Cincinnati Police Chief

SportsGuy41017

It looks like today Chief Blackwell will get a no confidence vote from the FOP. What is their beef with the chief? Low moral? The state of violence out there, not only towards the public but towards officers as well will have that effect. Needing more officers? How does he work that around with having to stick to a budget? He can't simply say I am going to spend more to hire more officers so city council I demand a check now to cover it? As hard as it is being a cop these days and getting the respect, it has to be at least as hard on a police chief.

"It's time for Police Chief Jeffrey Blackwell to leave, says a Cincinnati city councilman who has supported the chief previously.

The statement from Councilman Wendell Young comes in the wake of an announcement from the Cincinnati Police union that it's planning a vote of no confidence on the chief, who has run the department of 1,144 employees for the last two years and has coped the past six months with shootings, the murder of an officer and questions about his policing strategy.

-----

"If the FOP issues are low morale, wages or other personnel issues, dictate those items to the mayor, the city administration or city council." Simpson wrote in her statement. "Not Police Chief Jeffrey Blackwell. He is working with the resources we have given him and is doing the best job he can."

Cranley said Blackwell has been a good spokesman for Cincinnati "as we have dealt with some tough issues lately" including the death of Police Officer Sonny Kim and the fatal shooting of Samuel DuBose by a University of Cincinnati police officer.

"In any organization, there are diverse viewpoints," Cranley said. "The FOP is entitled to their opinion and may have legitimate concerns. For our city to be effective, we will need to find a better working relationship."

Councilman: It's time for Blackwell to move on

When I was KY a few weeks ago I remember reading the Sunday paper and they had a large article dedicated to him and it wasn't positive. They brought up many points.

One that stood out was his spending habits. Called into question was the excessive OT given to people in his inner circle for frivolous events/issues instead of pushing that OT out to the men on streets.

That's the only thing I remember from the article.

The problem with morale 90% of the time in large departments usually have to do with things out of the Chiefs control and that starts with job security. The Cincinnati City Council every year has talked about cutting back police etc. due to budget constraints. That is where most of the moral issues I would bet are stemming from.

Unfortunately it's the Police Chief who has to be the scapegoat for blame by his employees which are the police officers themselves.

The problem with morale 90% of the time in large departments usually have to do with things out of the Chiefs control and that starts with job security. The Cincinnati City Council every year has talked about cutting back police etc. due to budget constraints. That is where most of the moral issues I would bet are stemming from.

Unfortunately it's the Police Chief who has to be the scapegoat for blame by his employees which are the police officers themselves.

My understanding it has to do with actual policing strategy and his use of the budget.

This guy was never a good fit for CPD. Seems to be generally accepted that he lacks connection with his department, is more about photo / media ops than actual rank and file interaction and just overall not a good leader.

Yes, the gun violence has escalated beyond what any would expect, but this guy does not command respect for the position and you just don't get a warm fuzzy "leadering" feel from him.

Tough enough out there right now for police officers, time for him to go

City fires police chief Jeffrey Blackwell

In the five-page memo, Black gives these reasons for firing Blackwell:

•Blackwell verbally abuses and insults staff

•Put the integrity of the police department at risk

•Disregarded chain of command

•Retaliated against staff

•Alienated and disregarded his executive team

•Morale is at unacceptably low levels

•Favored group of officers inappropriately received overtime

•Unavailable during critical public safety moments

•Has an unprofessional obsession with publicity and self-promotion, including taking selfies along the procession route for fallen officer Sonny Kim

•Used his position to get tickets to sporting events, but only took them if they were free