NEKY Sports Blog

Cubster

I attended two events I had never experienced before over the weekend. I attended a movie in a cave and a night cross country meet. Carter Caves, a hidden gem right in our backyard, showed “The Jungle Book” in Cascade Caves. I highly recommend it for a night of family fun. The night cross country meet was held at Cabell Midland High School. It attracted hundreds of runners and was a unique opportunity for the runners from various schools. Over the past four years I have gained a real appreciation for these well-conditioned athletes. In a sport that is often underappreciated, these kids are as dedicated as any I have encountered in my 24 years of being involved in high school athletics. My son is lucky to be a part of one of the best programs in the area led by Crystal and Chuck Cantrell. Off my soapbox and on to what happened this past week in the sports world.

The Russell defense continues to make PV look like a prophet. Maxx Blackburn led a swarming Russell defense that held another opponent to just six points. The offense did just enough to secure the Devils win over struggling Ironton. It marked the first time the Devils have won two games in a row in the series since 1932. The Devils will now face another team coming off a lopsided defeat. Ashland was pasted 49-6 by George Washington last Friday and the return of Kurtlen Brown is definitely needed for this young squad. Greenup County probably got the biggest win in the area by pulling victory from the jaws of defeat in Lloyd Friday night. Fleming County stormed back from a 24-0 deficit with 30 unanswered points to take the lead late in the game. Insert Jake Wright. The dynamic senior raced 90 yards for a kickoff return TD and with the extra point the Musketeers improved to 2-1. I feel this win could be season changer as this program has lost so many gut-wrenching games in the past two years. Boyd County and Fairview have been pleasant surprises in the first three weeks of the season. Christian Braly has burst on the scene with his electrifying running in leading the Lions to a 3-0 start. Many thought the boys from Westwood would be reeling from the loss of Alex Roy and Antwan Washington. Seniors Mason McIntyre and Jonathan Ruggles obviously felt differently as these two playmakers have been instrumental in the Eagles’ 2-1 start. PV will preview Rivalry Week Thursday as Russell travels to Ashland and Raceland visits Greenup County in the inaugural Iron Bowl.

A couple of college football assistant coaches are probably still beaming from beating their old employers Saturday. Former UK offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson put on a coaching clinic as Southern Miss erased a 35-10 deficit to defeat the Cats 44-35. It was a total collapse by the Kentucky team and has the even the most faithful UK football fan on the verge of throwing in the towel. I still think with their home schedule they can salvage the season, but if the defense can’t stop the run a losing season is inevitable. Former USC coach Lane Kiffin definitely enjoyed the Crimson Tide’s 52-6 smashing of his former employer. Alabama is definitely the best team in the country and will be until someone can knock them off. A few supposed title contenders (Oklahoma, LSU, Notre Dame) took losses over the weekend. I look for Ohio State and Michigan to make jumps in the polls this week along with the Houston Cougars who continue to get better and better under former Ohio State OC Tom Herman. A huge matchup between Florida State and Ole Miss will end a great opening weekend of college football tonight. The SEC definitely could use another marquee win to end Week 1.

Enjoy your day off!!!!

#PearlVision

Posted on September 5, 2016

Leave a comment on The Week That Was 8/29-9/4

Check out the blog at pearlvisionblog.wordpress.com