The Five Best Young Head Coaches in KY High School Football

ATLCat

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlcat,

Your stats on Smith are off by a year last year was only his second year as head coach. Riherds.com has the last year of Mark Nelson assigned to Brandon for some reason but below is the actual stats for the coaches of South for the first 5 years.

YEAR COACH RECORD PLAYOFFS

2011 Mark Nelson 4-7 First Round

2012 Mark Nelson 9–4 Third Round, Region 1 Runner up

2013 Mark Nelson 11-2 D2 Champs, Region 1 Runner Up

2014 Brandon Smith 13-1 D2 Champs, Region 1 Champs, State Semi's 3A

2015 Brandon Smith 15-0 D2 Champs, Region 1 Champs, 4A State champs

All Time Record 52–14

This makes his record even more impressive to me 28 and 1 in his first two years and State championship in his second year.

Edited by jcarter

I think Randy Borchers fits in this criteria still as I think he is right at 10 years. What he has done is quite impressive because he didn't step into a top football program school who was already winning before he got there like some others. He has had to build from the ground up.

He has a state runner up appearance, another state semi final appearance and was a two point conversion away from another regional championship and semi final appearance last year at Cooper.

I think Randy Borchers fits in this criteria still as I think he is right at 10 years. What he has done is quite impressive because he didn't step into a top football program school who was already winning before he got there like some others. He has had to build from the ground up.

He has a state runner up appearance, another state semi final appearance and was a two point conversion away from another regional championship and semi final appearance last year at Cooper.

Have to agree. What he has accomplished in the short 8 year existence of the school is impressive and doing it at the 5A and 6A levels warrants at a least HM.

I know he coached at Ludlow in 2006... I thought he had coached somewhere else prior to Ludlow (Scott maybe?) but I could be off.

I know he coached at Ludlow in 2006... I thought he had coached somewhere else prior to Ludlow (Scott maybe?) but I could be off.

I believe he was set to become the coach at Scott at one point, but things fell through at the last minute and he ended up staying at Ludlow.

Not in the young ones category, but I think Coach David Buchanan could be classified in the current day coaches. He did a great job at Paris, Mason County and will do the same at Mercer County.

He is way TOO OLD to be considered. :lol2:

I would put Jamie Reed from South Oldham into the conversation. He took over a program that was down and turned it around. South has won three straight district titles and came within a point of winning the Regional Title and going to the semi-finals this past year. The program as a whole has thrived under his leadership, with the middle school team making the state finals this past season.

I would put Jamie Reed from South Oldham into the conversation. He took over a program that was down and turned it around. South has won three straight district titles and came within a point of winning the Regional Title and going to the semi-finals this past year. The program as a whole has thrived under his leadership, with the middle school team making the state finals this past season.

South Oldham is a program that I would be BUYING if it were a stock.

They really have their act together at the HS level and their feeder system is solid

He decided to stay at Ludlow as an assistant and not take the Scott job and then became the head coach at Ludlow in 2006. Was only the head coach for 2 years before starting the Cooper program. So he is right at the 10 years experience for a head coach now.