19yr old White kid shot dead by police.

jericho

How many unarmed white kids have been killed unjustly by police over the past few years?

Taking one case and acting like it should receive the same attention as the black shootings is making a mockery of the problem - and it is a problem.

Statistics I've seen show that a police officer is 18x more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by police.

Any unjustified killing at the hands of police is bad and should be dealt with. But this non sense that police are slaughtering unarmed black men in the streets is not true.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Statistics I've seen show that a police officer is 18x more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by police.

Any unjustified killing at the hands of police is bad and should be dealt with. But this non sense that police are slaughtering unarmed black men in the streets is not true.

You are a great statistician. Can you please conjure up the statistical numbers and do a comparison for

-unarmed blacks killed by white police officers

-unarmed whites killed by black police officers

-armed blacks killed by white police officers

-armed whites killed by black police officers

-unarmed minorities (non black/white) killed by white police officers

-unarmed minorities (non black/white) killed by black police officers

By the way, if they say "18xs more likely", isn't that just a misleading assumption that can sway either way according to futuristic events?

You are a great statistician. Can you please conjure up the statistical numbers and do a comparison for

-unarmed blacks killed by white police officers

-unarmed whites killed by black police officers

-armed blacks killed by white police officers

-armed whites killed by black police officers

-unarmed minorities (non black/white) killed by white police officers

-unarmed minorities (non black/white) killed by black police officers

By the way, if they say "18xs more likely", isn't that just a misleading assumption that can sway either way according to futuristic events?

If you want to find the stats, you do the work.

BTW, the stat came from a book written by Heather MacDonald. If you are interested. I haven't read the book. Just saw the excerpt.

Blacks are 2.5 more likely than whites to be killed by the police. Stats from the link in post 15.

No one is saying the cops are slaughtering unarmed black men. People are saying it is happening too much in situations where things may not have needed to escalate to that point.

Blacks are 2.5 more likely than whites to be killed by the police. Stats from the link in post 15.

And over 40% of all cop killers are black.

There are a lot of problems and concerns regarding violence in this country. Bad police are a very small part of it.

I'll also add that when video enters into the equation everyone sees something different. Time and history have shown that no matter how bad the video looks more often than not the cops will not be charged. Given the history of our country I'd hope you understand why those images and perceived lack of justice from the court system play a large part in the skepticism from the black community.

I'll also add that a state trooper told my wife he was disturbed by the two most recent videos and that the cops in those videos were over the top and excessive. Even cops can't agree on what they see in these videos.

No one is saying the cops are slaughtering unarmed black men. People are saying it is happening too much in situations where things may not have needed to escalate to that point.

A lot of people are saying that. You aren't paying attention if you think no one is saying that. I'm not talking about people on here.

I'll also add that when video enters into the equation everyone sees something different. Time and history have shown that no matter how bad the video looks more often than not the cops will not be charged. Given the history of our country I'd hope you understand why those images and perceived lack of justice from the court system play a large part in the skepticism from the black community.

I'll also add that a state trooper told my wife he was disturbed by the two most recent videos and that the cops in those videos were over the top and excessive. Even cops can't agree on what they see in these videos.

Did you ask the trooper if he's seen a different video than everyone else in Minnesota? Because i haven't seen an actual video of the shooting.

Like I've said before, Im far more concerned by what happened in Minnesota but I'm willing to wait for facts and an investigation. Right now we know very little and Id think most people would have learned not to judge things too early after Ferguson.

A lot of people are saying that. You aren't paying attention if you think no one is saying that. I'm not talking about people on here.

All asinine noise. I pay attention to them as much as I pay attention to cats like that dude from Anderson County who was fired today or the folks that flood Facebook with their stupidity in the comment sections. I don't have time for that foolishness. All of the black on black crime in Chicago statements have become overused so much it is to the point it is insulting people's intelligence to even discuss anymore. Those statements are as foolish as statements like the cops are slaughtering unarmed black men. At the same time, it is hard for quite people to understand the emotions and mindset that black men go through when we watch videos like the two from last week. And then we have to discuss it. And then one of the hardcore crazies starts killing police officers. Sigh......

And most importantly at the end of the day all most intelligent, compassionate, emotional, frustrated, tired, stressed and confused black people truly want is for white people to simply say "we understand where you are coming from." We know things won't change overnight. We know there are deep rooted problems but we can't even get a lot of white people to simply say "we understand". Instead we get the other ills of our community thrown in our face and we are reminded over and over how "if we did this or acted like this or would do this" how things would be better. We are told Alton had a record so it's not like he was a productive citizen or anything. That's the tone we hear when these career criminals are dehumanized after their unfortunate deaths. No intelligent black person wants to see cops killed for any reason. Blacks want cops to serve and protect them also. But when cops get out of line (Rodney King) and get paid leave and are eventually not charged with any crimes surely people can see where the frustration from the black community with the police comes from.

Did you ask the trooper if he's seen a different video than everyone else in Minnesota? Because i haven't seen an actual video of the shooting.

Like I've said before, Im far more concerned by what happened in Minnesota but I'm willing to wait for facts and an investigation. Right now we know very little and Id think most people would have learned not to judge things too early after Ferguson.

He told it to my wife. I wasn't there. I have no clue what he saw. She relayed the conversation to me. I'm simply passing on what a state trooper told my wife in their conversation.

Saw an article in today's Maysville paper focusing on young black men and their mentors and how afraid they were to even meet a policeman (seems like I read that this was out of Philadelphia but not certain). First instincts - turn around, cross the street, run away.

Things are dreadfully amiss when this is the case. People aren't supposed to be afraid of the law.