The number of Americans who fatally overdosed on weed remains steady...

formerkywrestler

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article:

The rate of absolutely zero deaths from a marijuana overdose remained steady from last year, according to figures released this month by the Centers for Disease Control. But while Americans aren't dying as a result of marijuana overdoses, the same can't be said for a range of other substances, both legal and illicit.

DUI as we all know is huge problem in this country and takes many innocent lives each year.

Adding stoned drivers to buzzed drivers is a win win, right?

Marijuana use in Colorado jumped 22% after legalization, so you have to figure more than a few of them are driving around stoned.

DUI as we all know is huge problem in this country and takes many innocent lives each year.

Marijuana use in Colorado jumped 22% after legalization, so you have to figure more than a few of them are driving around stoned.

You also have to figure more people in Colorado are choosing Marijuana over Alcohol so you almost certainly have less impaired drivers on the road even if the statistics don't back it up. And on the statistics, a skilled police officer will find DUI after DUI if he is on the hunt so 25% less DUIs on the road (random figure I grabbed) may not affect the overall DUI arrests much at all because the skilled officer will just find another one.

I would say this is a complex issue if you try to define it with statistics.

Curious, where did this come from?

I misread your original post. I thought it jumped up 22 percentage points. 10.4% to 12.3 % doesn't really get a reaction from me. I think some of that can be attributed to the stigma of illegality being taken away.

You also have to figure more people in Colorado are choosing Marijuana over Alcohol so you almost certainly have less impaired drivers on the road even if the statistics don't back it up. And on the statistics, a skilled police officer will find DUI after DUI if he is on the hunt so 25% less DUIs on the road (random figure I grabbed) may not affect the overall DUI arrests much at all because the skilled officer will just find another one.

I would say this is a complex issue if you try to define it with statistics.

I'm not defining anything, just stating that it stands to reason that legalized Marijuana would lead to additional impaired drivers on the road even if they aren't caught. Maybe some will choose pot over beer or liquor, but I know a lot of drinkers that would never make that switch.