50 Years Of Covington Catholic Football

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so very much, Guru!

These attachments are from the CovCath "Contact" the newspaper of Covington Catholic and were the 1st edition (September) of the new school year of 1967-1968

If you right click on the attachment and then open in a new tab, they are so very much easier to read. The article was written by Jack Bogaczyk who was later the manager of the UK Basketball Team. Jack then went on become a member of the Vir Sports Writers Hall of Fame.

The 1st attachment

Shows the team member of that 1st CovCath team.

The 2nd attachment

Shows some of the schedules of the local teams in the area, including the Dixie Heights Little Colonels.

The last attachment show the newest Cheer of year 1967 for CovCath@ :-) and some fun stuff from back in the day.

I'm pretty sure the Dickenson System was replaced as the determining factor for playoff teams when the number of classes was increased from 3 to 4...in the 1975 season. Only the district champion...by district record (& tie-breakers) was used.

It was my second season as play-by-play man. I remember hearing my predecessor talk about the "system," but never had to learn its incredibly complicated ramifications.

Dickinson system was used throughout the 70's to break ties and if neither team played each other.

1976 Somerset won the District on the Dickinson points system over Boyle because each had the same District record and didn't play.

Reverse happened in 1977 and Boyle went to the playoffs instead of Somerset.

This is a great thread. My Dad's first Boyle team was in 1969. They upset Danville who opened the season against CovCath in the Rec Bowl. Boyle did not win a game in 67 & 68. Crazy to think they beat a team that played Cov Cath in the Rec Bowl.

Alot of history/tradition & pride in what the Colonels have built. Very impressive and good luck to Coach Eviston & the Colonels in 2017!

Lynn Ray2.jpg

LYNN RAY

1975 - 2004

234-132 (63.9 Winning %)

Coach Ray took over as the 5th head football coach at Cov Cath at 28 years old, after having coached as an assistant at Bryan Station High School, Lloyd Memorial High School, and at Covington Catholic. In his first season, the Colonels had a mere 27 players go out for the football team.

In his 30 years as head coach of the Colonels football team, Coach Ray led the team to its first 5 state titles ('87, '88, '93, '94 and '97). To date, he has also served as head football coach at Covington Catholic for more games than all other Cov Cath head coaches combined. Coach Ray retired as head coach following the 2004 season, and is currently a member of the assistant coaching staff under Head Coach Eddie Eviston.

God bless you CLR - thanks for everything!

Love it. I don't know about how it was prior to my days at Cov Cath, but I'd pretty well guarantee that the number of students/players at the who knew about the C while I was going there was in the single digits.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

The KHSAA website says that in 2004 Highlands had to forfeit both regular season and playoff wins over Coach Ray's last CovCath team...and their first four playoff games altogether. However Highlands' 22-6 win over Boyle County in the championship still shows.

I don't remember that story.

The KHSAA website says that in 2004 Highlands had to forfeit both regular season and playoff wins over Coach Ray's last CovCath team...and their first four playoff games altogether. However Highlands' 22-6 win over Boyle County in the championship still shows.

I don't remember that story.

See: Mike Mitchell

There was a lot of discussion here on BGP revolving around that particular storyline in the history of the Cov Cath/Highlands rivalry. There are a lot of folks who still have their noses all out of joint over that one as well. Not intending to snub you on your post, but in the interest of not derailing this thread, go ahead and start another thread about the topic or spend a little time using the search feature here on the site if you want to learn more about that.

On the subject of Lynn Ray...not everyone always realizes how much of an athlete Coach Ray was in his own day.

He was actually a three-sport star at Boone County High School - starting at quarterback on the football team, a starting pitcher on the baseball team, and starting forward on the basketball team. His senior class also voted him the BCHS Most Valuable Athlete for 1964.

Additionally he played college football for the Eastern Kentucky University.

Lynn Ray 1964 Football-5.jpg