Should Israel launch a preemptive strike against Iran?

theguru

I'm not on anyone's side. I'm just tired of people wanting to get into another conflict with a country that is of no threat to us.

No one , no one wants war in this thread. Zero . But you also have to be pragmatic and understand we don't live in utopia and be aware of problems around you.

In perfect world we would never need war and it should always be a last option. But this world isn't perfect , far from it and sometimes we need to discuss real threats.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Israel doesn't take care of them? Last I check they're pretty good in taking out terrorist.

They haven't stopped and now Israel feels like this deal empowers Iran further. So I think the question Guru raised is a legitimate one. I don't think we are at the point yet where a strike is needed. But I think discussing what that line is a real discussion needed to be had.

No one , no one wants war in this thread. Zero . But you also have to be pragmatic and understand we don't live in utopia and be aware of problems around you.

In perfect world we would never need war and it should always be a last option. But this world isn't perfect , far from it and sometimes we need to discuss real threats.

Iran has no nukes. The moment they make a move, they are gone from the face of the planet. They are no real threat.

They haven't stopped and now Israel feels like this deal empowers Iran further. So I think the question Guru raised is a legitimate one. I don't think we are at the point yet where a strike is needed. But I think discussing what that line is a real discussion needed to be had.

My point is that I have a hard time believing that the US and Isreal actually don't welcome a war with Iran.

Jbird,

Nobody mentioned the U.S. getting involved, this is about Israel attacking Iran not the U.S. Israel won't need our help. You appear to be on the Iran side of the debate.

I'm not on anyone's side, also let's not kid ourselves, we will get involved.

This is from a few months ago...

The Bethlehem-based news agency Ma’an has cited a Kuwaiti newspaper report Saturday, that US President Barack Obama thwarted an Israeli military attack against Iran's nuclear facilities in 2014 by threatening to shoot down Israeli jets before they could reach their targets in Iran.

Following Obama's threat, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu was reportedly forced to abort the planned Iran attack.

According to Al-Jarida, the Netanyahu government took the decision to strike Iran some time in 2014 soon after Israel had discovered the United States and Iran had been involved in secret talks over Iran’s nuclear program and were about to sign an agreement in that regard behind Israel's back.

The report claimed that an unnamed Israeli minister who has good ties with the US administration revealed the attack plan to Secretary of State John Kerry, and that Obama then threatened to shoot down the Israeli jets before they could reach their targets in Iran.

Al-Jarida quoted "well-placed" sources as saying that Netanyahu, along with Minister of Defense Moshe Yaalon, and then-Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman, had decided to carry out airstrikes against Iran's nuclear program after consultations with top security commanders.

'Obama Threatened to Shoot Down IAF Iran Strike' - Middle East - News - Arutz Sheva

I don't really agree with your first paragraph explanation. It's partially correct I guess but a little simplified.

I agree. But it's no more simplified than the "we created a homeland for Jewish people". The white washing of our motives in helping create Israel is a huge misstep in our accounting of our involvement there. I absolutely am glad that the Jewish people have a homeland. But the way it was created was ugly, messy, and not at all as altruistic as we like to present it.

Iran has no nukes. The moment they make a move, they are gone from the face of the planet. They are no real threat.

A country that has funded the amount of violence they have even over the last 5 years is no threat ?

A threat to us currently , nope. We could end them tomorrow. Israel isn't the United States.

But if you look at the globe on a macro scale and understand the relations being built with Iran/ Russia/China , we are living in scary times. It shouldn't be taken lightly and these discussions are healthy.

I agree. But it's no more simplified than the "we created a homeland for Jewish people". The white washing of our motives in helping create Israel is a huge misstep in our accounting of our involvement there. I absolutely am glad that the Jewish people have a homeland. But the way it was created was ugly, messy, and not at all as altruistic as we like to present it.

It wasn't clean but it was legitimate . The part that always annoys me about these conversations and I know you didn't say it. Is when Palestine comes up. It was never a country and I don't understand why they feel entitled to their own country.

The landowners and the government's in that area at that time came to agreement to form Israel. Palestinians should be made at the surrounding countries not Israel.

I'm not saying let's have no discussion. You say Iran isn't a threat to US I agree and you're right Israel isn't the US, but Iran sure as hell ain't Israel.

I think you under sell their capabilities and their alliances. You a creating a false narrative often heard of anti Israel crowd. Whether you are or not.