Is the Scott County loss to Elder a Moral Victory?

theguru

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It definitely is a moral victory. Scott Co may not verbalize it that way, but I guarantee you they appreciate the significance of playing Elder that close and are taking positive things away from it.

Of course they do. I don't care if Elder is "down" or not. They're still a GCL power.

I do not believe in moral victories for any 6A program that is a former state champion.

Hard to argue with this too...but none the less, a loss to even a "down Elder" as some suggest is a better loss and is better preparation for teams like T and Male than beating a really bad KY team and gaining a real false sense of accomplishment. The only thing better for the this SC team would have to have been to had played them at the PIT... :thumb:

I chuckle at "there's no such thing as a moral victory."

Of course there is. It's human nature.

Bravado gets in the way of a solid achievement way too often.

Yeah, this is where I'm going to lean with this one. Everybody prefers to win, obviously, but while it doesn't measure out any differently, this is a loss you can for sure build from.

And, you can frequently learn a whole lot more from a loss than a win.

I'm sure the Scott Co. kids would have rather had a win, but, this isn't a loss they should be down about.

The only team that gets a moral victory is a team that lacks confidence and/or doesn't believe in themselves. A moral victory means you didn't believe in yourself but you played well enough that you now have more confidence and believe in yourself more. Does Scott County lack confidence? Did they go into the Elder game thinking no way they were good enough to win.? If they left that game with more confidence and belief in themselves, then it was a moral victory.

I chuckle at "there's no such thing as a moral victory."

Of course there is. It's human nature.

Bravado gets in the way of a solid achievement way too often.

I concur. The general rule of thumb is if you are asking the question, "was this a moral victory?", that typically means there is something very positive you can take from a game.