The Five Best Young Head Coaches in KY High School Football

ATLCat

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what the actual answer is, but I'd be interested, based on your statement, to hear what you think the average age is of a first-year head football coach in Kentucky.

I would think that 30-34 somehwere in that range would be "young". And obviously anyone younger than 30. But I am with you I have no idea what the average age for first year head coaches is. I would like to know. Would also be interesting to know the average age of all head coaches.

IMO a "young" coach likely played college football and spent at least 3 - 4 years being an assistant somewhere. So my guess would be starting around 27-28 yrs old and if you have a criteria of 10 years history, then you probably need to include any coach less than 40 years old in the "young" category if they have multiple years of HC history.

• 2 weeks later...
One of my "Top Under the Radar" Guys is Josh Abell at Fern Creek.

Coach Abell only has 1 season under his belt (2015), but went 12 and 2 in that campaign. The losses were a 28-18 loss to Dupont Manual and a 21-0 road playoff semi-final loss to BG.

I was very impressed with Coach Abell's team last year. Yes, his sample size is even smaller than Coach Smith's at South Warren, but I offer the following as reason's I think Coach Adell will continue to do well:

1. Pete W the BGP person in the know stated that his kids bought into his system.

2. I am a big fan of defense first guys. They tend to make it deep into the playoffs.

3. They are a Louisville school in an area of Louisville with a good feeder system of athletes going there (good numbers).

4. They stepped into John Hardin's old spot in 5-A and I like them to take over that region for some time. Yes, they have to play tough teams in the late rounds, but everyone else does too!

He graduated from Manual in 2004 so he should be a very young 30-ish.

This will actually be Abell's 3rd season, he started in 2014 going 7-4 losing in 2nd round of the playoffs. His record is 19-6.

This will actually be Abell's 3rd season, he started in 2014 going 7-4 losing in 2nd round of the playoffs. His record is 19-6.

He's done a good job. It's nice to see Fern Creek having success again; I remember the mid-90s teams that were very good.

I don't know their ages but McKee at Scott County and Chirico at Paintsville have done some amazing things.

I'll be more impressed with McKee to see what he does after the Scott Co. split. Highest average of boys for a public school, and hasn't had to worry about any other high school in his county. All youth and three middle school systems feed right into the High School. I'd say to a high school coach that's gold.

I'll be more impressed with McKee to see what he does after the Scott Co. split. Highest average of boys for a public school, and hasn't had to worry about any other high school in his county. All youth and three middle school systems feed right into the High School. I'd say to a high school coach that's gold.

When is that new school supposed to be built and is there any sort of boundaries being established or will kids be able to choose which school they go to?

I would bet he would leave if the school splits.

I know what Scott County was like before Jim got there. I am already very impressed. But, he would be the first to tell you it is a great setup. Still, it takes a good coach to develop the program and have that kind of success over the long haul. Jim has done that.

Jim is a very good friend of mine. I am biased. But, I still think he is an outstanding football coach. Young.... No. Lol.

I know what Scott County was like before Jim got there. I am already very impressed. But, he would be the first to tell you it is a great setup. Still, it takes a good coach to develop the program and have that kind of success over the long haul. Jim has done that.

Jim is a very good friend of mine. I am biased. But, I still think he is an outstanding football coach. Young.... No. Lol.

I agree that it takes a good coach to be able to handle a school like that, and glad he finally got over the Public School 6A Title hump. I think he took that job in the mid 90s? Scott Co was probably a .500 (give or take)team before he got there but he just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Population has tripled in Georgetown since 1990, and doubled since 2000. How many schools have that luxury?

There's a reason he's been there almost 20 years, same for Hicks. They get talent in abundance.

I would bet he would leave if the school splits.

At worst, he should ring up his old assistant, Jamie Egli, and ask how that all school split stuff goes down from somebody who's experienced it. Although, given how Scott Co. abused Nelson Co. in the playoffs in 2010, Egli might not want to take that call.