• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred Bernier2.jpg

FRED BERNIER

1973 - 1974

8-11 (42.1 Winning %)

Coach Bernier was hired by Covington Catholic in 1973 as their 4th head football coach, coming from Ohio's Miami Trace High School after having served as the Panthers' head coach. He had previously been an assistant coach at Lloyd Memorial High School, as well as an assistant at Mt. Healthy High School under famed high school coach Owen Hauck. Coach Bernier led the Colonels to a 3-6 record in 1973 and a 5-5 record in 1974 before leaving to take an assistant coaching position at Boone County High School (once again with Owen Hauck), and then as head coach at Bellevue High School.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Good stuff. It wouldn't be until 1979 that the Dickinson system was done away with, however as districts became smaller it forced teams to play each other to meet the game requirements. Funny that the same recruiting complaints (almost word for word) come up even today.

I'm pretty sure the Dickenson System was replaced as the determining factor for playoff teams when the number of classes was increased from 3 to 4...in the 1975 season. Only the district champion...by district record (& tie-breakers) was used.

It was my second season as play-by-play man. I remember hearing my predecessor talk about the "system," but never had to learn its incredibly complicated ramifications.

I'm pretty sure the Dickenson System was replaced as the determining factor for playoff teams when the number of classes was increased from 3 to 4...in the 1975 season. Only the district champion...by district record (& tie-breakers) was used.

It was my second season as play-by-play man. I remember hearing my predecessor talk about the "system," but never had to learn its incredibly complicated ramifications.

Not necessarily. For example, in Class AAA, Region II, District 1 in 1977 (northern Kentucky district), the standings were as follows:

1. Highlands (3-1)

2. Newport Catholic (4-1)

3. Lloyd Memorial (3-2)

4. Newport (3-2)

5. Conner (1-3)

6. Covington Catholic (0-5)

Highlands and Conner did not play that season. Highlands was declared champion by virtue of knocking off Newport Catholic (they both had one loss). There are numerous other examples of teams not playing complete district schedules. It may not have been the Dickinson System, but it is clear there was no mandate to play all of your district opponents. It isn't until 1979 that I have definite proof through standings that all district (or sub-district if that is the case) opponents played each other during the regular season.

Could @Hatz or @Jumper_Dad contribute to this? I seem to recall a Boyle/Somerset discussion on this same issue a few years back.

Not necessarily. For example, in Class AAA, Region II, District 1 in 1977 (northern Kentucky district), the standings were as follows:

1. Highlands (3-1)

2. Newport Catholic (4-1)

3. Lloyd Memorial (3-2)

4. Newport (3-2)

5. Conner (1-3)

6. Covington Catholic (0-5)

Highlands and Conner did not play that season. Highlands was declared champion by virtue of knocking off Newport Catholic (they both had one loss). There are numerous other examples of teams not playing complete district schedules. It may not have been the Dickinson System, but it is clear there was no mandate to play all of your district opponents. It isn't until 1979 that I have definite proof through standings that all district (or sub-district if that is the case) opponents played each other during the regular season.

Could @Hatz or @Jumper_Dad contribute to this? I seem to recall a Boyle/Somerset discussion on this same issue a few years back.

Back in the old one team only days (1982 I believe), Somerset had probably thier best team. They lost one game, a mistake prone game at Boyle County by going for 2 and the win at the very end of the game and getting stuffed on the QB sneak (worst play call in the HISTORY of Kentucky HS football). Finished the season with only that one point loss, including a clubbing of eventual State Champ Corbin @ Corbin.

That one game cemented why I'll never be in favor of less than two teams per district making the playoffs. But as many know I am a strong proponent of keeping it at 4 teams.