Simon Kenton at Holmes predictions

SK was running a unique defense for dixie with a little cover zero mixed into it. They got burned once or twice with it, but o well, I'm not going to question coach Herbst's decisions because he really knows what he's doing.

It seemed odd that they would leave the corners without help against a team that likes to go deep and likes the quick slants. The one DB was really having a rough day and could have used some help.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seemed odd that they would leave the corners without help against a team that likes to go deep and likes the quick slants. The one DB was really having a rough day and could have used some help.

You're probably talking about Bryant Mitchell. I don't know exactly what happened to him because he is a great corner. Seriously, you wouldn't know if from the plays he gave up to Dixie, but if you saw him on a consistent basis you would understand. The biggest knock on him has to be his hands. He could honestly have close to double didget INT's but he has stones where his hands should be. Look for him to come up big the rest of the year.

You make a great point about Mitchell, he's a quality cover corner but I've yet to see him pick one off, gets a ton of knock downs but doesn't seem to have great hands. I thought SK had the advantage in OT since our weakness seems to be the deep ball but I worried about the slants, and it the end the slant won the game for DH.

I don't think it will be a "blowout" this week but I'd be suprised if SK lost to Holmes but a 14 point win is my prediction.

Holmes' passing game is not as good as last year without Hill.

SK's pass defense is better than last year.

Holmes won't be able to stop SK's running game.

Once SK gets a lead they like to pound you with their running game.

SK has more speed than they have had in recent years.

All this adds up to SK winning big.

I just think he made a bad decision in going man coverage with no over the top help.... SK returns everyone on offense including one of the best power running games along with an upgrade at slot and wideout, but their defense is almost an entirely new cast... I don't think that any aspect of their defense is better this year than it was last year, if Dixie makes a few catches and a few balls are thrown a little more accurate they could have scored 40 in regulation

Thanks neerfan... The SK team this year is the exact opposite of the team from last year: this years team is led by their offense and have to worry about their defense, last years team was led by the defense and had to worry about the offense

This is exactly why I think this will be a high scoring game. As i said before, Sk's defense won't be able to control Holmes speed. But then again SK is going to pound Holmes all night on the ground. IMO field position will play the biggest role. Whichever team wins that is going to win the ball game.

One thing's for sure. I wouldn't kick the ball to Holmes. Ryle found out why the hard way as has many many other teams this year. (SL, HC, PC, Ryle). Conner is the only team who hasn't allowed the Dawgs to return a kickoff or punt.

This is exactly why I think this will be a high scoring game. As i said before, Sk's defense won't be able to control Holmes speed. But then again SK is going to pound Holmes all night on the ground. IMO field position will play the biggest role. Whichever team wins that is going to win the ball game.

One thing's for sure. I wouldn't kick the ball to Holmes. Ryle found out why the hard way as has many many other teams this year. (SL, HC, PC, Ryle). Conner is the only team who hasn't allowed the Dawgs to return a kickoff or punt.

I think Holmes's offense is very overrated. They beat two bad teams in South Laurel and Pendleton County and were able to run up their stats.

They did OK against Holy Cross.

But against Conner and Ryle they were shut down. I think I read on here they only got 5 first downs the entire game versus Ryle and didn't produce many more than that against Conner.

They had more speed than Conner and still struggled, and Conner this year is not real good. Ryle seemingly just abused them.

Holmes cannot or will not pass the ball. There is no balance to their offense it seems. SK on the other hand is very balanced, plus they have a bruising running game.

Barring a lot of turnovers from the SK side, I think they win this one rather handily.