9 officers arrest black teen after jaywalking

SportsGuy41017

Nine police California officers arrested a black teenager and slammed him onto concrete while apparently arresting him for jaywalking.

Witnesses said a Stockton police officer ordered the teenager to sit down, but the teen instead continued walking toward a waiting bus, reported RT.

Bystander Edgar Avendaño begins recording at that point, showing the officer leaning hard on the teen, who is seated on a brick landscaping wall, and then striking the teen with his baton.

The officer then uses the baton to pin the teen’s ankles against his body as bystanders urge him to stop.

“It’s a kid!” a bystander yells. “Get off him, he’s been jaywalking. Leave him alone, he didn’t do anything wrong.”

Police Brutality California: It Takes 9 Stockton Officers To Arrest 1 Teen For Jaywalking [VIDEO]

Edited by Jumper_Dad
R(8)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see a beating.

Actually, other than debating whether you really want to pursue a jaywalker, I don't see an issue with how it was handled. The kid wouldn't comply. They took him to the ground , not violently, and got him cuffed.

The other 8 then made sure the crowd didn't lost their collective mind.

No clue what happened before the video so....

Once the officer had it in his mind that he was going to cite the young man, what would have been a better way to handle it when the young man wouldn't "turn around?"

How long should police allow someone to defy orders?

For those bothered, tell me which part of this scenario that we can actually see bothers you and how it SHOULD have been handled.

If I'm Chief I would ask the officer why he decided to pursue a jaywalker. Does he always write jaywalkers? Is a jaywalker worth the potential problem that we saw? Yes, it's a violation but not all violates are worth the potential downside.