccer games.

I bet your black teammates loved it.

I bet your black teammates loved it.

Yeah, I'd say they had the same sentiments at the time. When I was in school, no one seemed to really think about Mr. Rebel as having any connection at all to confederates.

Probably one of those, "you don't know you should be outraged about it until someone tells you".