The airlines just don't get it do they?

All Tell

In all fairness, if the person ticketed for that seat does not check in, it is on that person. The airline should be able to give that seat to a standby passenger.

The guy in the video said that he paid for the seat (true). He should be able to use it for his other child (not true). They originally meant for the infant to be an "infant in arms" passenger, but mistakenly thought they could use the seat the originally meant for another child who did not end up flying with them.

That being said, the airlines certainly could have handled its end better. Basically threatening to send both parents to federal prison was probably not the way to go. Nor is lying about the car seat rule.

Personally, I could never understand why it is unsafe to take off with a soft drink in your hands, but it is ok to fly with a baby in your arms. I think infants should have to be buckled in just as they do in a car.

But someone did check-in with the ticket, and they were allowed to board the plane by gate personnel.

I understand that you aren't allowed to just change who's using a ticket but some of that has to be on the people at the gate who allowed the family to enter.

The person who talked to the man needs at best to take an extended course in customer service and at worst should be reassigned or fired.

But someone did check-in with the ticket, and they were allowed to board the plane by gate personnel.

I understand that you aren't allowed to just change who's using a ticket but some of that has to be on the people at the gate who allowed the family to enter.

The person who talked to the man needs at best to take an extended course in customer service and at worst should be reassigned or fired.

I would like to hear clarification on what exactly went on at the gate. If the gate agent ok'd it, as the family says, then it should be on Delta. If the family didn't use a ticket to check in, and just assumed that seat would be theirs no matter what, then it is on them. Where did they think that child was going to sit if their other child had used his ticket? I bet they were trying to get away with keeping the child as a lap child.

I had the impression from watching the video the dad assumed that because he bought a ticket for that seat, he was his to use now matter what. That is not true.

I am not sure we ever know the full story in these things. The lovely lady and I were discussing this last night. She flies weekly, me periodically. Although a few years ago I flow 2 times a month.

Anyway I said if I bought three seats with the intent of only she and I using them for comfort sakes, that would be ok. She said it wouldn't be. The fine print says you can't, in so many words, if they want to use the seat.

I have a big problem with that. I paid for it I should be able to use as I please as long as I don't give it to someone else or not follow their rules, etc.. Again, if I am on a red eye from Seattle and I want to buy three seats so I can lay down across them, I should be allowed.

I have no clue if I paid for it (them) why they aren't mine for that flight or the reasoning behind it other than overbooking.