Kenton County Resource Officer/Sherriff's Office sued for restraining Disabled

Pioneer.Pride

I'm certainly no attorney buy I would think that would mean if an arrest occurred. This seems he put the kid in timeout and cuffed him but the kids were not charged with a crime. Completely different circumstance.. I'm willing to bet a few people get fired for this. They are (or at least should be taught) deescalation techniques that do not include restraints... I will say this isn't the first time this happened the last few years. It happened a few years ago but was kept out of the media by a settlement and the school paid out lots of money

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the rules have changed, because I used to work in a school district, in what you would call the "behavior unit" in which we were trained and had to on many occasions use restraints and physical restraint tactics on unruly students. I'm puzzled because of the above statement by the bolded. If the kid did punch the officer or teacher or staff for that matter, it actually is law enforcement action at that point as the student should be charged. I know many of you are going to say, he's 8, but that does not matter there is no lee way on that, its an automatic charge.

There are still "behavior units", as you said. The lawsuit said the boy had been restrained already by the Vice Principal and the special education teacher...they would generally be among the faculty/staff members to be trained on approved methods for physically restraining students. Said they managed to hold on to him for 4 to 5 minutes each prior to the kid going to the bathroom, coming back, and allegedly swinging at the officer.

My question is, if they had been able to control him (all 56 pounds of him) for 5 minutes at a time, what made him so tough that all of the sudden the cop needed to handcuff him? And even if they had to resort to some kind of actual restraint device, would it be so hard to come up with something to restrain him by his wrists like they do any other person instead of hog-tying him like that by cuffing his freaking biceps behind his shoulder blades? Talk about cruel and unusual.

Not saying what the officer did was right or the best way to handle this child but some situations are impossible to deal with. My daughter is a teacher and they have to put these unruly kids in with the regular class. All they do is disrupt class all day long and there is nothing the teachers can do about it. She had one last year that hit her on a daily basis along with other students but yet because they are special you have to tolerate it. Until you have been in their shoes it is easy to criticize their actions.

No one is criticizing the teacher. It's obviously a tremendously difficult situation for teachers. In this instance it appears the boy was already isolated from the class so there is no argument that what the resource officer did was way over the line.

I've never been in cuffs and never used cuffs so I am asking a question here. Could it be that the cuffs are too large for a child's wrists and so that is why the officer used them in the manner that he did?

There is virtually no discipline in the schools. All forms of corporal punishment have been removed and there isn't anything that can be done to students who have no fear of going to the principal's office or receiving detention or whatever else is allowed these days. Many parents seem to not be willing to help the schools with the discipline of their child. They don't give them the meds that have been prescribed for them and you have out of control kids who are daily causing disruptions in class, disrespectful to teachers and fellow students, physically violent towards students and teachers, etc. There is little recourse or remedy for the behavior issues.

I do not condone what I see on the video but I am sure this is not the first time this child has been in a disciplinary situation. I would not be surprised if other students have previously been victims of this child's violent outbursts.

The discipline of unruly students needs to be taken more seriously by our society. We allow them to get away with unacceptable behavior that will one day get them in trouble with the law. We are not doing them any favors by being so tolerant now.

As was pointed out on GMA by their legal consultant, whether this child has ADHD or some other similar issue should not change what behavior is acceptable in the classroom. Every child's behavior should be held to the same standard.

Not saying what the officer did was right or the best way to handle this child but some situations are impossible to deal with. My daughter is a teacher and they have to put these unruly kids in with the regular class. All they do is disrupt class all day long and there is nothing the teachers can do about it. She had one last year that hit her on a daily basis along with other students but yet because they are special you have to tolerate it. Until you have been in their shoes it is easy to criticize their actions.

My daughter lasted about one year as a special needs teacher. She just could not take it any longer. Between unruly kids like this one and parents who blame the school for their horrible parenting and looking for any reason to sue the school, it just ruined her experience...and she has about as big a heart as anyone I know. She actually had some kids on medication who would some days not take it (she could tell immediately the days they were not on the meds) because their PARENTS basically stole the kids meds and took it themselves. Don't be a cop or a teacher!

You raise a fair point. I'm not sure what the right response is but this isn't it.

Part of the reason private schools are worth the money!

Private schools do not have special needs programs for kids that have anything more than mild disabilities. Of coarse, if you are intent on isolating a gifted child from the challenged populatiion, that purpose is served.

I could argue though, that a gifted child could learn more important lessons from being exposed to challenged kids.