SportsGuy41017

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair question to ask.

So how many would be acceptable?

Why does the number matter?

Well, I would assume the 6-7 extra officers could have been doing something productive with their time instead of arresting a kid for jaywalking. Just a thought.

So you aren't going to answer Clyde's question about how many would be the right number?

Something to think about, the more officers used the less the officers or suspect are apt to get injured. 1 on 1 and you basically have a fight, 2 on 1 is a little better but still yet still have to apply quite a bit of force to subdue someone with just 2 people. So on and so on.

There others officers were doing something important, they came to a call of "Officer needs assistance" They didn't know what the call was exactly, they don't wait for someone to get there and call back for more reinforcements. When the officer called for back up the closest officers responded, as they should do in ever situation. I think we can all agree that if an officer calls for assistance or backup we'd rather there be too many police officers respond than not enough to handle the situation.

Why is the kids resisting?

Sad...

I am not sure of what led to this "escalating" to what the video shows, but my guess is the officer was not out writing jay walking tickets - I've never heard of that - rather he noticed this kid was jaywalking (maybe he stepped in front of traffic, who knows?) and the cop tried to get his attention but he ignored him. I am not defending the cop's actions necessarily, but people do have an obligation not to full-on defy authority. Let us say the video starts and 30 seconds later the cop walks away. The crowd erupts in applause and this kid is lauded for not adhering to an officer's demands, what kind of message does that send?

Well, I would assume the 6-7 extra officers could have been doing something productive with their time instead of arresting a kid for jaywalking. Just a thought.

I'm not sure what the process is. My guess (key) is that the arresting officer made a call for immediate backup and all in the are responded.

Don't forget that there was a crowd there as well. It wasn't that loud lady.

I'm all for police using a strong show of force to a)end the current issue and b)quell any potential crowd issues.

So you aren't going to answer Clyde's question about how many would be the right number?

Something to think about, the more officers used the less the officers or suspect are apt to get injured. 1 on 1 and you basically have a fight, 2 on 1 is a little better but still yet still have to apply quite a bit of force to subdue someone with just 2 people. So on and so on.

There others officers were doing something important, they came to a call of "Officer needs assistance" They didn't know what the call was exactly, they don't wait for someone to get there and call back for more reinforcements. When the officer called for back up the closest officers responded, as they should do in ever situation. I think we can all agree that if an officer calls for assistance or backup we'd rather there be too many police officers respond than not enough to handle the situation.

There were 9 there, and I said the extra 6-7 could've been doing something productive. Seems like I did answer it if you were paying attention.

I'm not sure what the process is. My guess (key) is that the arresting officer made a call for immediate backup and all in the are responded.

I'm all for police using a strong show of force to a)end the current issue and b)quell any potential crowd issues.

What potential crowd issues? The crowd was very tame.

Also, the "kid" is 16 and has a little size to him. He wasn't some puny weakling.

The arresting office wasn't going to end this by himself.

I'd also say that this video helps the officers.

I did some searches on Twitter. A few said the 9 officers beat the kid bloody.

Simply not true.

Exactly. That is policing 101. It is why on what seems to be simple traffic stops you often see 2 or 3 vehicles on a scene.

What potential crowd issues? The crowd was very tame.

Potential is the key word. Police don't wait to see if there are crowd issues. There were more than a few people standing around. All it takes is that one spark.

Show of force keeps it at "potential."

I'd also say that this video helps the officers.

Helps them with what? This is a minor issue.

Was it excessive? IMO, yes it was, mainly due to the number of officers and the fact it was for a jaywalking kid.

Was it something that warrants some sort of discipline? Not in the slightest IMO.