Kurt Barber Allegedly Under Investigation at Paducah Tilghman - Conflicting Info

Toothpick

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a link to what has been posted on WKY Star

West Kentucky Star - News

This is what appears at that link:

PADUCAH, KY - A student had to be restrained Friday at Paducah Tilghman High School during a physical altercation.

PTHS Principal Art Davis says the student had to be restrained by a faculty member during the incident to prevent injury. He said the incident lasted for about five minutes, and that no one was seriously hurt.

Davis said administrators have reviewed camera footage of the incident, and that the restraint was found to be justified. He wouldn't comment about any disciplinary measures being taken against the student.

And we can draw a lot from that. Five minutes!!!??? WoW

The article says restrained, I heard it was more than that - allegedly - I guess we will see.

And justified, WoW that was a quick investigation.

In other words people, they ain't telling the whole truth, move on, there is nothing to see here, Government cover-up as normal...

Proper and completely legal restraints that are Safe Crisis Management happen all over. I'm hoping it was just that. From the sounds of it; that's all it was.

Anytime a student is deemed a danger (cause harm) to 1) themselves 2) others 3) school property then these are perfectly legal to enforce.

Proper and completely legal restraints that are Safe Crisis Management happen all over. I'm hoping it was just that. From the sounds of it; that's all it was.

Anytime a student is deemed a danger (cause harm) to 1) themselves 2) others 3) school property then these are perfectly legal to enforce.

Out of curiosity, is there ever a time where it is acceptable for a Teacher to strike a Student?

In my opinion there definitely is, but I am asking what the "rules" say about that?

Out of curiosity, is there ever a time where it is acceptable for a Teacher to strike a Student?

In my opinion there definitely is, but I am asking what the "rules" say about that?

The Safe Crisis Management end of using physical restraint isn't striking a student; in laymen's terms it's legal "moves" if you will used to restrain a student if they are in dangers of injuring themselves, other students/staff and-or school property. The whole realm of SCM is prevention, non physical, physical & post incident therapy counseling you could say.

Throwing a chair, computer in a room full of students (or maybe throwing a chair, grabbing a computer and throwing it across the room in a room with just one or two teachers that are trying to diffuse the situation which is also under the SCM umbrella)? Check.

Fighting another student? Check.

Hitting themselves (yes, this happens)? Trying to break out a window (yes, this happens as well)? Check.

I could list a myriad of examples, but you get the idea G.

Edited by Harry Doyle

Self defense? I would think that would be acceptable but hard to prove in today's time.

If it is not true, it is not true.

If more turns up, someone please start another thread.

And for everyone "BS" unless you are referring to Bryan Station, is a violation of the word filter. I am going to leave the violation in this thread for everyone to see but please everyone don't do it in the future.

Have been rejected postings of abbreviation for assistant coaches numerous times. These old fingers get tired and never understood why the accepted abbreviation including apostrophe would violate the word filter. Especially in a sports/team thread.

Do Superintendents still have the authority to fire? Knew the SBC's did the hiring, but this old-timer is out of touch since the Supts have lost a lot of their authorities/influence/power/responsibility (whatever it was called).

They might not come right out and do it like the old days, but supts still hire and fire behind the scenes.

Crisis management/CPI crisis prevention intervention, are taught and usually followed with a certification. However, anyone ever try to breakup a female altercation? Lol you can throw that training out the window! As far as coach Barber is concerned, I believe he's in tough situation as well as any other larger statue coaches. When you're 6'4 6'5 strong as an ox and you grab a student, it's a little different than my Home Economics teacher weighing in at a smooth 135lbs. It's tough, I mean it takes a lot not to do the job that some of these parents aren't doing when little Johnny is power cussing you while causing harm to others. Just my two cents.