Kurt Barber Allegedly Under Investigation at Paducah Tilghman - Conflicting Info

Toothpick

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been keeping up with this thread since it started ... I can tell some want the man fired and some are in his corner ... Scenario for ya , this unruly student is not restrained by coach and he goes on to assault another student or faculty member or worst takes someone's life and we find out that coach wouldn't step in for fear of losing his job , then everyone would be damning him for not stopping the situation ... Kind of a lose / lose situation for him ... As far as I am concerned he did what he had to do to stop the situation before it got worse ... And if the school is in favor of firing him because of the fear of being sued , then it's not the place to be anyway ... Keep in mind the unruly student is not the victim here it sounds like ...

What happened to the days when you got "out of line" at school and a teacher had to put you back "into place" and it wasn't big news?

I remember my sophomore year up on the "hill", I got a little "flippant" with a teacher, I was promptly slammed up against a locker and was told to watch my mouth. I didn't tell my parents when I got home because I knew I would get a "tongue lashing" from them as well, if not more.

Brother Richard was a bad hombre. :lol2:

What happened to the days when you got "out of line" at school and a teacher had to put you back "into place" and it wasn't big news?

I remember my sophomore year up on the "hill", I got a little "flippant" with a teacher, I was promptly slammed up against a locker and was told to watch my mouth. I didn't tell my parents when I got home because I knew I would get a "tongue lashing" from them as well, if not more.

Brother Richard was a bad hombre. :lol2:

:thumb::thumb:

But LB everyone's a little touchy nowadays, everyone is special, you can't tell a kid to stop, no, get out of my class, etc,............now where's my trophy!

(I'm sure some are going to hammer me for posting this....too bad.)

:thumb::thumb:

But LB everyone's a little touchy nowadays, everyone is special, you can't tell a kid to stop, no, get out of my class, etc,............now where's my trophy!

(I'm sure some are going to hammer me for posting this....too bad.)

I'm not going to hammer you, but I am going to tell you that you are wrong. I've been a public school teacher for twenty one years. I certainly can tell kids to stop, I can tell them no and I can remove them from my classroom. What I do not do is yell at my students, nor have I ever felt disappointed that I couldn't physically assault a student. I can usually get students to do what I need them to.

As per this situation, I have no judgment on what may have occurred. There doesn't seem to be many facts out in this situation.

I don't have a horse in this race and I won't pretend to know the details, but I will say that some 'students' and 'kids' are physically grown men that can pose very serious dangers to their peers if allowed to go unrestrained. If my daughter was in harm's way (just as an example, in no way saying that's what happened here) I would want a teacher to intervene even he had to get 'hands on' to do so.

I'm not going to hammer you, but I am going to tell you that you are wrong. I've been a public school teacher for twenty one years. I certainly can tell kids to stop, I can tell them no and I can remove them from my classroom. What I do not do is yell at my students, nor have I ever felt disappointed that I couldn't physically assault a student. I can usually get students to do what I need them to.

As per this situation, I have no judgment on what may have occurred. There doesn't seem to be many facts out in this situation.

I have family in the teaching profession and I know what I'm told. Glad you don't have any problems however that's not what I hear from acquaintances that are educators, sorry. We'll just have to disagree on this one.

What are we disagreeing on, exactly?

Well you stated I was wrong in my original post, however I was just reiterating what I've seen and heard from family and acquaintances in the education field. It read like a disagreement to me, that's OK.

Have a friend in her first year of teaching that left the profession. Became totally dismayed because she broke up a girl fight, and spent 4 days in the hospital because of injuries she sustained. Good news was she didn't get in trouble, because she didn't lay a hand on either girl. Couldn't because she was unconscious on the hallway floor.

Sadly this entire situation is a result of cowardliness! Somewhere in the past few years, (I suspect its a result of fast tracking a lot of greenies from the classroom to the front office, and now from the front office to the board office) educators have lost their advocates and protection from the administration! These spineless politicians forgot a key rule in life, people only have a voice if you give them an ear to listen. Admin has forgotten the KRS (the law) is on their side, and because of this this omission they kowtow to every angry parent, most of which couldn't submit their complaints in writing nor could they sign it.

When the admin is fearful and places being popular over being right, empowering parents and children who are wrong, and sadly giving them a voice when they should be silence or ignored, we get the turd pile sandwich we have today.

Lord help us.

I am a former teacher, former administrator who left the field to pursue other ventures. When I was working on my admin certification, a dear mentor Dr. Dick Flynn always said....if you're not getting sued, you're not doing your job right. BOE's pay retainers for a reason!!!!!