What's the deal at Waggener?

All Tell

Two of Jason Frakes top prospects on their defense, I believe there's talent on their offense. Yet the bet blown out right off the bat.

Do either Rice or Brents play any offense?

I know they've had good players recently but the results don't show it.

What's the issue?

Brents is playing quarterback this season and everything is centered around him. He isn't a great passer, and from the looks of things against LCA, they were trying to throw it deep too often. Brents was quick to tuck and run (his talent allows for that), but in part it was because their offensive line was getting beat all night.

Defensively they are talented. After an awful first defensive series they made some adjustments and looked much better. In the second half, LCA went into ball-control mode and wore Waggener down. There isn't much depth (I counted 30 players), it was very warm, and I'm guessing they ran out of gas.

I don't want to criticize coaches but I didn't really understand their offensive or defensive schemes. It looked like they were relying on talent to beat people, which works against bad teams but not against top caliber opponents. They still have games with Boyle, Danville, and Central this season!

I will try to answer the best I can, I am Coach Johnson HC at Waggener. It is coaching, I always believe It is coaching, because as soon as we blame the players we relinquish our ability to improve.

We have the best young men at Waggener and there is nowhere I would rather be.

We have some holes, we lack numbers and experience. We start 2 sophomores and a freshman on our offensive line. We start 6 defenders who have never played in a varsity game. 2 of them seniors who it is there first year playing football in high school.

Our young men are remarkable and battle life more on a daily basis then many high schoolers do in a weeks time. Nonetheless, they continue to fight and will continue to fight.

I do not make excuses for our shortcomings, it is the hand we have been dealt and we embrace it. We will continue to improve like we have over the last 2.5 years.

I will try to answer the best I can, I am Coach Johnson HC at Waggener. It is coaching, I always believe It is coaching, because as soon as we blame the players we relinquish our ability to improve.

We have some holes, we lack numbers and experience. We start 2 sophomores and a freshman on our offensive line. We start 6 defenders who have never played in a varsity game. 2 of them seniors who it is there first year playing football in high school.

Our young men are remarkable and battle life more on a daily basis then many high schoolers do in a weeks time. Nonetheless, they continue to fight and will continue to fight.

I do not make excuses for our shortcomings, it is the hand we have been dealt and we embrace it. We will continue to improve like we have over the last 2.5 years.

We salute you, Coach. May you continue to see improvement throughout the year.

It's a darn shame Coach Johnson has to come on here and defend himself and his program because people think Waggener should be a state-championship contender by virtue of having two D1 prospects.

Back-to-back 6-5 seasons is a darn-near miracle for that program when you consider where it was before Coach Johnson took over.

It's a darn shame Coach Johnson has to come on here and defend himself and his program because people think Waggener should be a state-championship contender by virtue of having two D1 prospects.

Back-to-back 6-5 seasons is a darn-near miracle for that program when you consider where it was before Coach Johnson took over.

Indeed. Takes guts for him to come on here. When's the last time Waggener had this much talent? When Alfonso Smith played there? They didn't go very far then either. Coach Johnson is trying to build it up, and I admire him working so hard given the obstacles. One or two players don't establish a program.

This is what I was trying to get at in my original post. The talent is there, just not the numbers. The youth on the offensive line explains their struggles with LCA. I liked what the defense did after the first drive. With so many new kids on offense it is no wonder the plays looked out of whack at times. I salute you for posting as you've done and look forward to seeing the improvement as the year goes on.

Coach Johnson, keep doing what you are doing. I can appreciate the work you have put in knowing the barriers you face daily. As you can imagine, I have caught this same heat and I have learned that D1 talented kids do not guarantee wins. Yes, they are talented, but it takes 11 kids on the field operating as one. These kids may make an amazing play that gives you a glimpse of their special ability, but they will not catch every pass, make every tackle and win the game because they are out there. I admire your work and enjoy watching your progress. Kudos to you

One of the best coaches in the state saw the LCA game and said "your boy is doing a great job at Waggener." Jordan played for me at Mason.

This same coach said the kids play extremely hard for Jordan. He said they are low in numbers & got tired.

Waggener is on the radar right now because of Jordan Johnson, his ability as a coach, and how much he loves his kids.

The issue with Waggener.... they are building and making big strides.

You are doing a great job, the most important part of your statement and the hardest for a lot of people to grasp is the as you said "battle in their daily life". A lot of these kids come from a pretty tough part of Louisville and the real battle for them is just getting to school and getting thru life.

From what I have seen and heard, you, Coach Johnson, are helping theses kids not only with learning the game of football, but the game of life, and for most of them, that is what they will remember most. Keep up the great work, I know Waggener will improve, because you have a team of real life fighters. Best of luck!:thumb:

Thanks for willingness to come forward and state your thoughts on the matter. And, from what you posted, I'd say it's anything but the coaching. I think the young men are in good hands at Waggener. Keep working.