Northern Kentucky Power Rankings 08-24-15

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave the Highlands vs. Cooper ranking a good bit of thought. Maybe it had a bit to do with the time of night that I finished things up, but I had a lot of varying thoughts on the ranking.

The basic premise of my thinking was this:

Cooper is good. REALLY good. I think the Cooper football program's record, topped with this win last Friday, has proven that Coach Borchers is among the premier coaches in Kentucky. That said, Coach Weinrich is pretty much right up there with Borchers. Both teams are extremely well coached.

On Friday, we saw the Birds get outplayed in essentially every aspect of the game. Cooper came out ready to go, and Highlands didn't. To say that isn't the average Highlands modus operandi would be an understatement. If there's one thing I've learned from closely paying attention to Highlands football for the last 25 years, it's that Highlands improves each week...always. I expect to see the Bluebrirds playing with a MAJOR chip on their shoulder for the remainder of the season.

No doubt that Cooper is NOT going to be gearing down, but I was also taking some major consideration in the fact that Highlands is going to be doing some MAJOR gearing up now.

Long story short, I think we're going to learn a lot in the upcoming games about where these two teams belong in the power ranking. Maybe I was wrong this week, maybe I wasn't. I won't have any problem admitting that I didn't have it right if that's how it shakes out.

Colonel, you did a terrific job with this ranking overall and I was hoping someone else would comment on this before me. But even though your previous post is very eloquent, I don't see how in any setting where Cooper beats Highlands convincingly (as they did last Friday) and is ranked ahead of them in the next ranking. I realize H may or could be better than Cooper later, but not right now. I promise not to beat this poor old horse anymore. It is a tough job ranking teams and you did super overall.

I gave the Highlands vs. Cooper ranking a good bit of thought. Maybe it had a bit to do with the time of night that I finished things up, but I had a lot of varying thoughts on the ranking.

Cooper is good. REALLY good. I think the Cooper football program's record, topped with this win last Friday, has proven that Coach Borchers is among the premier coaches in Kentucky. That said, Coach Weinrich is pretty much right up there with Borchers. Both teams are extremely well coached.

On Friday, we saw the Birds get outplayed in essentially every aspect of the game. Cooper came out ready to go, and Highlands didn't. To say that isn't the average Highlands modus operandi would be an understatement. If there's one thing I've learned from closely paying attention to Highlands football for the last 25 years, it's that Highlands improves each week...always. I expect to see the Bluebrirds playing with a MAJOR chip on their shoulder for the remainder of the season.

No doubt that Cooper is NOT going to be gearing down, but I was also taking some major consideration in the fact that Highlands is going to be doing some MAJOR gearing up now.

Long story short, I think we're going to learn a lot in the upcoming games about where these two teams belong in the power ranking. Maybe I was wrong this week, maybe I wasn't. I won't have any problem admitting that I didn't have it right if that's how it shakes out.

Sorry my friend, but that still doesn't explain why Highlands according to you was ranked ahead of Cooper.

Most good teams improve as the season goes on and Borcher's coached teams have shown that they also do. 3 district championships in the last 4 years along with 2 Regional Championships and a state final appearance all within the last 3 years of a program only 7 years old. Sorry but your explanation doesn't really hold much water.

The fact that it wasn't close in any aspect of the game tells me you just kind of slighted Cooper. Sorry.

Highlands great team and great program...YES!!! But Cooper has done everything it needed to do and still gets dissed.

I do appreciate all the hard work you put into this. I will just echo what Purple88 said.

The poll is for this week, not for week 11. Week 11 the poll could be much different and the teams could be different with Highlands ahead, but this is week 1. Right now in week 1 Cooper proved they are better. You can't have a weekly poll if you are basing your rankings off of what could happen in the future or for that matter what happened in years past.

I understand this is all in good fun and all, but this is the exact ting Cooper fans have been talking about for years. It may sound old, but this poll basically proves the point they've been saying all along and that is Cooper gets no respect. When they beat, not only beat but in every aspect dominate the way they did Friday night against the #1 team in the area and still get placed behind that very team they dominated. That sir is what is called getting no respect even when it is by far earned. Even when HHS fans say the exact same thing it makes you wonder what exactly Cooper has to do to finally earn some respect.

Edited by Hellbird

If it were a little closer game, I could buy all that. Cooper took a 14-0 lead in the first quarter and Highlands never got within 2 scores after that. For that reason, I would have Cooper at 2. I love what you are doing with the power ratings so please keep it rolling.

1.Cooper

2.Ryle

3.Covcath

4.SK

5.Beechwood

Just another angle to consider...:lol2:

Nah, CWB has already explained that this poll has nothing to do with who is best each week but who in his mind will get better due to their history so I don't want Cooper ever to be #1 in this one....it would jinx them. Let them continue to go on with no respect, shoot with his logic I think Beechwood should be #2 because they have been known to get better as the season goes on and they have 11 titles. Then NCC should be #3 because they have won titles after Cooper has beaten them the same year, so they must be able to improve as the season goes on also, and then maybe Holy Cross #4 because Cooper put a running clock on them after they won the State title. I'm looking at Cooper to be somewhere around 8 or 9 lol

Here is the rankings according to logic of ranking teams because they get better as the season goes on.

1. Highlands

2. Beechwood

3. NCC

4. Holy Cross

The rest is a coin flip.

Nah, CWB has already explained that this poll has nothing to do with who is best each week but who in his mind will get better due to their history so I don't want Cooper ever to be #1 in this one....it would jinx them. Let them continue to go on with no respect, shoot with his logic I think Beechwood should be #2 because they have been known to get better as the season goes on and they have 11 titles. Then NCC should be #3 because they have won titles after Cooper has beaten them the same year, so they must be able to improve as the season goes on also, and then maybe Holy Cross #4 because Cooper put a running clock on them after they won the State title. I'm looking at Cooper to be somewhere around 8 or 9 lol

Here is the rankings according to logic of ranking teams because they get better as the season goes on.

1. Highlands

2. Beechwood

3. NCC

4. Holy Cross

The rest is a coin flip.

Feel any better....? :)

The poll is for this week, not for week 11. Week 11 the poll could be much different and the teams could be different with Highlands ahead, but this is week 1. Right now in week 1 Cooper proved they are better. You can't have a weekly poll if you are basing your rankings off of what could happen in the future or for that matter what happened in years past.

My thinking in a nutshell. This week's rankings should reflect where these teams are this week.

I realize there are times when we might feel like the better team didn't win and rank accordingly. This game between HHS and Cooper wouldn't fall into that category.