Another police officer shot and killed

All Tell

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I'm not for lighting up a building every time a service man/woman loses their life in the line of duty. I'm not for lowering the flag to half mast every time either. There are plenty of ways to show respect without doing that every single time. That doesn't diminish the tragedies or lessen their importance. By doing it all the time' date=' it would cheapen it, IMO. Nobody cared about doing it for everything until this Presidency. Like I said, people are looking for reasons to be mad.[/quote']

I would say people are looking for leadership and direction. With all you have said thus far, do you think it should have been lit up for gay rights and Prince, if you don't think it should be for police? I could understand if you're against lighting in general.

New found concern, I'm sure.

With the way that police have been targeted, ambushed and attacked recently, of course it is a new found concern. Why wouldn't he light up the White House to honor the fallen police officers? Is there any reason given?

It was lit up for Breast Cancer Awareness in 2013, and then for the whole gay rights thing whenever that was. Other than that, I cant find any other instance, which would then explain why people haven't brought it up until this presidency.

Again, looking for something to be mad about that. Everyone is different in what upsets them though.

Again, looking for something to be mad about that. Everyone is different in what upsets them though.

I'm not really sure what you got from that post about people being mad about it? I just explained why it hadn't been brought up until this presidency.

I would say people are looking for leadership and direction. With all you have said thus far, do you think it should have been lit up for gay rights and Prince, if you don't think it should be for police? I could understand if you're against lighting in general.

It wasn't lit for Prince.

I don't think it should be lit for anything, maybe outside of the 4th of July.

Once you light it for one thing, then you have people clamoring for it to be lit for what they want it lit for.

At the end of the day, getting upset about what the White House is or isn't lit up for is silly, IMO.

I'm not sure how long the WH has had a lighting system that allows it to light up like it does now. The only two instances I could find were in 2013 for the Breast Cancer Awareness and for the SCOTUS ruling regarding gay rights.

The WH lowered the flag to half staff for the Dallas officers. That's the traditional way of honoring deaths.

New found concern, I'm sure.

Again it is "New Found" because until recently the White house was never lit to commemorate anything as far as I know. This isn't "New Found" because of the President is but because of the Presidents Actions.

Once any President does it, they will be looked upon to do it over and over...it was a bad precedent to light it for anything, IMO.

If other President's have done so (I don't recall any) I wouldn't have been in favor for it then either unless it was in the case of a National Tragedy.

It wasn't lit for Prince.

I don't think it should be lit for anything, maybe outside of the 4th of July.

Once you light it for one thing, then you have people clamoring for it to be lit for what they want it lit for.

At the end of the day, getting upset about what the White House is or isn't lit up for is silly, IMO.

As for the bolded, Barry let the cat out of the bag when he turned the White House into a rainbow. Should have never done that.

I agree on your last sentence. It is silly, but it just comes across like he doesn't feel like a fallen police officer, a person sworn to protect his community and makes numerous sacrifices the average person never has to even consider, yet has been increasingly targeted and attacked, should be honored in the same manner as gay rights were.

I agree on your last sentence. It is silly, but it just comes across like he doesn't feel like a fallen police officer, a person sworn to protect his community and makes numerous sacrifices the average person never has to even consider, yet has been increasingly targeted and attacked, should be honored in the same manner as gay rights were.

It comes across that way if that's how you choose to take it. If you change it for one officer, do you have to change it for every officer? Every fire fighter? That's not feasible.