Is an opposing band playing while your team is offense against the rules or not?

theguru

State by state. Most states do NOT penalize a team. It's a case of game management handling it.

From the officials I've talked to it's nothing if the coaches don't complain. If it is they'll ask game management to handle it.

Per KHSAA it is against the rules. Someone found it during a game and showed it to me but I cannot remember the rule #. The officials say it is not a rule but it is.

http://khsaa.org/handbook/competitionrules/fbcompetitionrules.pdf

Page 5 of 9

Left Column

VIII) SPORTS SPECIFIC COMPETITION RULES

J) Band or other school Provided Music During Live Ball

1) The band is not to play or cheers be given when the ball is alive by rule.

2) Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals. Drums, cymbals, bells and mechanical noisemakers shall not be used to assist cheering.

That being said, there is no POSTED PENALTY for violation. None. Nothing about warning. Nothing about 15-yard fine.

So it's a rule without penalties (in the case of officials, might as well NOT be a rule because ... how do you enforce it?)

Per the OP, if the band is not wearing helmets and pads/or the football team is still on the field a flag should be thrown for equipment violation or too many men on the field, whatever the case may be. But hey, why not give the band a chance to put some points on the board?

As I think about it, I seem to remember this working for a college team in the past.

I didn't think the Stanford band played very good defense.

Terrible stance, did not breakdown, didn't run through the tackle, and got trucked because of it!

I have had experiences in four different games this year where the band was playing during live play. Three were in middle of quarter while band was in the stands, and once behind goalpost just prior to half. No reaction by game officials.