Alumni Football USA

We played one through Gridiron Alumni back in April and have another one scheduled for October 3rd but will most likely be moved to the spring due to having a hard time finding a field. It was worth the risk and it's not like everyone thinks. Yeah a few big hits here and there but everyone knows everyone has to work. Did it for the love of the game, not trying to relive old glory days like some people say.

It just seems so dangerous to me. What if someone injuries their brain or breaks an ankle. Be careful if you are thinking about one of these games.

Totally agree. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen. In my mid 20's I had a friend talk me into playing semi pro football. At the first practice, it took me about 2 minutes to realize I had made a terrible decision. Let's just say a lot of the guts out there weren't playing just for the love of the game. More than a few were there just to try to put guys in the hospital, and that included their own teammates during practice. With a wife and two very young kids and a decent job, I knew I had no business playing football and risking serious injury.

Flag football, sign me up. Live, tackle football, no way I'm playing.

Totally agree. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen. In my mid 20's I had a friend talk me into playing semi pro football. At the first practice, it took me about 2 minutes to realize I had made a terrible decision. Let's just say a lot of the guts out there weren't playing just for the love of the game. More than a few were there just to try to put guys in the hospital, and that included their own teammates during practice. With a wife and two very young kids and a decent job, I knew I had no business playing football and risking serious injury.

Flag football, sign me up. Live, tackle football, no way I'm playing.

I, too, was invited to play semi-pro upon my return from Mexico. I thought about it for about 2 seconds and said absolutely not. When I was in Mexico, friends of mine from my flag football league asked me to play a "Friendly," or scrimmage with another American Football club. I could only picture my ACL tearing and having to go to a hospital down there for X-Rays....again, no thanks. Football was fun, but it is more than over.

If you have a job where you can miss 6-8-12 weeks or longer due to a broken ankle or torn up knee then by all means go have at it. Most people couldn't afford to miss that much work nor do they have employers that would allow them to miss that long without being replaced.

I went to a practice a couple of years ago for a local reunion game. Everyone was so excited to be there, we didn't even stretch (bad idea) within a few min of running passing routs, my calf exploded. Needless to say, I didn't participate in any more outings, let alone the actual game. :no:

Alumni games work really well, and can be lots of fun in many sports. Baseball and basketball come to mind. While there is risk of injury, many guys can go out there and compete at least reasonably well, and there usually isn't someone out there trying to tackle or hit you. Other sports, while they may not be contact free, contact and hitting are not vital aspects to the game. The physicality of football just makes it a bad choice for a fun, alumni event.

We used it as a fundraiser. Drew a pretty good crowd for not having much success in football as a school. Donated our proceeds back to the high school program. It just depends on how you look at it. Both teams came into knowing what was at risk and knew we had families to support. Of course the risk is there though. We played a team consisting of Bourbon/Harrison/Montgomery County and beat them quite easily. They had class though even being down as much as they were at one time, it didn't get dirty. You do risk some bad seeds but in our case the positives outweighed the negatives.

All the points made make a lot of sense. But I would say I'm more worried about getting injured at my job as opposed to playing football. (I am a police officer). But I also see it as a good place to raise money for my school. Looking at the numbers on the site it seems like they have made plenty and that will do nothing but good for them.

All the points made make a lot of sense. But I would say I'm more worried about getting injured at my job as opposed to playing football. (I am a police officer). But I also see it as a good place to raise money for my school. Looking at the numbers on the site it seems like they have made plenty and that will do nothing but good for them.

Thank you, sir.